• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ruby to go on a diet

rosemary

:d*g: Hi my name is Rose... I have a 6 year old Ruby Cavalier named 'Ruby'. She has been a constant worry right from the start with her health. She is on heaps of medication but I love her to bits. My cousin has a Blenheim Cavalier named 'Holly' and I fell in love with her thats when I wanted one too..... Poor Holly is blind now and is diabetic... These Cavaliers have a history of illness but I would still have gotten her. She is the sweetest little girl I know. I cant take her for long walks cos she gets out o f breath very quick. She is overweight and any suggestions on a good food would be of great value. Thanks Rose and Ruby :dogwlk:*ng*l:thnku::lotsaluv:

Hi Rose and Ruby, welcome to the forum.
There are lots of good quality dog foods available, brands I have used with my two are Burns, Arden Grange, James Wellbeloved, Orijen - the reason I have used so many is because Bosco has sensitivity issues, and tends to get diarreah, James Wellbeloved is our food of choice at the moment.
I think the key recommendation about getting the weight down is to feed less and cut out the treats. (Just like humans). Also exercising more too, but that probably won't apply to Ruby.
If you want to bulk up her food in a healthy way, you could try her with fruit and raw veg, such as carrots, apples (not the core), pears etc.
Good luck.

Welcome! On Ruby's weight -- the recommendations above are good ones. Feeding LESS is better than paying for a special food -- same as for people! Reduce or eliminate treats or replace with no-cal items like fruit pieces (NO grapes though; they can kill a dog) or veggies like carrot pieces. Exercise can only be gradually increased for a dog having difficulties breathing -- and make sure more exercise is OK with her vet. Getting her weight down is one of the single best things you can do for a dog in poor health as weight is known to reduce lifespan by up to a THIRD... so weight loss is a worthwile and important goal for dogs we all love. :)

Welcome! On Ruby's weight -- the recommendations above are good ones. Feeding LESS is better than paying for a special food -- same as for people! Reduce or eliminate treats or replace with no-cal items like fruit pieces (NO grapes though; they can kill a dog) or veggies like carrot pieces. Exercise can only be gradually increased for a dog having difficulties breathing -- and make sure more exercise is OK with her vet. Getting her weight down is one of the single best things you can do for a dog in poor health as weight is known to reduce lifespan by up to a THIRD... so weight loss is a worthwile and important goal for dogs we all love. :)

exactly what i would have said ;) also if you want to give treats take some food out of her dinner to compensate. we do that with Lola as she puts on weight really easily and she gets through a lot of treats when training!

Back