• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Full Grown

I was wondering at what age Cavaliers are typically full grown. My puppy is 7.5 months old I'm just wondering how much more growing she has left to do. Thanks!

She should be close to the height that she will be as an adult, but at that age she is likely still a pretty lanky puppy and she will still be putting on weight up until about age one. Some continue to fill out a little more and add a small amount more weight until about age 2.

My Rylie weighs the same at 14 months as he did at six months. He's perhaps a little taller. Max weighs a couple of pounds more than he did at six months (after a weight loss program) and probably a couple of inches taller. He was neutered right at six months and he grew in height a lot. He towers over his parents. At my breeders request I didn't neuter Rylie until later - he was nearly a year) and he might be 1/4" taller than he was at six months.

I was shocked when Guinness didn't change weight at all this summer (10-12 months at the time). He hasn't grown much but I'd like him to fill out a bit more, he's still pretty lanky.

I found with puppies, they gain a LOT up to 6 months (as they should!), then slow down, gradually adding some more between 7-12 months, mostly between 6-9 months. The boys in particular tend to keep filling out for another year or so (they only start to get their more masculine features -- and gain that additional weight -- starting at 9-10 months). On average dogs will be the average size of parents AND grandparents as looking at only parents may not reveal the actual tendency towards being large or small, etc... But all are individuals and some might suddenly fill out and put on more weight quite late.

Im still waiting for charlie to fill out and he is 21 months now. Its coming up to his gotcha year anniversary and he is only 6.8kg. He was 6.1kg when he came to me. The only thing that has started to grow is his feathers!!
I figure that as he was abandoned at his critical adolencent stages that he has been somewhat stunted in his growth...BUT i will continue to wait and see. He has a thin layer of coverage on his ribs now and although his hips are still very easy to feel and only hidden by fur really he is fairly in proportion to his build!!

Back