• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Am I doing the right thing?

*Pauline*

Dylan has been on Gabapentin only for a long time. This week I have moved his dose up to 150mg and I have also started giving him Rimadyl twice a day. It's very laid back at my vets and I just ring up and confirm with them what I am doing. He is scratching less but I think I can see in his face he needs something more. Have I given the increase of drugs long enough I wonder. I am all set to go to the vet this afternoon to ask for Furosemide. What is the usual dose for Furosemide?

We have no neuro right now as Victoria Penning has moved on from the RVC. I am thinking of asking to be transferred to Clare Rusbridge. How easy is it to get there by train?

Poppy also needs an MRI and I'm battling with denial presently. Do I go for a full scan or pay for a quick scan as the whole procedure of leaving Dylan at the RVC over night was traumatic. So was waiting for the insurance to cough up £1700.00.

I went to see the vet, an older man who I haven't seen before. I asked for someone with experience and they gave me him. He was lovely, I couldn't be happier. He respected my opinion, knew the drugs used for SM and was very happy with a copy of Clare Rusbridge's Treatment Algorithm.

Both Poppy and Dylan are going to see Clare Rusbridge and my friend Tracy offered to drive us. I'm glad that's all sorted.

Sorry to hear Dylan's not doing so well. You're doing the right thing taking them both to see Clare Rusbridge as she will give you the best possible treatment. I can't praise her highly enough. I'm glad you have someone to take you as I don't think it would be that straight forward on public transport and its nice to have someone with you for support. If Poppy has symptoms of SM Clare will probably advise you to have a full scan so she can give the correct treatment. When my Dylan went he didn't have to stay overnight as she did the scan the same day although it will mean rather a long wait for you in Wimbledon.

When is your appointment? Sending all three of you:hug:.

I am sorry about Dylan. It is hard with medication and I am sure you will get things evened out. Please keep me posted

When my Dylan went he didn't have to stay overnight as she did the scan the same day although it will mean rather a long wait for you in Wimbledon.

When is your appointment? Sending all three of you:hug:.

Thank you Jane, I needed that hug. It's very good news that she can be scanned on the day. I shall tell my friend who is driving me. She promised Dylan a walk in Hyde Park while we wait for Pops. :dogwlk:

I am sorry about Dylan. It is hard with medication and I am sure you will get things evened out. Please keep me posted

Thank you Ann. He offered Furosemide but in a weeks time otherwise it would mask any improvement from the higher doses I have recently given. We can go up to 30 mg of Rimadyl as he is heavier now and he said Rimadyl can cause headaches and suggested two other drugs if we need to switch in the future.

Hi Pauline,

Please give Dylan a gentle hug from Leo and me:hug:

And of course one for yourself and Poppy:hug::hug:

Thanks Mel. Here we go again eh. I'm a little better prepared emotionally this time round I think. It's sad but at least Poppy is with me and I know how to care for her.

Thanks Mel. Here we go again eh. I'm a little better prepared emotionally this time round I think. It's sad but at least Poppy is with me and I know how to care for her.

Oh Pauline

I know exactly how you feel about Poppy! I was just watching and waiting with Charlie until I saw a symptom. Then I saw a few and was adament that he would be scanned.
I think for peace of mind for you it is probably worth it.

As for Dylan and the Frusomide- just be ready for some incontinence? Ruby lasted a few months before her bladder gave in and she had to go back on to Cimetidine again!
Her symptoms are no different on either drug- its the Pregabalin that has all the power for her.

Clare is so good and you will be in such good hands. She told me that it was up to me with Charlie whether to scan or not. She said that I know what Im dealing with and if it would help me sleep at night then to go ahead. The symptoms he was showing were enough to warrant a scan and the insurance paid out.
That was my main worry- that they wouldnt!

Good Luck with your appointment- take lots of change for parking- its so expensive round there!!!

Thanks Karen. To be honest I'm trying to be brave. She isn't bad, she just scratches when she gets excited. She doesn't look like she's in pain. She's got lovely muscle tone, she's a strong dog. I don't want to have to dope her up like Dylan. She's my lively happy dog.

