PDA

View Full Version : Grooming & Trimming

islewriter
29th August 2010, 12:45 PM
My wee dog loves to be groomed and this is done on a daily basis. :)

However, I would like to know how many of you 'trim' the coat of your cavalier?

Is this recommended? And if so how best to complete the task.

Eagerly awaiting your info. :)

meljoy
29th August 2010, 01:10 PM
Hi,

We take Leo to the groomers every 6 weeks where they trim him. I know some people dont like their dogs coat trimmed so I think it's personal preference. I find it easier if his coat is shorter, especially his ears and back endicon_blshing

Karen and Ruby
29th August 2010, 01:56 PM
I always said to myself when Ruby was a Pup that I would never trim her coat- BUT its completely impractiacal with an SM dog as she used to knot herself up on a daily basis with all the scratching before she went on her meds.
Now its impratical because she swims a fair bit and gets quite muddy and mucky on our walks.
I clip behind the ears and back end and also her feet and chest hair. The chest hair as she drools a fair bit and mucks it all up.

Like Meljoy said it is personal preference. With Charlie I havent trimmed him at all- but his hair is very fine and thin. Its a completely different texture to Rubys and just doesnt get knotted like hers does!

islewriter
29th August 2010, 09:37 PM
Thank you for all your assistance, I do agree on the preference, although I do trim around her paws.

Kate H
30th August 2010, 11:28 AM
I think Cavalier coats vary enormously depending on whether or not they are castrated/spayed - when the coat can get very heavy and 'cottony'. My Oliver is an unneutered ruby with a quite short, silky coat and has never been trimmed, except for his feet which get huge! He loves water, the muddier the better, but his coat dries quickly. Aled is a neutered Blenheim rescue and had a terrible coat when I got him 18 months ago - thick and cotton. Regular fish oil in his food and selective trimming of the worst cotton ends, especially on his flanks, has made him look a lot better - and I trim his naturally very long and heavy ears a bit because otherwise he takes a mouthful of hair when he picks up his dumbell! I know coats can be a chore to look after, but I do hate seeing Cavaliers trimmed hard all over - coats and ears really short - they just don't look like Cavaliers!

Kate, Oliver and Aled