• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Risks of Rabies Vaccines for dogs with SM

Lani

Cross-Posting this with permission from another board so that everyone can be aware of the risks and have an informed discussion with your vet before vaccinating dogs with SM. If your dog is due for a rabies shot and has SM, consider researching to see if there are vaccination exemptions in your state so you can have all the information to make the best choice for your dogs:

I posted this on FB but for those of you with SM dogs be very careful with this vaccine!!! Friday almost ended up in the ER with a severe reaction to a rabies vaccine. We have a severe breakout of rabies in our area (we live in the mountains) so I had all of them updated, which I haven't for years. The vet understood my hesitation and was ok with that, except for now.

She steadily went down hill for 2 weeks until she was having episodes all day long. She's on prednisone now, thanks to Mary Beth in Cananda who is very knowledgeable. It was a mistake to have Friday take that vaccine because of the effects, especially with SM! We almost had to take her to the ER and I was wondering if I might have to put her down. Thank goodness she's doing better today. Keeping my fingers crossed for her.

Please post this on any other cav board!

Thanks for posting this - it's a very hard decision to make.

I do remember that there is a the possibility of exemption for dogs with medical conditions - for those in the US this might be worth researching further.

Back