• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tramadol (is my dog addicted)

anniemac

You hear about humans being addicted to pain killers and I give Ella tramadol each morning and night. Now when I take my medicine she jumps up like it is some drug she wants. Is it harmful to them? I don't know but I think she is addicted. Am I crazy for thinking this:lpy:

suppose it depends on the drug, and they will learn it makes them feel better.

My dog gets excited when he goes to the vet because he got addicted to morphine when he had a lot of operations. He had withdrawal from it and was in the corner shaking and growling for a few days

Well, if you give the pill as a treat (eg in some food) I think the excitement is more for the food than the pill -- though if it brings pain relief the dog will associate that 'treat' with pain relief. I doubt it would be an addiction -- and at any rate, you control access so it shouldn't ever be a problem. :) Talk to your vet if you are concerned of course! Leo gets excited when I say 'pills' because to him it just means 'treats'. :lol:

Both mine get excited but only one gets the pill, dipped in butter! I have to hold Poppy so I can feed Dylan his pill. Mine run to the kitchen when they hear the pill box click open.

I must say though I do now fully understand the frustration of those whose dogs don't like to take pills as Leo didn't want anything to eat when he had that pain session so I actually had to resort to giving it down his throat the way I have to with the cats (though cats are really a nightmare when it comes to pills!) -- first time he hasn't taken a pill easily in anything from butter to cheese to a bit of meat.

Max and Rylie used to love when Mindy got pills because they all got cheese:D. Mindy used to love her pills for the same reason.

You are lucky that winston would take without anything. Ella will hear the cheese wrapper and come running. This was the first time without anything.

Back