PDA

View Full Version : Maybe, just maybe, a picture of Tilly?



emmastewartliberty
5th September 2010, 03:37 PM
Here is a photo of Tilly- in previous posts I explained that the rescue centre reckoned she was about 4, but my vet says more like 7-8. What does anyone think?
I don't mind except for health reasons,- she is due to be speyed at the end of the month- if she's 8 is that a bit old? She was a puppy farmbreeding girl, when I got her 2 weeks ago she was 2- 3 weeks after her season. I think there is some cloudiness in her eyes, particularly her left one. The vet says he'll have a good look when shes in for her spey.
She is the sweetest, scaredest liitle thing, but she already knows her name, and is getting used to things here. Juno- my big gentle comedian of a golden retriever is her new best friend.
http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z430/emmaburren/tillyforforumpic.jpg

Cathy T
5th September 2010, 04:20 PM
What a beautiful girl! She looks older than 4 but if she's been a breeder that could be why she looks older. Bet the vet will be able to give you a better idea. I'm so glad she's with you, sounds like she's going to have a great life.

Jay
5th September 2010, 05:01 PM
She is beautiful. What a hard life she must have experienced up to now. But it's going to be smooth sailing from now on little lady! Bless you for giving her a chance for the life she should have always had.

J.

MurphysMummy
5th September 2010, 05:03 PM
She is very beautiful - well done for rescuing!! I also have an ex puppy farm dog but hes a boy and we don't know his age, but we reckon he's about 4-5.

Hope you have many happy years with her :)

Karlin
5th September 2010, 07:06 PM
She looks just lovely :) -- and I agree with your vet, probably 7-8. If a puppy farm breeder she most likely would be around 7ish as that is when they'd generally stop breeding them (they cannot breed at older than this if they are selling the pups with IKC papers).

A spay offers many health benefits and unless there's a specific reason not to spay (eg a high grade heart murmur) I'd do it. Intact cavalier females have amongst the highest rates of all breeds for pyometra, around 40%, which is often fatal and has to be treated with an emergency (and very costly) spay at a time when this becomes a risky operation. As well, rescues would tend to see a lot of overbred females ending up with mammary tumours.

You can discuss all this in detail with your vet. You can ask them to do advanced blood tests just to make sure she is safe with a general anaesthetic too.

Most vets would prefer to wait til about three months after a season (right in between seasons) as this is the safest time to spay. I would tell your vet you wish to wait until then.

emmastewartliberty
5th September 2010, 10:08 PM
Thank you for all the encouragement and advice about speying- I will discuss the timing with my vet- he's very understanding and helpful- (he looked after my last one Whisper when she was so sick with pancreatitis). Tilly shared Juno's bed with her this afternoon, so she's learning to trust my dogs at least- for her to trust humans again will take a little longer.