PDA

View Full Version : I have to make the most awful decision ever and I dont know what to do.

deborah
29th June 2010, 11:55 AM
We have just had the most awful news, we brought out 10 year old CKC to the vet yesterday evening after noticing over the weekend that he is running into doors and bumping of things, he had gone off his food over the last few weeks and has lost weight.

We were told that his sight is totally gone in his right eye and very limited in the left. this really has only come on over the weekend, they kept him in to do bloods to see if it was kidney or liver failure but he bloods came back fine so they x rayed him and have found a tumor in his abdomen that is bleeding internally, but that this has nothing to do with him loosing his sight.

they said they can open him up to see how bad it is but because he is so weak that he may not make it through the operation but on the other hand he may come out fine and get stronger and better, that a blind dog isn't a dead dog.

but he also said that if the tumor is too big they may make a decision there and then to let him go to sleep.

I need to now make the decision on what to do put him through the operation or put him to sleep, they want to operate on him this evening.

I am all over the place and don't know what to do.

Nicki
29th June 2010, 12:28 PM
What a dreadful decision to have to face :(:(:(

I have sent you a PM - you are in our thoughts and I know others will be thinking the same but might not feel able to reply, so please don't think they are ignoring you.

This is something we would all dread having to face - give Cailum a gentle hug from us

Claire L
29th June 2010, 12:43 PM
Deborah, I am so sorry you are in this situation :hug: It's such a hard decision to have to make and such an emotional one. I was in a similar situation 4 years ago with my Rudee ; she was 12yrs and 9mths and she started to go downhill very fast. We were at the vets twice daily and everyone had a different opinion. I was up all night three nights running and in the end I looked at my precious girl and I knew in my heart that it was her time and I let her go peacefully but it took every ounce of strength and courage that I could muster.

Take your time and know that we are all here for you and praying for you and Cailum.

Sabby
29th June 2010, 01:00 PM
Oh Deborah my heart goes out to you.
I canít give you any advice only you know what is right in the end. I will be thinking of you and praying for Cailum.

Brian M
29th June 2010, 01:06 PM
HI

Kindest thoughts and wishes from all us ,we know that whatever you decide will be the right decision for you and Cailum.

All our best wishes to you, and a big hug to Cailum from me and my girls.

brian

allie
29th June 2010, 01:40 PM
My heart goes out to you Deborah. Be strong for Cailum.

Ciren
29th June 2010, 01:50 PM
oh my, my heart goes out to you.
if it helps to know other people's opinions well i will give mine, if its no help feel free to ignore it.

i would give him every chance to make it. blind dogs can cope and i think if you don't give him the chance you might regret it.

hugs from me and wriggly licks from Peaches and please, let us know what happens

Tania
29th June 2010, 02:24 PM
I am so sorry you are in this awful position. My heart goes out to you. :hug:

Desrae
29th June 2010, 02:47 PM
It is really so difficult. I wouldn't know what to do myself. You're in our prayers... let us know how things are.:hug:

meljoy
29th June 2010, 03:13 PM
What a terrible decision for you to have to make. Everyone on here will feel you're sorrow and all I can do is send hugs to you.:(
Like the others I feel that what ever decision you make will be the right one for you. He's your fellow and you know him best......good luck with what ever you decide

Mel

Cathy T
29th June 2010, 03:16 PM
I'm so sorry, what an awful position to be in. I hope your doctors are able to give you some guidance in mkaing your decision. Whatever your decision, it's the right one for you.

jasperpaw
29th June 2010, 03:36 PM
So very sorry, what a difficult decision to have to make, only you know what the right decision will be, but we are thinking of you and and praying for little Cailum.:hug:

*Pauline*
29th June 2010, 04:29 PM
It's a hard question to answer but if I used my head and not my heart, I would try the operation and leave the vet to decide if it's better to let him go while under the anesthetic. It seems it's his only chance. The horrible thing is, you don't have much time to decide and come to terms with it. I'll say a prayer for you. I'm so sorry :hug:

merello
29th June 2010, 04:48 PM
What a difficult decision, you're in our thoughts and prayers.:hug:

Bet
29th June 2010, 05:43 PM
It's a hard question to answer but if I used my head and not my heart, I would try the operation and leave the vet to decide if it's better to let him go while under the anesthetic. It seems it's his only chance. The horrible thing is, you don't have much time to decide and come to terms with it. I'll say a prayer for you. I'm so sorry :hug:

Deborah,

I am thinking like Pauline on Callum's problem, give him the chance, just remember Callum won't know what is going on.