She's asleep on my pillow as I type. She always sleeps there so she can be as close to me as possible when I go to bed. Bless her she has a lovely way of making you feel loved. Dylan has gone off his cuddles again. :(

I have a blue badge for disabled parking, hopefully I can use that in Wimbledon. Thanks for telling me, I'll ask when they contact me if I remember.

Karen, did Charley have his scan the day you went like Jane's Dylan or did you have to leave him overnight?

Not sure of Poppy's age but Lily has basically just scratched when excited for years now and when scanned she had a tiny little syrinx. She's now 4 or 5 and really hasn't changed and it was felt she was unlikely to change much -- as she was scanned when at least 3 or 4.

I don't think I'd be looking to scan -- I'd see Clare for a clinical exam. She might suggest trying her on something like frusemide and see if that helps, rather than going through the cost of scanning. On the other hand if you have been seeing her crying out on and off then maybe you and she will want to do more.

Thanks Karlin, Poppy is around 3, we don't know for sure. I was told 17 months by the rescue but her new vaccine card said 3 years. The vet said call it 2 yrs. I can take my laptop to show the film clip I have of the one time she screamed. I would rather medicate without the scan. Poppy should be spayed in August too so better to have just the one anaesthetic. But whatever Clare says we'll do. No wonder my hair is falling out! :eek:

I am sorry Dylan isn't doing so well, poor little chap. Clare Rusbridge is fantastic and it is worth every effort to see her, she will be able to tell a lot just from clinical examination. Molly, Dougall and Dotty send lots of hugs and sloppy licks to Dylan and Poppy. :hug:

Sorry you're going through all this Pauline - thinking of you all.

It's very easy to park at the Stone Lion Vet Centre with a disabled badge - and Wimbledon Common is just at the end of the road for a nice walk for Dylan {Rupert loved it there!}

Clare is fantastic, I'm sure she will be a huge help for you.

Thanks Nicki. I wonder what her after care is like. Can you ring her if you have a quick question or email perhaps?

Thanks Karen. To be honest I'm trying to be brave. She isn't bad, she just scratches when she gets excited. She doesn't look like she's in pain. She's got lovely muscle tone, she's a strong dog. I don't want to have to dope her up like Dylan. She's my lively happy dog.

She's asleep on my pillow as I type. She always sleeps there so she can be as close to me as possible when I go to bed. Bless her she has a lovely way of making you feel loved. Dylan has gone off his cuddles again. :(

I have a blue badge for disabled parking, hopefully I can use that in Wimbledon. Thanks for telling me, I'll ask when they contact me if I remember.

Karen, did Charley have his scan the day you went like Jane's Dylan or did you have to leave him overnight?

No overnight stay. My appointment was at 10am (ish), Tania came with me. He was ready to pick up at 2pm.
I think it depends on how well they come round but at Stone Lion they use a special kind of sedative which they can bring the dog out of in seconds.
Charlie was awake before he got out of the scanning room :)
Oh and they gave him some lunch- lucky git! He never normally gets any!!!

I know what you mean- Charlie is my happy lively dog too! but Im the sort of person that needs to know everything- plus if you look on the positive side if she does have Chiari you can get her on a diuretic now and it may never progress any further. Thats my hope anyway- wish i'd done it sooner for Ruby :(

Do they do that for CM alone? I didn't know that or that it can prevent a syrinx.

Charlie was put on Cimetidine as he was showing pain assosiated with the CM- he has badly diallated ventricles aswel. The head rubbing and the clawing at his face has pretty much stopped wince being on it!
But surely- well its how I understand it anyway (could be wrong)- if a diuretic slows the flow of fluid therefor slowing the growth of the Syrinx down? Then it should work the same way in halting one from appearing in the first place - either way I like to think im doing everything I can to stop his CM develpoing in to SM at a later date!!

Thanks Nicki. I wonder what her after care is like. Can you ring her if you have a quick question or email perhaps?

Clare is more than happy to keep in touch by email. She likes you to keep her updated on the dog's progress once they have started meds and if you have any further questions or problems she will advise by email. You will find her very understanding about your worries.:)

Back