• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Poor Éowyn

ourempire

Poor little Éowyn. Her temper varies over different degrees of "happy" - she never sulks or complains. This morning I would pick her up, and she whimpered loudly. Thinking I just had pulled some hairs or something, I let her go.
Later today she suddenly whimpered when walking, and we both wondered. Then this afternoon, she started scooting on her behind, round and round, without getting any relief. Normally, if she does that, it's only for a short while to show us that she wants to get out. We let her out, nothing, just whimpering and scooting. Also, she is a very tough girl, if she's sad or whimpers, something is really wrong.
We checked her behind, and Christian found a huge, hard lump (anal glands, of course :sl*p:), and she whimpered loudly. The vet opens 8 a.m. Monday morning, but after a few more whimpers we decided to call the emergency number, then the vet could decide further action.
He asked us to come right away, and luckily we did. Both her anal glands were swollen and infected, and it demanded immediate action. The vet couldn't get it all, she got some antibiotics and painkillers, and she has to come back for control Friday. Then he will decide whether or not she needs to be operated.
Poor Éowyn is now very out of character. She lies ON my lap, just sleeping and cuddling.
I am so glad that we didn't wait until tomorrow.

Just added this photo. She just ran, then whimpered, then hurried over to "Daddy", where she is now resting. So cute, she has never run to him for cover before :hug:
DSC00117eowyn.jpg

Last edited:
Oh the poor little thing, I bet that's so uncomfortable. I hope the antibiotics work so she doesn't need surgery. A gentle :hug: to Eowyn.

Lucky for Eowyn you acted quickly. Unfortunately this breed are prone to the dreaded anal gland problems. Hope she feels more like her old self soon.

Thanks everybody. She is better now, still getting antibiotics and painkillers, but she doesn't whimper anymore. She still scoots over the floor, but the vet couldn't get all of it. Hopefully he can do that Friday at the next appointment.
The best part for her is that she is allowed a small amount of sour cream morning and evening, where we crush her pills and conceil them - she loves it :)

Glad Eowyn is on the mend. Bella had the same problem last year and one of her glands became infected. Terrible time was had by all :( sounds like you caught it just in time.

Update and photos

We've been at the vet again for control. She's still got an infection, so she has been given a new dosis of antibiotics. She's on them for the next 10 days, then another vet check, where the vet will decide whether or not to operate her.
She has now been given a lamp shed (cone) to wear, since she couldn't stop licking - so NOW her spirits is down :rolleyes: ;)

WHY have you done this to me?
DSC00121eosick.jpg

Her favourite toy ball has rolled under the TV table, and she is unable to retrieve it.
DSC00127eosickii.jpg

HELP ME! PLEEEEASE!
DSC00091eosickiii.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE - Anal glands again!

Can anybody explain why rushing to the vet always has to be on Sundays or evenings?
Today we had to go again, Éowyn had, now more than a year later, another attack of infected anal glands. We discovered it this morning, and as soon as we found it we called the emergency vet. Expensive, but necessary. Normally I would be there, but he sedated her and had to bring her to the surgery room. Now we are home. She is sleeping next to me, she is very tired, but luckily nothing had ruptured, so she doesn't need the cone this time.
We have got some antibiotics and painkillers for her the next 8-10 days, and in the end of the week we shall have her checked at the vet again.

Anyone - what is your experience? Both our dogs have had infected anal glands twice, and Éowyn with 16 months between each vet procedure. She has just turned 3, and we think that twice in such a short time is once too much. Or can some of the more experienced dog owners tell us, that it is normal?

Last edited:
Back