Bet

matties mum
29th June 2010, 06:04 PM

Me too I know how you are feeling
---Aileen

*Pauline*
29th June 2010, 07:23 PM
On the other hand, I got an email from a friend today saying a cancer had been removed from her dog but a lot of muscle was taken with it and the dog was now limping. I hope the vet considers the outcome with regard to quality of life post-op.

I don't want to influence any decision here, just saying what's on my mind.

heather r
29th June 2010, 07:25 PM
I'm so sorry about Callum and the decision you must make about the operation. Only you can make this hard decision and I know that whatever you decide will be the best for your Callum.

Sending hugs to you and Callum.

Heather R

deborah
29th June 2010, 09:15 PM
Thank you all for the kind words, Cailum joined the doggy angels this evening around 6pm, he fell asleep in my arms and we brought him home and buried him under the swing in the back garden, I am so upset but I know I made the right decision for him. I couldn't let him suffer anymore.

Karen and Ruby
29th June 2010, 09:23 PM
Thank you all for the kind words, Cailum joined the doggy angels this evening around 6pm, he fell asleep in my arms and we brought him home and buried him under the swing in the back garden, I am so upset but I know I made the right decision for him. I couldn't let him suffer anymore.

Oh Deborah,

I feel such sadness and tears always come whenever someone tells us news of a precious baby flying to the angels. I cant imagine how you must be feeling but the fact that you feel you made the right decision will give you some peace in your heart I do hope.
My thoughts are with you and your family

:(

Jasperxxgabby
29th June 2010, 09:28 PM
Oh I am so sorry, my heart goes out to you and your family, :(
Thinking of you at this saddest of times :flwr::flwr:

*Pauline*
29th June 2010, 09:28 PM
My thoughts are with you and your family. I'm so sorry. :hug:

Nicki
29th June 2010, 09:36 PM
So very sorry Deborah - I think you made the right decision, Cailum is no longer in pain and will be with all our angels.

We have to think of what is best for them at these times - it's not fair to allow them to suffer - a tough but very brave decision.

Thank you for staying with Cailum - it's so important that he was with the one he loved the most.

We are all thinking of you in the sad days ahead, but in time you will be able to remember the happier times.

merello
29th June 2010, 09:50 PM
Deborah,

So very sorry, our thoughts are with you and your family tonight.

Carol, Paul , Elise and Kaley xxxx

matties mum
29th June 2010, 09:55 PM
I am so very sorry
--Aileen

HollyDolly
29th June 2010, 10:09 PM
My thoughts are with you and your family.

Night Night and sleep tight Callum

Nanette
xxxxxxx

mhabca
30th June 2010, 03:17 AM
I am so very sorry to hear this. Thoughts go out to you and your family.

Jay
30th June 2010, 05:32 AM
I am so sorry to hear your sad news. It is never easy when we have to make these kinds of decisions. Please accept my sincere condolences. Cailum lives on in your heart.
Peace,
J.

jasperpaw
30th June 2010, 07:00 AM
I am so very sorry, you have been very brave to make this decision, thinking of you at this very sad time.:hug:

emsley
30th June 2010, 07:56 AM
So very, very sorry to hear this sad news

Sabby
30th June 2010, 09:15 AM
I am so sorry to hear your sad news. Sending you lots of:hug:
Run free little Cailum.

