• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Looking for PSOM information

tocarol

Hello everyone. I have had Cavaliers since the mid 1980's - the last few I've had were either retired breeding bitches and rehomed with me or rescues. I relocated a couple of years ago from the New York/Ct. area to Omaha, NE.
Last year I was asked to rescue a male Blenheim estimated to be about 4 or 5 months old wandering around in a bad part of town. The Humane Society was alerted, picked him up and neutered him after no one showed up. They noticed that he was microchipped but it wasn't registered and so the speculation was that he had been at a puppy mill. He demonstrated many of the symptoms of SM, but due to cost and travel constraints, I was unable to travel to get an MRI. Whatever was going on, clearly he was having what seemed to be neurological symptoms.

In the meantime, I began to notice a head tilt and chewing on one side of his mouth and researched PSOM. Long story short; after contacting Dr. Lynette Cole at Ohio State Vet School who has been doing a clinical trial on PSOM; I convinced my vet to confer with her. He then was able to find the bulging typmpanic membrane and she told him how to perform the surgery to remove what turned out to be a very large mucous plug. This surgery was 2 weeks ago.

I noticed an immediate difference, no more head tilting or anything that appeared to be neurological until yesterday when I took him him for his checkup. Suddenly at the vet's office he began to do the repeated head tilting/swallowing that he used to do. Today I'm noticing that he is again periodically repeating the head tilting and what looks to be difficulty swallowing! Is it possible the plug could have returned in such a short period of time? We knew it might have to be repeated, but in less than 2 weeks?
I cannot find any information on the site for others who have dealt with PSOM and would appreciate advice and direction. Thanks! So glad to be here!

I'm sorry this has come back. The best thing would be to talk to Dr Cole. I imagine she may recommend doing an MRI if the problem has returned this quickly, if this isn;t a possible occurrence post-surgery. It may be that while the flushing helped the PSOM, something else is actually causing the problem, such as SM. Alternatively to an MRI, some neurologists might try a round of medications to see if the dog responds. Clare's website has some info and definitely is the main info source for SM itself, but Dr Cole knows PSOM best.

Back