• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Murph's started coughing alot..

MurphysMummy

Last time we visited the vet he said when MVD progresses more, Murphy will start coughing alot, and he said the time to be worried is when he wakes up in the morning and coughs...but he does it about every 3/4hours in the daytime, it's like he's trying to cough something up..and it sounds quite chesty too..Do your cav's with MVD cough alot??

Jasper has MVD, and the first sign was when he started coughing in about Dec 08, I had never heard a dog cough before then, and Jasper was our first family dog, it did sound like he had something stuck in his throat, at that time we took him to the vet and he had fluid around his heart. He was put on medication straight away and the cough improved a lot, he still coughs at times, especally if he lays down for quite a long time or if he get agitated about things, also when he get a bit hot, but as this was well over a year ago he has done very well and is monitored with his meds every three months.

It sounds like an old man coughing - I think that is the best way to describe it!

Sorry to hear that Murphy has started coughing now - but as jasperpaw says, the medication is very good and can give them a good quality of life.

Have you taken Murphy to a cardiologist? If possible, that would be the best thing to do, as they are the experts and can advise on medication and start him off on the best regime - they are also good at adjusting meds, sometimes it takes a while to get the balance right for the dog.

You would need a referral from your vet, but if you look at this list, there should be someone near you.

http://www.bsava.org.uk/vcs/
Heart testing {4th down on LHS}
Veterinary Surgeons recommended for Doppler echocardiography examination

Try not to worry too much, once the cough is under control - Murphy will feel much better, and won't know that he has something wrong with him.

Thank you both. I have just looked and the nearest cardiologist is in Derby - an hour away, phew!
Going to monitor Murphy over 2/3 days and keep records of when he coughs..he also gets out of breath very quickly, and i know thats not due to him being unfit, as he is fit and has a good diet..But will keep you all posted.

I can highly recommend Martins near Coventry. He takes his time and explains everything to you.

lindylou

my beautiful blenhem ckc called rowley had a heart murmur at 8 yrs old he used to cough like an old man.he was on vetmedin and fusemide for 2 yrs then the medication no longer worked love kiss murphy every second of the day

Sorry Murphy is coughing, I had a cat that had a heart murmur, coughing was one of the main symptoms. As soon as she was put on medication the cough stopped and she was much happier.

How is Murphy today ?

Murphy has been fine and its just about 1 cough a day now..
So I really do not know what to do..???
I think I will take him to the vets to be 100%..
Murphy's changed in himself alot since we came back from our Holiday..He actually comes to cuddle me instead of me picking him up for cuddles! :l*v:

Hi

I think you are right best play safe and get the vet to check him
over.

Let us know what happens ... cuddles and hugs to Murphy :hug:

Our Vet put Sonny on Vetmedin and water tablets which initially helped the cough a bit. His cough was always worse when he had been lying down dozing.

Worried now..
Took Murphy out for a walk down the park this morning, he was fine, got a little worn out towards the end as usual, but we came back and he had been sleeping and he keeps waking up having snorting fits..it's just the loudest snorting noise and it's really hard to make out what he's doing..any ideas on this?!?!

..I have just researched, and it seems to be "reverse sneezing", but it seems so dramatic when he does it!

Last edited:
This could be related to his MVD, I wouldn't hesitate any longer and get him checked as soon as possible at least he will be made more comfortable, something is clearly wrong and it sounds as though Murphy needs to see a vet/cardiologist sooner rather than later. Let us know how you get on :)
kind regards

Back