Ciren
30th June 2010, 09:21 AM
hugs from both of us.

susandavis1
30th June 2010, 09:45 AM
I'm so sorry. :hug: Run free little one

deborah
30th June 2010, 12:46 PM
oh again thank you all for you kind words, I can not stop the tears flowing, I am feeling so sad. Each time I come down the stairs and see his bed and bowls at the radiator, but I have the joy of looking directly on him when I look out my kitchen window. You know I was so worried this time last year as to how he would react when the new baby came home and I need not have as he took to her without a bother, so much so that when she cried his ears would perk up and he would run to me as if to say quick she is calling you.

oh Cailum, I miss you so much.

Charlifarley
30th June 2010, 01:40 PM
I am only catching up on this now and would like to add my condolences too. It must be so hard, I am so sorry. :lotsaluv:
Charli, Trapper and Bosco

Spangly
30th June 2010, 03:02 PM
I just wanted to say the same as everyone else, I`m so sorry for you and your family. Remember all the happy times and know that you made the right decision. :hug:
Christine

Cathy T
30th June 2010, 03:51 PM
If it's any consolation I think you made the right decision Deborah. And sometimes the right decision is the hardest. He is no longer suffering and is resting peacefully now.

Claire L
30th June 2010, 05:23 PM
Deborah, I am so so sorry to read your sad news . `Please know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers at this dreadful dreadful sad time :hug::hug:

vikki
30th June 2010, 05:45 PM
sending you all my best.

pippa
30th June 2010, 07:27 PM
So sorry:(

heather r
30th June 2010, 08:50 PM
I'm so saddened by your news. I know your home will seem empty; I know ours' did when we had to put our last golden down. Sending you warm thoughts and condolences.

Heather R

Desrae
30th June 2010, 09:04 PM

How sad and sweet. My heart goes out to you along with everyone elses. He is free now, it was the right decision. We're here for you if you need us!:flwr:

Teresa
30th June 2010, 09:28 PM
Sending you love and hugs from Barney Cassie and I!! It's so hard to loose an animal but I think you did the right thing...Try to take comfort knowing the happy life he lead and that you did your best for him....the happy memories will soften the pain in time...xxx Teresa.

Tania
30th June 2010, 11:01 PM
You are in our thoughts, I am so sorry for you and your family.:(

Wagtails
1st July 2010, 02:48 PM
I've only just seen this sad thread and just feel I want to add my healing thoughts to you and your family. There are few things worse than having to decide when to give our precious dogs their wings, but Cailum had obviously led a wonderful life with you and it will be a comfort to know he is still nearby in your garden. I have 5 Bridge babies in mine and I talk to them every day.

Do keep in touch with us all if it will help. We will all be holding you in our hearts http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv97/Cavviewagtails/Animations/Bloomingroses.gif

Margaret C
1st July 2010, 07:50 PM
So sorry to read this.

Cailum fell asleep in your arms surrounded by love. There could be no better way to go.

I'm sure you made the right decision for him.

Best wishes

Princess Phoebe
2nd July 2010, 09:30 PM

I'm so very sorry to hear this. I know what a dreadful decision it is to have to make because I had to do the same thing in February with my Phoebe. My heart goes out to you.

lindylou
2nd July 2010, 09:54 PM
so sorry to hear of your loss
its very hard to let our precious cavies go

jld
3rd July 2010, 07:24 PM
My heart is with you.....

anniemac
3rd July 2010, 08:16 PM
I am truly sorry for this news :(

sins
5th July 2010, 03:33 PM
So sorry to hear about your loss. You made a very brave and compassionate decision and spared him further suffering.Letting him go with dignity is about the best that anyone can do.He was so well loved!
Sins

steph
6th July 2010, 08:23 PM
im in tears reading this. my heart goes out to you. cant help thinking what if it was my dog. its hard to let them go but at least he is not in pain. so sorry for your loss.

team bella
6th July 2010, 10:58 PM
:hug:What can I say, a very tough but very brave decision. As people who love our dogs we have to do our best for them.