PDA

View Full Version : Devastated by sudden loss of my 2 year old boy

amyd
14th June 2010, 03:56 PM
Hi everyone, I've never posted here before but have visited many times and love this forum. My 2 year old black and tan Cav, Charlie, died unexpectedly Thurs. night and I'm totally devastated. Charlie was outside with us and I noticed he looked lethargic and was looking at me strangely and his tongue was pale. I tried calling him to me and he would not come which in unlike him at all. My father was there and he carried him into the house. Charlie got up and started stumbling around. We then took him to the emergency vet. To make a long story short, he apparently was stung by a bee (or possibly a spider or other bug) to which he was allergic--we had no idea he was allergic. He went into anaphylactic shock. While they were treating him at the vet, he developed DIC (not exactly clear on what that is but has to do with his blood platelets I think) and went into cardiac arrest. He died 4 hours after the incident began.

I cannot believe he is gone. He was one of the greatest joys of my life. I loved him immensely. I can't believe he was fine and happy one minute and then gone just a short while later. I don't know what to do without him. It doesn't seem fair that he was here for such a short time.

I've had (and lost) lots of pets over the years, but have never felt so devastated. He was the most special dog you can ever imagine. I'm sure you all feel that way about your Cav's but I just can't imagine any dog being as special as Charlie! :-) My husband feels the same way. There was just something really unique and special about him and I can't believe I'm never going to see him again.

I've never even felt this much pain over losing a human loved one. Thanks for letting me share.

Amy in Maryland, U.S.

Brian M
14th June 2010, 04:13 PM
Hello Amy

I am so so sorry to read of your unexpected loss ,it is so tragic for you ,our warmest thoughts go out to you at this awful time.:(

Nick
14th June 2010, 04:22 PM
Hi Amy,

So sorry to read of your loss. :(

Those of us who have lost a loved pet can empathise with you.

Nick

Cathy T
14th June 2010, 04:35 PM
Oh my gosh Amy.....that's is horrible!! I can only imagine how devastated you are. To lose a pet after an illness is hard enough but to have one suddenly die, more than I can even imagine. I'm so sorry. Wish I could offer more but all I can do is offer my sympathies for your broken heart.

Karlin
14th June 2010, 05:49 PM
I am so, so sorry -- this is just so sad and devastating and all of us can understand how bereft and shocked you must feel. It is just unbearably cruel to have lost Charlie so quickly and without warning. I have heard of a few cases of dogs reacting like this to stings and you did everything you could and all the right things. He was part of your family and you have every right to feel the grief that you do. :flwr:

Love my Cavaliers
14th June 2010, 06:03 PM
I am so, so sorry and I am writing this with tears in my eyes. You're right - it isn't fair . I dread the day it happens to one of mine, but it is so sad to lose Charlie without any warning. My heart aches for you.

emsley
14th June 2010, 06:11 PM
Oh, Amy, I am so, so sorry for your loss of Charlie.
It is so very hard to lose them - especially in such a sudden and unexpected way.
Our heartfelt love goes out to you.

meljoy
14th June 2010, 06:46 PM
Amy,

Im so sorry to hear about little Charlie. We all feel the same about our Cavs here so everyone will totally understand the devastation you are going through.
Sending hugs and best wishes

Mel

Zoe bowie
14th June 2010, 06:50 PM
Oh Amy, I am so sorry that you are experiencing his loss and pain, it is so hard when we lose someone we love, poor Charlie, he will be waiting at the Bridge for you..run free little man...you will be in my thoughts over the coming days, allow yourself to grieve for your fur baby, in time you will be able to remember him without it hurting this much :hug:

Charlifarley
14th June 2010, 06:51 PM
I too am so sorry to read about your devastating loss. I can only imagine how you must be feeling. Cavvies may be small but they take up a huge part of our hearts. :hug:

matties mum
14th June 2010, 08:13 PM
I am so very sorry to read your news

In the air that you breathe
In the sounds that you hear
Don't cry for me Mom and Dad
My spirit is near

I'll watch for you
From the other side
I'll be the one running
New friends by my side

Smile at my memory
Remember in your heart
This isn't the end
It's a brand new start

---Aileen

Sullysmom
14th June 2010, 08:41 PM
I'm also so sorry for your loss. Thinking of you today...

Tania
14th June 2010, 09:08 PM
There is nothing I can say to you that will make you feel better. Life sometimes deals out a cruel hand and to lose Charlie so suddenly is devastating. My heart goes out to you.

izziewizz
14th June 2010, 09:19 PM
so sorry to hear your news what a shock for you its so hard my thoughts are with you

Teresa
14th June 2010, 10:29 PM
How incredibly sad you must be .....It brought a lump to my throat just reading your sad story...Sending you love ..Teresa...xx

Lani
14th June 2010, 10:47 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. :hug:

team bella
14th June 2010, 11:06 PM
That's so tragic. I'm so sorry for your loss.:hug::hug:

Wagtails
14th June 2010, 11:21 PM
Oh Amy, how terribly sad that this should be your first post. Everyone on here probably knows what it is like to lose such a beloved companion, and some of us have also experienced sudden and unexpected losses, which are even harder to bear.

