• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is this a sign of mvd?

Jane P

Harvey is 5 years and 8 months old and has always been very healthy and the vet has never picked up any sign of a heart murmur. However, just recently he has started coughing and gagging occasionally. It doesn't happen very often and is always when he is resting but yesterday he did it quite a few times. He is still running about the same as he always has and doesn't cough when exercising although I think he may be panting a bit more than usual when out on walks. Other than this he seems fine. I know coughing can be a sympton of MVD and was hoping someone could give me some advice. I am taking him to the vet tomorrow.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
I think you are very wise going to the vet to get him checked over - sadly it does sound a bit like a heart cough.

Even if it is, try not to worry too much - the medications available are very effective and dogs can have a very good quality of life for many years.

There is lots of advice for managing MVD on the board.

Please keep us posted - we will be thinking of you tomorrow.

A "cardiac cough" often is due to an enlarged heart. The heart becomes so large that it impinges upon the trachea. If your vet is good at hearing and grading heart murmurs, then it is unlikely -- but not impossible -- that Harvey has an enlarged heart.

It is always wise to have middle-aged and older Cavaliers examined by cardiologists, and I recommend that you consider doing that. The UK Cavalier club has a list of upcoming health clinics at this page:
http://www.thecavalierclub.co.uk/shows/health_calendar_2010.html Look for one nearby that includes a cardiologist examining hearts.

US and Canadian owners: Here is a list of upcoming health clinics for you: http://www.cavalierhealth.org/health_clinics.htm

Hi Jane

Try not to panic as dogs can cough just as we do.
My Charlie has a grade5/6 murmor and has mitral valve displasia- he was coughing a lot in the beginnning of the year and I really panicked and thought we were going to see massive changes in his heart- it to was when he woke in the mornings and when he was rested.
He had a scan and xray and there was NO change at all in the size of his heart or chest cavity.
It was just a chest infection that cleared in a few days with anti biotics.
It just went to show me that when our babies are suffering with inherited diseases that we all too quickly go strait to that rather than think it may be something far less sinister.
It hasnt stopped me worrying every day mind!!

Hope your little one is all ok- keep us updated x

:updte:

Sorry, I've been a bit busy and haven't had a chance to say how we got on at the vet.

Anyway, good news. My vet couldn't find any trace of a murmur and said Harvey's heart sounded really good:). When she gently compressed his trachea he coughed which she said means something is aggravating it. She said she has had quite a few dogs in recently with kennel cough so she has put him on antibiotics just in case and also his temperature was slightly raised. If he continues to cough they will xray him to check for any other problems with his heart and his trachea.

Karen - you are so right, we do instantly panic, but as my vet said with middle aged Cavaliers presenting with any problems like Harvey we should jump up and down and shout very loudly!

Jane that is really good news, you must be so relieved from someone who`s cavalier`s cough did mean an enlaged heart but Jasper did have a heart murmur.

Back