PDA

View Full Version : Success With Supplement for Arthritis in Hips

DSB Cavs
1st June 2010, 03:03 PM
I just wanted to share a recent success that I have experienced with my male Cavalier, Basil. He has "terrible hips" according to our vet. And his x-rays support this. I was using Rimadyl; however, I know that over time it destroys cartilage and causes GI problems. So I read a book by Shawn Messonnier, DVM called the Arthritis Solution for Dogs. It mentioned that the anti-inflammatory response of Sea Cucumber was superior to Rimadyl and phenylbutazone. I purchased a supplement called Ark Naturals Sea Mobility Vension Jerky and Basil has so much energy and runs around like a puppy! He even sits differently now. He used to sit with one leg slightly extended, probably to take the pressure off. There are other products with this ingredient too. I just happened to select this one.

I just wanted to share this. I'm so excited that he is doing better!

Nicki
1st June 2010, 10:09 PM
That's great news - so pleased that Basil is more comfortable and happier :D

I used a product called Sasha's Blend {from Australia} for arthritis and also Syringomyelia, which was really helpful. http://www.sashasblend.com/ {Stabilised Green Lipped Mussel, Abalone and Marine Cartilage.}

Tania
2nd June 2010, 01:03 PM
Both of these products look brilliant. I know humans who swear by green lipped mussel products. At the moment Molly is on Cosequin DS for her hips, do you think I would be better switching her to one of these?

Brian M
2nd June 2010, 02:36 PM
Hi

I had a search last night for this supplement and couldn't find a U.K. source .As Rosie had an incident last year I have been giving her Easefex daily from Vet UK and she has been fine since, but it could be that it was a one off incident or the Easeflex has helped her I don't know?, and as the other three line up with Rosie with open mouths they have been getting a daily chew as well .Is it advisable to give Pops ,Daisy and Lily Easeflex as a preventive or would I be doing more harm than good and poss be increasing their resistance to it in a poss time of future need ,and is it a good product to give.:confused:

Tania
2nd June 2010, 03:34 PM
Hi

I had a search last night for this supplement and couldn't find a U.K. source .As Rosie had an incident last year I have been giving her Easefex daily from Vet UK and she has been fine since, but it could be that it was a one off incident or the Easeflex has helped her I don't know?, and as the other three line up with Rosie with open mouths they have been getting a daily chew as well .Is it advisable to give Pops ,Daisy and Lily Easeflex as a preventive or would I be doing more harm than good and poss be increasing their resistance to it in a poss time of future need ,and is it a good product to give.:confused:

Hi Brian, there is a supplier in Ireland, I have emailed them asking if they would send the products here. Will let you know.

Nicki
2nd June 2010, 05:41 PM
It used to be cheaper to obtain the Sashas Blend direct from Australia! I ordered through these people

http://vetnpetdirect.com/

you can convert currency here

http://www.xe.com/

My insurance actually paid out on this supplement {with the agreement of my vet} for arthritis and for Syringomyelia, so if you're using it for a particular condition it might be worth trying to claim...

I couldn't find this combination in any UK products.

Yes you can give it as a preventative, that's how I found out it helped Teddy's Syringomyelia!! Rupert was on it for Arthritis, and I started Teddy as a preventative, and within a couple of weeks he was doing much better. It really helped him for about 18 months.

**Some dogs are allergic to shellfish though so just a note to start them on it gradually.**