PDA

View Full Version : Horrible grass seeds

freesia
16th August 2010, 08:27 PM
Took Barney out today and he started limping, we had a look and thought he had a thorn in his paw, but when I pulled it out it was a grass seed, it's left a little hole. Does he need anything putting on it or best left alone, he is still limping, it was quite a way in? Obviously if he is no better in the morning, I will take him to the vet.

Kate H
16th August 2010, 08:33 PM
It might be worth bathing his paw in warm water with a bit of disinfectant in it, just to make sure it doesn't get infected until the puncture has closed up. I just use a margarine carton, hold the paw in it for a few minutes and then dry it. He'll probably be OK after a night's rest, at the moment it's just sore to walk on.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

freesia
16th August 2010, 09:57 PM
He is walking better now.
What kind of disinfectant can you use, do you mean a one specially for animals? We don't have any disinfectant at all.

Teresa
16th August 2010, 10:58 PM
Not sure what disinfectant you could use - if that happened to one of mine I think I would bathe the area with cooled boiled water with salt added....Hope that helps!!
Grass seeds are a pain in the bum!!

Kate H
17th August 2010, 12:42 AM
I would use a mild disinfectant like TCP, diluted, but as Teresa says, salt does as well - just to make sure the foot stays clean.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

freesia
17th August 2010, 02:30 PM
Yes, thanks, salt water is a good healer.
Barney is fine today, back to his normal self.:D