View Full Version : Help Choosing a Breeder
19th May 2010, 07:23 AM
So I am curious... if anyone can recommend a breeder? If it is not allowed on the forum, maybe I can have a private discussion through email.. I am contacting breeders on my own, but again I am overall pretty nervous about the process (read "My Story" in Introductions if you want more info). Generally I can tell if the breeder is one to avoid for sure, but then it comes down to just picking that right one.
Questions I have been asking include:
*What health tests do the parents get before breeding?
*Do you participate in showing your dogs? Are they champions?
I know to avoid the places that sell for too cheap, advertise on class fields, advertise "rare" "tiny" or "giant", do not know anything about the breed, or do not breed for the betterment of the breed.. I have been reading through the stickies.
I haven't selected one yet but definitely am not in a hurry. I would really like to hear about some good experiences in the process of selecting a breeder and getting matched up with your dream dog!
Is it better to find a local breeder that you can drive to, is shipping ok or considered cruel?
I live near Seattle, WA and honestly would prefer to drive to pick up my baby but will be happy to pick up from an airport if from an amazing place!
19th May 2010, 11:49 AM
Here is a guide to buying a pupppy, some of the advice will still apply for outside of the uk. http://www.cavaliercampaign.com/buying-puppy.htm
There is also information available under the Library sectionon this forum, Buying and Preparing for a Cavalier.
Good Luck with your search .
19th May 2010, 12:40 PM
Good job on doing your research. I do not know of anyone near you, but you will not be sorry you are taking your time. Can't wait to hear your stories. =) And see photos! =)
22nd May 2010, 12:57 AM
Good for you on being careful on picking a good breeder! I contacted a cavalier club in my state to ask for referrals. I also wanted to make sure the breeder would happily supply me with health clearances on both parents showing they have been checked by cardiologists, optometrists, etc and were free of any problems. My breeder gave me all the paperwork for Polly's parents as well as her grandparents. Also make sure they give you a health guarantee (mine offered a 2 year one) and a few references of people who have purchased pups from them before. Personally, I would not be comfortable having a puppy shipped to me, I want to see the puppy and where she/he comes from myself. I personally don't think most responsible breeders are even willing to ship in my experience. We drove about 3 hours to pick up our girl, it was well worth the drive! I have a friend who purchased a cavalier in another state, she drove about 6 hours to get her. I had a great experience with Polly's breeder, we emailed back and forth all the time and she constantly gave me updates, pictures etc. We still stay in touch, I often send her "Polly Updates" and have even gone to a few dog shows to watch her and Polly's siblings in the show ring. Good luck on your quest!
22nd May 2010, 07:25 PM
Like Erin2834 we searched the 2 national cavalier groups as well as the regional clubs. We drove about 7 hours, spent the night, and brought our Abigail home. The breeder was very good at providing background on both parents as well as their ancestors. Also we were sent photos, given advice on food as well as grooming and crate size etc.
Good luck in your research!
22nd May 2010, 09:00 PM
I think I have selected a breeder I would really LOVE a dog from. She has begun to MRI scan her dogs and is listed on http://www.thecavalierclub.co.uk/start.html, and all her dogs hearts and eyes are current on the OFA website. Her breeding dogs have good hips or better, and normal knees. Also out of all the breeders I have emailed so far, she has been the only one to willingly and promptly answer all of my questions.
Only problem is the breeder is really far away and definitely not a distance I can drive in even a day or two. I am not sure if she will ship a pup to me or not.. I recently asked in another email and am waiting to find out.
I read somewhere to avoid breeders that say they will ship anywhere, but if everything else is good, is this acceptable? In my heart I feel it would in this case, and honestly I hope I can have a pup shipped to me because I really would love a dog from this breeder. One other thing that worries me, is some of the past litters have parents that were both hers...and again I read to be a little wary of breeders who have both parents "on site". However, her dogs have done well in the show ring and with all the health testing she does again this may be just fine.
Can anyone PM me so I can perhaps get opinions on the breeder I have selected, or other good recommendations?
23rd May 2010, 03:31 AM
(Only problem is the breeder is really far away and definitely not a distance I can drive in even a day or two. I am not sure if she will ship a pup to me or not.. I recently asked in another email and am show ring and with all the health testing she does again this may be just fine.)
The breeder I really wanted lived in another state too, but I was determined to get my puppy from her. I flew to her state, and she met me at the airport and took me to her home to see the parents and where she lives and where her puppies live. We had lunch, and she went over all the paperwork, her recommendations, her requests, etc. etc. and then she took me back to the airport and I took my baby home in a little carrier with me in the plane the same day. It was really quite easy. I found a good rate on American Eagle. It was all worth it. She had someone else flying in later that day for my puppy's brother. So, I guess it is fairly common. She would not ship her puppies by themselves.
23rd May 2010, 09:03 AM
Hi! After all your research & patience Reading about breeders, their litters, health issues etc, why would you then not go that last step to ensure that everything that has been said about the breeder & litter are true,you can only do this by going to see the puppy & it's parents in their own environment, otherwise you could (not saying you are), be buying a dud. You need to see the temperment of both parents, their condition, etc
anyway hope it all works out, but if it was me, if go that final step no matter what & if I couldn't I'd continue looking.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.1 Copyright © 2015 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.