We shall hold you in our hearts and send healing thoughts. Do hope you will be able to share some happier times in the future http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv97/Cavviewagtails/Animations/Heartblowingpoog.gif

James
15th June 2010, 12:54 AM
So sorry for your sudden loss and yes losing a Cavy can be much more painful than losing a human loved one.

pippa
15th June 2010, 12:54 AM
So sorry for your loss :(

Erin2854
15th June 2010, 05:10 AM
I have no words...I can't imagine what you must be going through. I teared up when I read your heartbreaking story...life just doesn't make sense sometimes. My girl means the world to me, I don't even know how I would deal with something like that. I'm so terribly sorry :(

Mom of Jato
15th June 2010, 05:20 AM
I am so sorry to read about the sudden loss of your Charlie. What a sudden and tragic thing to have happen to him. Take care of yourself, and know that we are all sharing in your pain.

amyd
15th June 2010, 05:33 AM
Thank you ALL from the bottom of my heart for all your kind words! I am overwhelmed at all of the messages. It really does help me to hear all of your thoughts at this trying time. I shared the posts with my husband and he says thank you, too! You all are a really special group of people. But what else can you expect from Cav owners? :) Thank you again to everyone who replied!!

Hugs,
Amy

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv188/makdoggett/100_0865-1.jpg

Ciren
15th June 2010, 10:51 AM
That is a stunning picture, massive hugs for your loss.

Sandrac
15th June 2010, 11:42 AM
Amy - So very sorry that Charlie has gone to the bridge far too soon under such tragic circumstances.

What a super picture of him - he certainly was a handsome boy. Maybe when you feel up to it you would like to share more pictures of him.

Sending you and your family :hug:

matties mum
15th June 2010, 12:14 PM
He was beautiful so very sorry
--Aileen

davey
15th June 2010, 01:05 PM
Oh my God, I am so so sorry to hear your sad news, you poor things, what a beautiful wee dog. Thinking of you at this time, it does (eventually) get a little easier...but it takes a long time.... :(

heather r
15th June 2010, 09:17 PM
Amy; I am so sorry of your loss of Charlie so suddenly. I hope that you stay in touch with the board. When our golden died I found that staying in touch with other owners of goldens helped ease somewhat my loss.

Charlie was a beautiful boy.

Heather R

tupup
15th June 2010, 11:47 PM
Im so very sorry for your loss of such a stunning special little fella & in such circumstances, my heart goes out to you.Be kind to yourselves,take care:flwr::flwr:

Shivers
16th June 2010, 10:46 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. Its very hard when its so sudden :(

Charlie was a truly beautiful boy

ice-cavi
16th June 2010, 03:02 PM
So sorry to hear of your terribly tragic loss....
Many warm thought to you :flwr:

Desrae
16th June 2010, 09:01 PM
Oh dear Amy. I'm so sorry for you and poor Charlie. We are here for you.:lotsaluv:

amyd
17th June 2010, 05:19 AM
Just wanted to say thank you all again for your amazingly kind and comforting words. I've visited the board quite a few times since first posting to read the new replies and to re-read the old replies.

Heather R encouraged me to stay in touch with the board because it helped her when she lost her Golden to stay in touch with other owners of Goldens. I've found myself reading through the various threads on this board the past few days and do find that doing so helps me feel connected in some way to Charlie. I'd like to stay in touch with the board, but feel sort of awkward since I don't have Charlie anymore, esp. since I had never posted before this incident! I don't know in what way to participate. I guess I'll find my own way with it.

I'm so glad I posted our story. Your kind words have helped me more than I can express. Thanks again.

Hugs,
Amy

Nicki
17th June 2010, 08:48 AM
Charlie was such a handsome boy, you can see teh love he had for you in his eyes.

I'm sure you must miss him desperately - it's so hard when they are taken from you suddenly and tragically.

It's good that you posted - I hope it helps, many of us understand exactly what you are going through having lost our own Cavaliers suddenly - you feel that they and you have been cheated. :flwr::flwr:

We all adore our Cavaliers so can empathise - and do hope that you stop with us - there are a few members who sadly find their lives empty of a Cavalier right now but still like to join in - it's a link with their beloved breed. I hope you find a place on here - and maybe in time feel able to open your life and heart to another precious wee one.

Right now there will just be a terrible raw pain but taht does ease, I think you always carry a sadness, but you will start to remember the happy times and be able to look back and enjoy the memories and your photos.

Give yourselves time to grieve, Charlie was an important member of your family and people need to respect that even if they don't understand your feelings.

