• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

A noisy development

Ciren

Peaches has started making alot of noise when i am taking her out for a walk, yelping and barking, she isnt hurt or anything just over exited, but untill i get to the end of the drive she's barking non stop.

i have started stopping and asking her to sit when she starts and when i walk off stopping again if she barks.

any other idea's?

It would be good to teach her a 'shush' cue; Ian Dunbar has info on doing this (www.dogstardaily.com). Right now just asking for a sit may not help her understand you expect her to remain quiet when you start to walk again. Having her know the cue to stop barking would be more versatile and focused.

Or rather than have her sit, I'd turn around, say 'too bad' (to mark an unwanted behaviour), and go back into the house and that ends the walk for 15 -30 minutes then try again. It will take days of no walks but she will eventually get the idea if the walk always ends when the barking begins. I did a version of this with Lily in the car as she used to bark her head off when the car stopped and I was getting the dogs out. It involved taking just her to a shady parking place and as soon as she started to bark I would move away from the door and turn my back. At first you have to be fast to get her out the second the barking stops, but gradually she could build up time and then would stop barking really quickly to wait to be let out. It took a good long while but you can eventually extinguish behaviour like this. Generally at first it gets worse though!

Lucy does this too! Sparky does a low but excited cry which sets Lucy off, it gets louder & louder as we approach the park - which thankfully is only about a 2min walk from the house.

Ive tried stopping when she does it but so far it dosnt really work.

Back