• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Joint Care

Duffer

Hi

I was at the beach yesterday and met a lovely woman and her 5 year old Cavalier (Cookie). We got chatting about the dogs and i asked her did she have any issues with his health? She told me he had a knee replacement & has bad joints.

I was wondering are there any tips on joint care for Cavaliers. I know you can buy the Pedigree Chum Joint Care, but i was wondering was there any home remedies? Someone told me that Cod Liver Oil is good.

Any tips or suggestions

Thanks

I gave my last German Shepherd cod liver oil thinking it would be good for her joints - the vet said it'll give her a good coat but not much else. He recommended Glucosamine.

Cinders is almost 11 and has been on GlycoFlex3 for the past 3 years.

My vet recommended it as she was showing signs of stiffness in the mornings. Since taking it she has shown no signs of stiffness whatsoever - its a Glucosamine and Chrondotin formulae.

My Ebony has luxating patella and my Harley does agility so both get Flexi Joints for dogs by Vetvits- Healthspan. I have Osteoarthritis in my knees and I take glucosamine and greenliped mussel.
This is what it says about VetVits

A comprehensive balanced supplement in a beefy flavoured tablet providing glucosamine, chondroitin, vitamin E and vitamin C, providing the essential building blocks to help your dog maintain healthy working joints and optimum daily mobility.
A dog’s mobility can be affected through wear and tear to their joints as they get older, but providing the nutrients that help form part of the structure of joint cartilage may help to ease movement.

Four key ingredients:
- Glucosamine contains glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) which form part of the structure of cartilage, as well as helping maintain the structure of synovial fluid, lubricating the joint itself.
- Studies have shown that chondroitin can help maintain cartilage strength.
- Vitamin E is a reputed antioxidant, which fights free-radicals that age the body.
- Ester-C® a stomach-friendly, non-acidic form of vitamin C that will not erode your dog’s tooth enamel, is included for its antioxidant properties.

Every VetVits product is made using the purest ingredients in premises that conform to the strictest industry quality-control standards known as Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP). We know of no other mail order company that can make this quality claim.

thanks for all that
i had a look at those vitamins, they seem to be for older dogs with sore joints

my cav's are quite young and i was more looking for a once-a-week supplement for joints

Both my two eat Burns, who recently introduced a range called Alert. It's exactly the same as Burns normal chicken and rice, fish and rice etc, but with the addition of glucosamine for joint protection. It's aimed at working gundogs and gives them a small daily dose - and has the added advantage of being VAT free in the UK as it's for working dogs! Oliver and Aled are thriving on it. Worth considering, if you can get it in Ireland.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Many premium dogfoods would have Chondroitin and glucosamine as an ingredient,so if the amounts are adequate you might be wasting money giving extra supplements to a young fit cavalier.I know Arden Grange had both ingredients.Have a look at the ingredients on the label of whatever food you're feeding and you might find it's already there?
Sins

Many premium dogfoods would have Chondroitin and glucosamine as an ingredient,so if the amounts are adequate you might be wasting money giving extra supplements to a young fit cavalier.I know Arden Grange had both ingredients.Have a look at the ingredients on the label of whatever food you're feeding and you might find it's already there?
Sins

Totally agree, my suggestion was really aimed at the lady on the beach with a Cavalier suffering from bad joints. :)

I think the woman probably didn't have a knee replacement surgery for her dog but a patella surgery–these are a fairly common surgery in small breeds as often the knee joint isn't deep enough and the knee keeps dislocating, so a surgeon improves the structure of the joint to try to keep the knee from popping out. But it doesn't actually replace the knee in the way humans have knee replacement surgeries. even though they are a small breed, cavaliers also have a breed disposition to hip dysplasia, something many people tend to associate with large breeds. So sometimes hip issues come up, but I haven't seen this be a problem very often. Patellas on the other hand come up regularly! But if a dog is going to have a problem with a patella, it's usually pretty clear by the time the dog is a year old.

I don't know if I would give supplements for joints in a young dog, but as others have noted, there are foods that have supplements added in. Thanks for the suggestions above, as my Lucy is getting a bit stiff (I'm a member of the osteoarthritis in the knees and hips club myself!)

Hi All

Haven't been on for a while but needed to find out about dislocating knees as Rudi is going in next week to have one of his done and when that has heeled they are doing the other, was a bit concerned as he as only just turned 3. At the moment he does nothing just lays down all the time, doesn't want to go for walks, therefore caring a little extra weight too so need to get this off anyone suggest a good diet for this. He was on Royal Canin but just packed the weight on with only 70g a day. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. I know the lack of exercise wont help but that will change once he has had the operations hopefully.

Its the recovery i am most worried about, trying to stop him jumping will be a challenge, the vet suggested that i caged him for the first 2 weeks (no exercise at all). I don't know if there will be any follow on treatment though think i will find that out when i take him.

Its good to know i am not on my own with this and it seems quite common.

Harvey & Rudi's Mum

I absolutely LOVE this product called Nupro (joint supplement)
It 's based on flaxseed, has probiotics in it too, Ester C, Glucosamine and Chondroitin.
Since I have been giving it too Blondie her coat has been shining , tearduct stains cleared up, overall she looks healthier. Hard to judge the joint part since Blondie has SM, but from other owners I have heard amazing things.
Grtz, Lynn

I absolutely LOVE this product called Nupro (joint supplement)
It 's based on flaxseed, has probiotics in it too, Ester C, Glucosamine and Chondroitin.
Since I have been giving it too Blondie her coat has been shining , tearduct stains cleared up, overall she looks healthier. Hard to judge the joint part since Blondie has SM, but from other owners I have heard amazing things.
Grtz, Lynn

That sounds great. Don't suppose anyone knows if it can be bought in the Uk or Ireland?

Hi

Just emailed and asked for the cost of 5 lb of Nupro Gold and 5 lb of Silver posted to Uk will advise when i hear .They look good products .:)

Thanks Blondiemonster.
Brian, I had a quick look at the entirely pets website, they quote $35 approx for shipping internationally. Hopefully they will give you a better price than that.:xfngr:

Hi All

Haven't been on for a while but needed to find out about dislocating knees as Rudi is going in next week to have one of his done and when that has heeled they are doing the other, was a bit concerned as he as only just turned 3. At the moment he does nothing just lays down all the time, doesn't want to go for walks, therefore caring a little extra weight too so need to get this off anyone suggest a good diet for this. He was on Royal Canin but just packed the weight on with only 70g a day. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. I know the lack of exercise wont help but that will change once he has had the operations hopefully.

Its the recovery i am most worried about, trying to stop him jumping will be a challenge, the vet suggested that i caged him for the first 2 weeks (no exercise at all). I don't know if there will be any follow on treatment though think i will find that out when i take him.

Its good to know i am not on my own with this and it seems quite common.

Harvey & Rudi's Mum

I would suggest asking your vet about hydrotherapy. It's non-weightbearing and will help build muscle and also give him some exercise to try and keep his weight down?

Worth a try

I give my guys salmon oil and glucosamine & chondritin tablets daily.

Lucy had her luxating patella fixed in June but so far (touch wood) Sparky's joints seem fine

Back