• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ella's Neurologist is interested in Dr. Dewey's and Dr. Shore's information.

anniemac

I spoke to Ella's neurologist because I told him I was honestly scared about they numbers that Pat said Dr. Dewey mentioned in his presentation. He said he was going to contact Dr. Dewey but when Ella first got surgery he thought there was not enough research about long term benefits. I mentioned about Dr. Dewey stating there was a 7% relapse and how much of a difference that was. I went on to say that I know these studies only use few dogs and there are differences in follow-up but either way that is a huge difference.

Rod or Pat,

Someone said that he has published some recent papers. If so, can you tell me the information so I can pass this on to Dr. Brofman. I know he is calling Dr. Shores and Dr. Dewey but he is interested and wants to know where or how he can obtain this information. Thanks

The best way for Dr. Brofman to get the information is to contact Dr. Dewey. At the end of Dr. Dewey's speaker notes is the statement "References available from author." You might be able to find the studies on Rod's or Karlin's or Dr. Rusbridge's sites, but it would be more efficient and more accurate to contact Dr. Dewey to know the exact studies that he referenced (i.e., the one where he gave a 25% re-operation rate and the one where he gave a near 50% surgical failure rate with greater than one year follow-up.) The 7% need for a second surgery rate refers to his follow-up of over 100 surgeries where he used the titanium mesh. Also remember his statement that perhaps part of the reason for surgical failure is because there is only FM decompression rather than more global decompression.

I'm not at home (where my notes are) but I believe that the only surgical follow-up study that Dr. Shores referenced was that done with dogs who had surgery at Auburn using the swine submucosa tissue and the adipose fat pad graph. Also, on the subject of "more" decompression, it seems to me that the laminectomy at C1 that Dr. Shores does results in further decompression, albeit decompression of the spinal cord rather than the brain.

Pat

The best way for Dr. Brofman to get the information is to contact Dr. Dewey.

Agree. Rod also has a very complete list of research publications.

Clare's 50% figure is only for 20 or so dogs -- for a survey she herself acknowledged had to be somewhat anecdotal and left to owner assessment. I do think there may not be like with like comparisons going on, which may be giving somewhat distorted comparisons. As I said elsewhere, the 50% figure includes minor relapse to where a dog may need pain meds for scratching, for example. It is NOT a 50% failure rate where dogs are PTS.

There still are few figures for long term benefits. Dr Dewey's and LIVS for their mesh surgery only go back a couple of years so there's no long term data at all.

Back