• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New to the SM forum and in need of support

Blondiemonster

Hello everybody. My little girl (3 and 1/2) has been showing symptoms of SM for about a week now. I was aware that the disease existed and educated about it so instantly recognized it. The sudden onset of symptoms were pretty scary;
One day I woke up and took her on a morning walk; she air scratched her way through, having to stop, limping, walking crooked and her hind leg was shaking. She then would come home and roll in the couch (headrubbing) in distress. She was perfectly "healthy" before! The same thing happened the day after. And after. And after.
Even though the morning walks are heartbreaking to watch; The rest of the day her symptoms subside and she seems happy and even plays with her toys. I can take her for walks later and she is fine. The head shaking is the only thing remains. I have an appointment at LIVV on Tuesday, for a full check-up and MRI. She needs to stay overnight. After these symptoms came on so suddenly about a week ago, I immediately took action. Maybe this sounds crazy, I dont need to wait for the diagnosis, I simply KNOW she has it. I can read my little girl like a book. She is my best friend, comes with me everywhere, travels with me , sleeps with me and I know she is in lots of distress. Anyways, just looking to share my story. When she comes home wednesday morning I will know more. It's hard for me to know how severe it exactly is, but it seems to come on quick, and that is very worrying. Much love, Blondie's (aka "Monster) mom

I am so sorry Blondie is showing these distressing symptoms. Even though you are feeling at a loss, once she has the scan a course of treatment can be set which might alleviate the symptoms and maker her more comfortable. My little girl Molly was in terrible trouble over a year ago with sm, once treatment was given she has been in a stable condition and her quality of life has improved. I was wondering why Blondie has to stay overnight? Let us know how you get on. :hug:

Don't despair too soon. These do sound like SM symptoms, but there are other conditions that can cause similar signs.

There is a lot of us here with SM dogs. Some of our dogs have lived many years with their condition well controlled with medication.

We will support and help you all we can.

I am really sorry to hear you are seeing signs that concern you. Many of us have been in the same place you are and it is a worrying place to be. I'd just say to try not to over-worry til you know what you are dealing with -- I spent months sure one of mine had SM who turned out not to have it, and his half-brother whom I was sure was clear, is my most affected dog. Now I try to wait til I get through a consultation and save my energy for managing any problem that has arisen. I hope your visit to LIVS will help clarify your own situation and please let us know as soon as you have further details. Many people here will know what you are going through and can offer support.

My Leo was diagnosed at one (by research scan) and is now nearly 7. He started showing symptoms at around 2. He has a very good quality of life overall on medications tough they have gradually increased over time. I have a second diagnosed dog who has occasional scratching since around 1 -- her scan revealed a very small syrinx and her symptoms haven't changed much in three years. So there are all sorts of diagnoses, all sorts of outcomes.

overnight

Hi . Thanks so much for your comforting answers! It's really nice to know you are all here. :) It's nice to know that some of you seem to be doing with the medication!
I will try to worry to much till wednesday. The reason why she has to stay overnight is because they do 5 tests. (MRI-thermoscan/catscan and some other tests; look under "study protocol" here http://www.livs.org/livsnews.htm ) It's pretty heartbreaking, since I have NEVER left her overnight somewhere. And a cage or my bed are not the same. Im hoping she will be a bit groggy from the anesthesia (they told me for an MRI they need to be under anesthezia?) and not realize too much...
AS soon as I know what the tests result are is I'll be back here to share with you.

Hi . Thanks so much for your comforting answers! It's really nice to know you are all here. :) It's nice to know that some of you seem to be doing with the medication!
I will try to worry to much till wednesday. The reason why she has to stay overnight is because they do 5 tests. (MRI-thermoscan/catscan and some other tests; look under "study protocol" here http://www.livs.org/livsnews.htm ) It's pretty heartbreaking, since I have NEVER left her overnight somewhere. And a cage or my bed are not the same. Im hoping she will be a bit groggy from the anesthesia (they told me for an MRI they need to be under anesthezia?) and not realize too much...
AS soon as I know what the tests result are is I'll be back here to share with you.

The anaesthesia is needed so that they remain perfectly still for a perfect picture from the scan.
Like others have said- it doesnt have to mean the end of the world. My Ruby was diagnosed 16 months ago and it seemed my world had collapsed.

But this far on we have just returned from an Agility weekend where the judge could not beleive she had SM. She just didnt beleive me! She is controlled well on Medication as lives a completely normal life.
I realise that it wont be forever buut for now she is perfect in every way!

Good luck with the scan- she will be fine- mine sleep in my bed every night and cope perfectly well being crated at the vets!

Back