PDA

View Full Version : Dog Strollers

Erin2854
30th May 2010, 03:25 AM
I used to think it was the most ridiculous thing to see people using dog strollers. Dogs need to walk and need exercise! But today we went to a really big dog festival and I started to realize they were not such a horrible idea for events like this (not for everyday use in my opinion). There were thousands of people at this outdoor event and it was HOT out. There was a ton of walking involved, lots of vendors selling things, etc. My dog is really petite, so with there being so many people I had to be careful she didn't get stepped on. Also with it being so warm, the pavement was really warm and my girl started getting rather tired so I ended up carrying her for part of the time. She's only 10lbs but that gets heavy after awhile! And trying to carry her, my handbag, shopping bags and a cold drink was next to impossible. It would have been much easier just to throw my items in the basket at the bottom of the dog stroller and let her sit in it and take a nap or just relax. I brought a spray bottle to keep her cool, plenty of water, and there were little man made streams and pools for the dogs to play in around the area which was really nice. There were also lots of air conditioned stores we were able to go into to cool off. But I'm sure we both would have loved the luxury of a stroller! Anyone here use them?

Mindysmom
30th May 2010, 03:58 AM
I bought one when my Mindy got to the point she couldn't go on walks with us anymore and she didn't want to stay home. Sadly I didn't get a chance to use it much with her but Max has been put on very limited activity for the moment so I had him out in it the other day.

Rumor
30th May 2010, 01:00 PM
Yes I use a stroller for Leopold. He has a bad back & can't walk as far as Remus & Loki can. We start out with everybody walking. I can tell when it starts bothering Leo. He goes in the stroller & we can continue to walk.

Lani
30th May 2010, 02:55 PM
We have a couple, both originally bought for our elderly dog Julie because of her heart murmur and when she was dying of cancer. We like to take walks along the river on a paved path and this way she could still get out and enjoy the breeze off the water.

We haven't used them since she died, but we've also used them for big dog events like you went to. They are great for that. For both the dogs comfort and also so you can stash your stuff underneath and not have to carry it. :)

jacies
30th May 2010, 06:45 PM
I have one that I use for Chaos, because of her SM she can't always do the whole walk like my other dogs. We use it every day and she loves riding in it. Was also useful last week because Impie by Chi X has hurt his back and also had a ride in it when, luckily, Chaos was walking. Normally he jumps straight out of it but must have been feeling bad because he stayed put. I am now on my second one because the first one broke when I took it to a County Fair and the ground was very muddy and full of potholes. I had bought it from Pet Planet and when I phoned them they very kindly sent me another free of charge. Great service and I highly recommend them.

Cavaliers2kiss
30th May 2010, 07:18 PM
Lacey loves her dog stroller. Ours looks like a dog crate on wheels. The crate comes off the stroller and that is where Lacey rides in the back of my SUV. She thinks it is her home away from home.

When we go to dog events it is so easy just to roll the stroller into the crating area. Most people have to walk their dog and carry a big clumsy crate. Not us! I can even stack Lacey in the crate part on top of another crate and then fold the stroller part and put it somewhere else.

It's great for sleeping in at a hotel, too.

Tania
30th May 2010, 11:00 PM
I used to think it was the most ridiculous thing to see people using dog strollers.

This is how I used to feel!

Then, Molly could not walk very far. We got a childs buggy and converted it. It is ideal because she can pop on and off as she pleases. It means we can now go on better walks. Dougall of course takes advantage of this transportation ;) and Dotty thinks our carrying ons all very strange :eek:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2483/3938286060_7a99802c34.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4018/4654059130_0acef421dc_b.jpg

jacies
31st May 2010, 04:26 PM
Thats brilliant Tania, I have a similar child's buggy as well as the dog stroller. I have not converted it but it is a from birth one and so the seat can lay quite flat. Got it from ebay for the bargain price of 1.70 and also has a rain cover and the inflatable tyres. Don't use that one very often though as its rather heavy and bulky to take in the car.:p

Cathy T
2nd June 2010, 04:55 PM
I love my stroller!!! And I love that I'm seeing more of them at events like dog festivals. I use mine when I'm going on long walks and know the dogs will need a break. Between Shelby's SM, bad knee, heart murmur and herniated disk :( I definitely don't want to overdo things for her. She loves sitting in her stroller and surveying all of those poor souls who have to actually walk to get from point A to point B :D When I first got mine, I got a lot of flack for it. I was told my dogs needed to exercise. Well, they do, but then they get a ride in the stroller to take a break. I especially like using mine when I'm going somewhere where there will be a lot of dogs. Gives me a safe place to put them and take a break.