Take care :flwr:

gentess1
18th June 2010, 07:50 AM
I am so so so sorry, I haven't been on here recently because of my sudden loss also, so sorry for the delayed sympathies. We to lost our 2 year old suddenly, but not in the tragic circumstances that you did. I know ( we all know ) how you are feeling, numb, tired emotional. It is over 3 months since Todo was taken, and I won't lie, it still hurts like made, but that proves we ment so much to us, and you will always have the memories of your relatively short time together. Don't try and rush the grieving period like I did, eventually you will be able to smile at pictures and memories. Our thoughts go to you at this time, Regards from all my human and K9 family

vikki
18th June 2010, 08:05 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. I wish I had some words that could take away the hurt for you and your family. you will be in my thoughts

Sabby
18th June 2010, 10:48 AM
Charlie was a gorgeous boy.
I was crying just reading your story. My heart goes out to you and your husband.
Like everyone says take time to grieve and please stay on this Forum. No other dog will ever be able to replace Charlie but maybe in time you allow yourself to open your heart to another little one.
Sending lots of :hug::hug:

amyd
20th June 2010, 04:45 AM
I am so so so sorry, I haven't been on here recently because of my sudden loss also, so sorry for the delayed sympathies. We to lost our 2 year old suddenly, but not in the tragic circumstances that you did. I know ( we all know ) how you are feeling, numb, tired emotional. It is over 3 months since Todo was taken, and I won't lie, it still hurts like made, but that proves we ment so much to us, and you will always have the memories of your relatively short time together. Don't try and rush the grieving period like I did, eventually you will be able to smile at pictures and memories. Our thoughts go to you at this time, Regards from all my human and K9 family

Gentess1, I'm so very sorry to hear you lost your 2 year old Cav, too. I tried going back and finding your story and saw that you lost Todd during an operation. I know you must be heartbroken. My heart goes out to you and your family. Thanks for your sympathies for my family, too. (((Hugs)))

Princess Phoebe
23rd June 2010, 08:41 PM
Hi Amy, so sorry to hear about your devastating loss. My own little girl, Phoebe, passed away in February so I know how hard it is to lose someone so precious. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Nastya
28th June 2010, 10:21 PM
Take care of yourself. Loosing one of these dogs is very tough, make sure you have lots of people who will be there for you and can listen to you when you need to talk. This forum is definately a place where you will be heard.

amyd
1st July 2010, 05:41 AM
Thank you, Nastya and Princess Phoebe. Princess...I'm so sorry for your loss, too. This forum has been great, as has my family.

It will be 3 weeks tomorrow since Charlie died and our kids (ages 6 and 9) want to know when we can get another Cavalier. :) I know they miss having a little furball as sweet as Charlie to love.

matties mum
1st July 2010, 12:12 PM
If you think you are ready I would start to look
, Oh do not say,
"No more a pet I'll have,
To grieve me by it's loss"
And give my place to him.
This is the legacy I leave behind -
Tis all I have to give.

---Aileen

Susa
5th July 2010, 01:10 AM
I am so sorry to read this. You have my very deepest sympathies.

amyd
8th July 2010, 03:26 AM
Thanks, Aileen and Susa. Tomorrow will be 4 weeks and I miss him so much.

matties mum
8th July 2010, 12:00 PM
I do know how hard it is hugs to you
---Aileen

anniemac
9th July 2010, 09:38 PM
I am truly sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how you feel. I am so sorry

Claire L
16th July 2010, 07:24 PM
Amy I'm so very sorry you lost your precious boy Charlie so suddenly. My heart breaks for you :hug: Life is just so unfair and downright cruel at times.

Charlie's photo is beautiful - thanks for sharing him with us and I do hope you stay here on CT . I am doggyless too and I find it somewhat comforting to pop in and out of here every now and then just to keep an eye on all the fur babies and help out in any way that I can.

Sending you big hugs ...............

Louise1823
8th August 2010, 10:01 PM
Im so sorry to hear about your beautiful Charlie, he was a stunning little man and it's so unfair that he has been taken away so suddenly and far too soon.
We too lost our first black and tan boy, he was only 18 months old and his loss was such a huge blow to us - your story reminds me so much of ours.
Thinking of you and sending huge hugs your way xxx

emmastewartliberty
9th August 2010, 12:25 PM
I'm so sorry to read about your Charlie, and send you my deepest sympathies. I know something of what you are going through- we lost our beloved whisper on June 16th , she got acute pancreatitis that didn't respond to treatment, so the sudden shock is truly cruel I know.
She was rescued from a puppy farm, and I have just been making arrangements to collect another little one who was in a similar situation, -I will be getting her in 2 weeks time. , so that will be 2 months after Whispers passing. The time felt right and so maybe it was fate. I hope the "right time" comes for you too, whatever "right" may be.
Thinking of you. Take comfort from knowing you gave him a lovely life.
Emma

Blondiemonster
13th August 2010, 08:49 PM
I am so sorry to read this. I feel for you from the bottom of my heart...
God must've really needed your little guy up in heaven... May he rest in peace forever and be in the heart of all those of who loved him . He was an example of pure joy and love.

cb2u
18th August 2010, 05:36 AM
I am so sorry for your tragic loss of sweet Charlie... I can't even imagine what you are going through. I hope that time will help soften the pain you are feeling.