• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

gabapentin

anniemac

I have read about several other dogs being on Gabapentin but their doses are way more than Ella's. I know that each dog is different and it seems to be okay, but of course some days are better than others. There are nights that she will not get comfortable and she can keep me up but overall she has been doing good. She is on 50 mg Gabapentin two times a day, tramadal, and prilosec. She was on a couple more but that is what she currently is on. I read where dogs are taked 300 mg etc and it seems like Ella's dose is low?:-?

Hi Anne! That does seem low compared to what most SM dogs I know are taking, and Ella is still having some symptoms, right? (I think I read that on your blog) We are on 100 mg of Gabapentin, 3 times a day (and occasionally I give her an extra dose if she seems to be having a hard day/night. I also keep Tramdol on hand to use if needed). She also takes 10 mg of Prilosec once a day, and Previcox (anti-inflammatory/pain med) once a day.

If you're having problems, perhaps check with the neuro to see if you can up her dose.

Thanks Holly! She seems to be doing good but it does seem low. I guess I will talk to her neurologist about giving her an extra dose at night if she is having a hard time sleeping.

That dosage does seem low, but all dogs respond differently. Sometimes you want to start low and work your way up so the dog adjusts to the drug to prevent side effects such as being drowsy. However, that is usually for a short time. If the dog is doing well on 50mg then probably no need to increase. If the dog is still having symptoms, then I would talk to her neuro.

Jeszel started on 100mg 3x per day of Gabapentin 18 months ago. Jeszel never had any side effects that I am aware of with Gabapentin. We upper her to 200mg 3x per day a while back as she was still having scratch episodes every day. We now have her at 200mg 4x per day and she is doing well at that doze. She also takes 50mg of Cimetidine 2x per day.

Good luck!

Back