Cute picture Tanie!!

amanda L
2nd June 2010, 08:17 PM
What a good idea to convert a childs buggy, I am looking to get a doggie stroller, unfortunately :(, its time:(, but seeing your two cavvies looking very happy in it,and reading the other replys has given me hope that she will enjoy it. Can i ask if was it difficult to do, to convert the buggy, its proving very difficult to source one here!

Tania
2nd June 2010, 11:29 PM
What a good idea to convert a childs buggy, I am looking to get a doggie stroller, unfortunately :(, its time:(, but seeing your two cavvies looking very happy in it,and reading the other replys has given me hope that she will enjoy it. Can i ask if was it difficult to do, to convert the buggy, its proving very difficult to source one here!
If you look in a second hand shop, buy one that holds the baby and has another layer underneath for shopping and stuff....get rid of the bit the baby sits in and strengthen with some ply or something stiff the bottom bit , finish with a nice fluffy rug fit for their Royal Bottoms :D

arasara
13th June 2010, 03:05 AM
We LOVE our stroller!! I originally got one when kosmo had a knee surgery (bilateral) and he was unable to walk and even if he did it was random as to how far he could go (some days 5 minutes other days 10) and so for the rest of the walk, I'd pop him in and we'd keep going. Now that he's healed, I have found I am still using it.. Faith got a skin biopsy the other day and was all groggy when I picked her up so she rolled and Kos walked, and I took them to the garden center and pushed them with one hand and pulled the cart in the other.. LOL Tomorrow I'm going downtown to a big festival (woofstock!) and there are TONS of dogs.. I will bring the dogs with the stroller so, like you, I can pack everything and still let them enjoy the show :thmbsup: :flwr: We got the jeep orginally but now have the AT3 as well - I LOVE the At3 for big crowds :) Good luck!

Zoe bowie
13th June 2010, 09:06 AM
You can get a dog stroller in the pet store in blanchardstown, it looks really cute! Not sure what it costs though?!? I wouldn't have been a fan of these but you guys are right to use them when they can't walk far anymore, just to get them out, you've converted me :)

love the photos Tania :thmbsup:

toledodogtraining
15th July 2010, 04:21 AM
I've been thinking the same thing as everyone's posts! I thought how silly they were, but now that I have my Cavalier & we go to so many doggie events (I'm a dog trainer) I think it would be nice to give him a break. Now, my guy has big jeans, and is 25lbs! Not overweight either. :)

Any recommendations on which companies you liked?? Thanks~

arasara
25th July 2010, 05:18 AM
Hi Tonya,

I think it really depends on how many dogs you're putting in the stroller and for what it's intended use is. I went to www.justpetstrollers.com (http://www.justpetstrollers.com) and read those reviews and then youtubed a few of them to see how they worked. At first, I had the Jeep Rubicon jogging stroller but I see they stopped making it. It is beautiful and sturdy but because it's a jogging stroller you have to lift it up to turn corners.. not so convenient in crowds.. I actually found an AT3 stroller on Kijiji and really love it. It's great for crowded areas and I took my dogs to woofstock this year in Toronto (TONS of dogs and people!) and they were pleased as punch. :) It's really handy for events like that. Petgear is the brand on that one.

Good luck with your search! :)

toledodogtraining
25th July 2010, 08:42 PM
Great! Thank you for the links, I will check them out. It's just Dexter. :)

matties mum
30th July 2010, 11:37 PM
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l280/mattiesmum2/212112_06_019-3.jpg
this was my Sam in is stroller I would use it again if needed
---Aileen

toledodogtraining
1st August 2010, 10:00 PM
Oh, so cute!

megdonaldson
3rd August 2010, 01:11 PM
I would definitely recommend a dog stroller. I got one for Buster my cavalier when his heart
disease, syringomyelia and hip dysplasia meant that he could go no further than a few yards.
I took it with me everywhere and at first I did feel a bit daft and some people made comments.
However, Buster took to it very well and it meant that he could enjoy the outdoors whilst sitting
in comfort.:-)

toledodogtraining
4th August 2010, 03:29 AM
It sounds like Buster is one lucky pup. :) Thank you for sharing your experience. ~Tonya