PDA

View Full Version : Spaying and Neutering pros and cons



Zumie05
27th May 2010, 11:50 PM
I was reading through a couple of previous threads about the topic of when to spay or neuter your dog. I definitely plan on speutering my Cavalier.

One breeder I feel pretty good about however wants the dog fixed at 6 months old, stating that females will have a 99% chance of never developing mammary cancer, and that waiting until the growth plates close is an old wives tale.

I was really hoping to wait to spay or neuter until my dog was at least 10 - 12 months old, and I believe if I wait longer then my contract may be voided. I am not sure however because I have not asked this breeder's opinion on what would happen should I decide to wait longer. I don't want this to be the reason she decides to not sell me one of her pups.

Help!

Teresa
27th May 2010, 11:53 PM
that seems very young....As far as my vet has said the best time is after the first season and before the second...

Karlin
28th May 2010, 01:36 AM
Actually, most vets tend to recommend spaying by 6-7 months before the first heat as there is an increased lifetime risk of mammary cancer if left til after the first heat: a 7% chance -- one in 14 -- which is a pretty high cancer risk (many of the coutner arguments against spaying because of cancer risks are actually quoting really minute risks, in comparison). Some vets however and breeders feel there are advantages to bone and hormonal growth to wait til about 10-12 months, or after the first heat or after bones stop growing (growth plates close). Waiting til after the second heat means a one on four lifetime chance of mammary cancer (and indeed this regularly is a problem in female rescue dogs that are older and unspayed). I've heard very few vets recommend waiting however as they tend to weigh up both the cancer risk and the risk of an unwanted pregnancy (in itself a health risk).

There are many discussion of the pros and cons and opinions if you search on the word spay or neuter. :) Those will probably be helpful as they are quite detailed and people may not wish to rehearse previous answers in the same depth. :thmbsup: It is a key issue for many people and can be confusing!

sins
28th May 2010, 11:04 AM
If you have a pre existing contract with the breeder you purchased the pup from,and this is what they require in the contract,then it's best to honour the contract and have the procedure done.
I know it's never an easy thing to do and we want to do what's right for our pets.
I think in future when buying a puppy,ask in advance what the terms of any contract will be and if you feel there's something unpalatable in there or something you cannot deliver on,the maybe try another breeder or ask for a clause to be changed in advance.
I think you also need to take into account that a different breeder may ask the current one for a reference if you want a pup from them,so it may be better to meet the conditions that they've set down.
Hope this helps,
Sins

Zumie05
28th May 2010, 08:27 PM
If you have a pre existing contract with the breeder you purchased the pup from,and this is what they require in the contract,then it's best to honour the contract and have the procedure done.
I know it's never an easy thing to do and we want to do what's right for our pets.
I think in future when buying a puppy,ask in advance what the terms of any contract will be and if you feel there's something unpalatable in there or something you cannot deliver on,the maybe try another breeder or ask for a clause to be changed in advance.
I think you also need to take into account that a different breeder may ask the current one for a reference if you want a pup from them,so it may be better to meet the conditions that they've set down.
Hope this helps,
Sins

Thanks a lot. Luckily I have not made a purchase yet. I did find a wonderful breeder who has all her dogs current for hearts and eyes on OFA, and they all have good hips and knees. Several of her dogs are champions, and in the pedigree for each breeding at least 1 parent in each generation is a Champion. Some of her dogs have dual championships. She requires after a purchase that I continue to yearly test the heart and eyes and mail her the results. She follows the code of ethics and wants me to visit her and her dogs before I purchase. I also talked to her over the phone for over an hour as we were discussing my lifestyle and what I am looking for in a dog.

The ONLY thing I somewhat disagree on is the age to spay/neuter :( Everything else I am extremely happy with and I want my dog to be from her. Perhaps we can negotiate the age in the contract, if I do end up purchasing from her.