• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Furosemide

seren

Hi this week I took my Charlie to the vets as his symptoms of choughing and wheezing was getting worse and the vet has given him Furosemide twice a day for 2 weeks then take him back for a check up and if this has been helping he can go to one tablet a day and then one tablet everyother day, but if it hasnt been helping he will have another tablet aswell fingers crossed this will help him.

My question is does Furosemide make them want to go to the toilet more often?icon_nwunsure
I noticed he wanted out 3 times last night then this morning he had gone again in the kitchen :oops:(this hasnt happened for a very long time!) and also (sorry tmi) he has been having slightly runnier number 2s bless him I feel so sorry for him!

anyone else with a story about thier furbaby taking Furosemide i would be interested to hear.

Many thanks Seren :)

Furosemide is a diuretic, given to increase the drainage of fluid from the body (any kind of fluid - used to decrease cerebro-spinal fluid in dogs with SM, and to decrease fluid accumulating in the lungs, as with your Charlie). The drained fluid has to go somewhere, so increased urination is normal. In my experience it settles down after a bit - though as my Oliver is an unneutered male, he would happily decorate every lamppost, corner and fence post anyway, even if he wasn't on furosemide! But as the furosemide works, there is less excess fluid to dispose of.

Hope it helps Charlie.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

aww that will explain it then, bless him just wanna give him a huggle now ~ poor little fella thanks for your reply Kate (y) x

UPDATE

Well went back to the vets this morning with Charlie ~ his wheezing/breathing has worsened and his coughing has gone from a low deep cough to a very high pitched dry cough, and then hack. he is sleeping lots (currently snuggled on the sofa behind me) and I can hear him breathing loudly! but the vet has told me to stop the Furosemide as its obviously not helping him as he his still coughing and when i asked why has the pitch changed in his cough they said that its possible he has damaged his traccea with so much coughing!
Has anyone else noticed a change in their dogs cough? just wondering why this has happend because i wasnt convinced at the damage to his traccea diagnosis.

Many Thanks

Seren x

UPDATE

Well went back to the vets this morning with Charlie ~ his wheezing/breathing has worsened and his coughing has gone from a low deep cough to a very high pitched dry cough, and then hack. he is sleeping lots (currently snuggled on the sofa behind me) and I can hear him breathing loudly! but the vet has told me to stop the Furosemide as its obviously not helping him as he his still coughing and when i asked why has the pitch changed in his cough they said that its possible he has damaged his traccea with so much coughing!
Has anyone else noticed a change in their dogs cough? just wondering why this has happend because i wasnt convinced at the damage to his traccea diagnosis.

Many Thanks

Seren x

This sounds a little worrying. What does the Vet suggest for the cough now?

Oh yes sorry he has been given a weeks worth of fortekor, I have been back there first thing this morning as we were awake during the night as his breathing was heavy and very raspy and snuffly, so they have put him back on the furosemide (twice a day) as obviously the fluid in his lungs built up due to stopping it! Go back next week to see how he is doing I really truely hope these tablets eases things for him. its so upsetting :(

Back