• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New member in Chicago

Jeannine

Hi! I'm a brand new member, but have owned a cavalier for a little over a year. Her name was Brandy and we got her when she was 4 from a breeder. She had one litter for the breeder, which did not go very smoothly so she was the first the breeder decided to let go when she was "downsizing." I could not be more happy that we decided to become dog owners, that we decided we wanted a cavalier, and that the stars aligned to help us find Brandy. She is the sweetest, most loving dog I've ever had and I love her so much.

She's always been a scratcher (mostly at her neck) and she's a little sensitive under her front arms and lets out a little yelp if anyone trys to pick her up in the wrong way or from that area. At our first vet visit last year we asked about her scratching and they said it was probably because she wasn't used to wearing a collar. We called the breeder we got her from and she said he had never noticed her scratching before. We always thought it was just a nervous habit because she did it when she was excited or going out or in a new place.

Just last week I came across information about SM and I'm afraid she is showing symptoms. We called someone at the CKCKA and they said that at her age (5 1/2) it's highly unlikely for her to have it as it probably would have progressed far past her current symptoms by this time.

I still would like to have an MRI done so we can rule it out, or if it is SM, take the next step in treatment. However, in the research I've done they seem very expensive. I think I also need a vet referral, but I don't want to go back to my current vet as I don't feel very comfortable with them after they blew off her symptoms over a year ago.

Sorry for the long story, but I am just reaching out to see if anyone can offer any advice/suggestions...

Is an MRI the next step?
Do I need a referral from my vet?
Is anyone for the Chicago area and refer me to a new vet?
How much are the MRIs?
If I sign up for pet insurance can the MRI be covered?
Any opinions on her symptons and they're relation to SM or other diseases?

Thanks so much and looking forward to becoming part of this online community!
:) Jeannine
Chicago, IL

Hi there,
I can only answer just a few of your questions, but I know Pet Plan is quite popular here and that's what I have for my girl (www.gopetplan.com) and they do seem to cover MRI's according to their website as long as its a vet referral. I believe that MRI's are quite costly in the states, over $1,000. Seem to be a bit cheaper in the UK. Good luck!!

I would not blame your vet for blowing off the symptoms, they likely have never heard of SM.

MRIs are expensive, and health insurance will cover the costs. There are waiting periods before anything could be done. A vet check is required before plans would go into effect. I believe that as long as SM hasn't been suspected by your vet, symptoms would not count as a pre-existing condition - your vet may have done you a favor in that respect.

Did you call the ACKCSC, or the CKCSC-USA (http://www.ackcsc.org/home.html or http://www.ckcsc.org/ ) ? I would not believe anything Coming out of the ACKCSC, they have elected to bury their heads as deep in the sand as they can on the issue of SM. Where I wouldn't blame your vet, I would find fault with the response you got from the breed club, it showed a complete lack of concern for your dog's problems, and spreading misinformation about a major health problem in the breed. Her symptoms could be SM, there are other issues that could cause scratching and tenderness, but SM would certainly be something to keep in mind if there aren't any other explanations.

I'm not familiar with vets in the Chicago area, but good luck.

Last edited:
Hi Jeannine, welcome to the board. If you're looking for honest info on SM, you've come to the right place.

In my opinion, the sensivity under the front legs isn't an SM issue. Neither of my adults can be picked up like that and don't like to be pulled towards you under their front legs.

The scratching is another issue.

We called someone at the CKCKA and they said that at her age (5 1/2) it's highly unlikely for her to have it as it probably would have progressed far past her current symptoms by this time.

Not a true statement. My girl began showing signs at 6 years old. Unusual, yes, but not unlikely. Brandy may have been exhibiting signs long before anyone picked up on them.

PHP:
Is an MRI the next step? 
Do I need a referral from my vet? 
Is anyone for the Chicago area and refer me to a new vet? 
How much are the MRIs?
If I sign up for pet insurance can the MRI be covered? 
Any opinions on her symptons and they're relation to SM or other diseases?

SM can only be diagnosed through an MRI. You do not need a referral from a vet but would be better served to see a neurologist. MRIs in the US are quite expensive, I believe they start at around $1300 (that's what ours was in California). If Brandy's vet records are noting scratching SM may be excluded. It really depends on the plan and how her vet records are interpreted. I have PetPlan (same as Erin) and love it. It covers hereditary diseases including SM and covered our MRI minus my deductible.

I don't have enough expertise to answer your last question so will let someone with more knowledge give you some guidance on that and am hoping someone in the Chicago area can chime in with some vet recommendations for you.

Hi Jeannine,
Welcome! I live in Chicago (Evanston) and I would be happy to give you the names of a few vets we've been to and like (with 4 pets we don't just have 1 vet!). Feel free to PM me since I'm not sure if I can post names here.

As for insurance, we have PetCare and have been happy with it. I'm heard wonderful things about Embrace as well; both cover hereditary/congenital conditions. I would get insurance ASAP because as someone else mentioned, there is a waiting period and they need to review all of your vets' notes to determine any pre-existing conditions.

Feel free to PM me!

Carrie

I am also in the Chicago suburbs - Northbrook. I have a dog with SM (Riley) who saw a neurologist and had surgery in Northbrook. That was two years ago and she is doing great. I did have a referral from my vet, but I don't think I really needed it. The neurologist can tell a lot just by the exam. He diagnosed Riley just from a description of her symptoms - even before he saw her walk around with her little head tilt. And he can tell you whether he thinks an MRI is warranted. And Cathy is right - the MRI was approximately $1300. Riley never scratched - but a lot of SM dogs don't. Has Brandy been checked for allergies? Please PM me if you want to talk about it or if you want the name of my vet (depends on where you are - I know a great vet in the city) or the name of the neurologist. So sorry you're going through this period of uncertainty.

Thanks!

Thank you everyone for your responses!
They were very helpful. Sounds like I'll be signing up for pet insurance today so we can get started on the waiting period and starting with a new vet.

Carrie & Bev, Thanks for your messages and I'll PM you to get your vet referrals. Thanks!!:paw:

Back