• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

healthy dental chews

GoodDoggie

Can anyone recomend some good dental chews,ones that will take her a while to chew
ive tried logic,no problems with them and
nutrident(she goes nuts for theese)
http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_treats_chews/dental_care/other_dental_care_snacks/128827
but they dont seem to last very long and are gone in seconds,id be afraid theyd get stcuk in her throat,its seems like she bites them into chunks and swallow.

ive read the posts on hear about greenies so thought theese might be "safer"but having seen how quickly she devoured a nutri dent im not sure ill give them to her again.

anyone ever tried theese.

Last edited:
I used to give Molly and Dougall Bull Pizzles it took a longtime for them to chew but one day Molly tried to swallow one that was not short enough. :eek: I very occasionally give them a Paddy Wack chew or Raw Hide. I am not very keen on chews as I am scared they will be swallowed too quickly. I now clean their teeth and gums. Their main treat/chew are Neem Sticks. Have you thought of a Kong, if you type kong into the search box, a number of people here have some really good ideas as to what to put in them. :D

oh yeah i have a kong,frozen banana and yougurt allways goes down well.

I do brush her teeth aswell,
I was just wondering if thier was something she could have a good chew on(keep her occupied)
the nutrident was gone in literally 20 seconds:eek: youd swear shed never been fed before the rate she wolfs down her food :rolleyes:

How about some pieces of raw carrot? Trapper takes a while to chew his, but Bosco has his gone in seconds, so it might not solve your problem.

I give my 3 rawhyde chew, Rabbits ears (as opposed to pigs ears), Hi-life special care chews (these seem to last the longest), pizzles (when im feeling flush!!)

I also buy tescos dental chews (which dont last long at all!) - they only get about half a chew each daily as they are high in calories!

We used compressed rawhides for our boxer and they worked well. I got some for Rose from a different store, though (Target) and they were not the same (and of course, about 2 lbs smaller! lol), they had "balls" of rawhide in the ends where the nubs are. I am going back to the pet store to get the brand I used to get. The nice thing about these is that they don't come off in big chunks (or aren't supposed to!) so the choking hazard is reduced, but they still taste like rawhide. You can get them in rings, regular bones, etc. and from 4 inches to 12 inches long. Until this last off brand batch, we were more than happy through 4 years of boxer jaws ;) .

Back