• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

That dreaded grass seed!!!

Karen and Ruby

Well after nearly 4 years we finally became victim to the grass seed!!

Poor Ruby got one imbeaded under the skin between her toes on the front paw! I knew someething was wrong as she was licking at her foot for a day or so but couldnt for the life of me find it!! Her hair has started to go so blond on her feet that it was impossible to find it.
Needless to say the next day a big lump had appeared so off to the vets we went.

Well I was astounded and have never known anything like it! I put Ruby on her side so that the vet could have full access to her paw and Anna our vet, knowing how good and calm Ruby is decied to try and get it out with out any sedation at all! I was pleased as dont like to sedate the dogs wherever possible but even I was dubious!

Thats where it got strange- not only did Ruby lay still as the vet starting poking around and putting the tweezers in the lump she didnt even try to pull her foot back or flinch or moan or anything. She just lay as if asleep.... still as a bone!!!
The vet put the tweezers right in and pulled the massive seed out! Flushed out the wound and sent us on our way with antibiotics and metacam!!

It got me to wondering... has Ruby got much feeling left in her feet doe to the nerve damage associated with the SM???
Even the vet was astounded, she said well even for Ruby that was still a shock!

Do you think it could be that which is why she couldn't really feel anything?

Oliver too has damaged nerves in his front leg due to SM - not a twitch when hit with the neurologist's little hammer. So perhaps there's a useful side effect to SM here, for a change!! He got a grass seed in his ear last year, and went to the vet's to be anaesthetized to get it out, but fortunately the vet had a last go with the tweezers just before the op and managed to catch hold of it. But we do need to keep a sharp eye out for grass seeds - though the bane of my life at the moment is cleavers, the little goose grass balls. Aled picks up hundreds every walk (well, it seems like hundreds!) and if I don't get them all out they tangle up his cottony coat.

Hope Ruby's foot will heal quickly.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Back