• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Really dumb question about CM//SM and scratching

lovecavaliers

Ok so I have been meaning to ask my neuro vet this question. If I see my dog with CM scratching his ear(s) and I interrupt to scratch for him, and he seems to enjoy the "scratch" does this mean he really had an itch versus scratching for pain?

Just curious what others have experienced.
Thanks for any feedback
Irene

Last edited:
Our Buddy does not scratch much, and I have determined that the scratching he does do is just regular canine scratching. It is very occasional, looks like what my other dogs do from time to time, he stops if I call his name and distract him, etc. Have you looked at the videos of the air-scratching in SM dogs? Watching those, as painful as it may be, might help.

Good Luck.

Phyllis

Thanks Phyllis, I appreciate your feedback:)
I have seen those videos (horrible and heart breaking) He does air scratch sometimes but other times just intense scratching with contact to his ears, which when I interrupt, via scratching for him, he seems to enjoy so I guess it is really an "itch" in those circumstances. (He has been checked for ear issues and fleas-both negative)
Perhaps, I need to stop watching him all the time, ever since the dx I find myself obsessed with looking for "symptoms" of progression:?.
Thanks again,
Irene

Ok so I have been meaning to ask my neuro vet this question. If I see my dog with CM scratching his ear(s) and I interrupt to scratch for him, and he seems to enjoy the "scratch" does this mean he really had an itch versus scratching for pain?

Just curious what others have experienced.
Thanks for any feedback
Irene

I don't think it is a dumb question, I am always watching Molly and Dougall, if Molly licks her paws, I will say to her "why are you doing that" I normally get an old fashioned look and she stops! Is it because her paws are tingling or is she just licking her paws? :?

It is very difficult living with a cm/sm dog, humans being paranoid is unfortunately part and parcel of living with a dog with this disease !

I interrupt the scratching too. I give Dylan some gentle acupressure on his ears which can relax and reduce pain. Poppy doesn't like that though so I run my fingernails down her sides which she loves, this is just to distract her.

I heard a theory about when we humans have an itch. It's thought to be a small pain that the body registers only as an itch, we scratch and it changes the message the brain is sending/receiving. Like when we rub the skin if we bump ourselves, it doesn't make the bump better but it distracts from the pain.

Chaos scratches her ears like mad when I am putting her harness on to take her for a walk, she will also fall flat on the floor because she is scratching so much. She does get very excited at the thought of a walk and is trying to leap about. I think it is pain and not because she has suddenly got an itch. I just leave her until she stops before doing up the harness. Don't know if this is very helpful.

Leo loves it if you scratch behind his ears. If he's having a good scratch or head rub I interrupt him before it escalates in to a yelping session:( (he has CM)

When you scratch behind his ears he pushes really hard against you for you to do it more and if you stop he rubs his head against your hand.....I figure if it helps him it's a small price to pay to have to sit there with him on my lap while I indulge him:-D

Like when we rub the skin if we bump ourselves, it doesn't make the bump better but it distracts from the pain.

Actually the rubbing releases enkephalin which binds to opioid receptors and actually does help to relieve pain.

I've also heard the theory about itching, no idea if that is true though.

I worried for months that Guinness' scratching was excessive, till I took him out to play with other dogs. I guess I just never realized how often dogs scratch. As long as your dog is happy, scratching should be ok. I should note that my parents have a cat who will scratch her fur off (official diagnosis: OCD), which is abnormal.

Back