• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Introduction and health question

Traceystjulien

Hello to all and thank you for having this group to talk about all things Cavalier King Charles!

I have a 10 year old, male CKCS, Otto, who has recently been diagnosed as having Degenerative Myelopathy. :( This is a progressive, incurable, neurological disease of the spinal cord which I understand leads to hind end paralysis and then likely spreads up the spine. Most breeds getting this are German shepherds, Pem corgis, boxers, and daushounds.

A blood sample sent to the University of Missouri, found that my dog has 2 copies of the gene mutation for DM. I have not come across any information on this being a condition in CKCS and wonder if this is a new development in the breed.:confused:

Otto's symptoms are hind leg weakness with the left leg starting to turn in slightly. He also drags his hind feet and his nails are wearing down. He has had hip dysplasia, with two femoral hip surgeries [FHO].

While the listing of breeds with DM seem to be growing, I have not seen cavaliers or spaniels on any list. Do any of you have any reason to think that my dog might not have DM? Is there another condition I should ask my vet to screen for?

Any information or feedback you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

So sorry to read this - no I've never heard of DM in a Cavalier or any Spaniel breed to be honest.

Hind limb weakness can be a symptom of Syringomyelia - have a read through these sites, there is information you can print off for your vet

http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/

http://www.cavaliermatters.org/

http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk/

I sincerely hope that this is not a new condition appearing in Cavaliers - sadly we already have enough problems to deal with :( I guess the only comfort is that DM is not painful...

I think you would also want to rule out disc problems, tumours and infections though too.

Would a disabled cart help your wee fellow? {You would need to rule out Syringomyelia first, as it would be painful for him to use a cart with this condition}

I have known a few GSDs with DM manage wonderfully with carts.

My only other thought is that it is something to do with the hip dysplasia - I think in Cavaliers they do not replace the ball joint, instead rely on the muscles to create a new socket - and maybe now, with age, this is failing?

I hope this gives you some ideas to pursue - we will be thinking of you and Otto so please keep us posted as to how he is doing.

Welcome and sorry to hear about Otto. Although I think it is probably unlikely, it could be an inflammatory brain disease, such as GME. Our westie has just been diagnosed with this and her first symptom was hind limb weakness. It can affect dogs in many ways, so different neurological symptoms are seen. It usually affects young, female, small breed dogs, so I don't think Otto would be typical, but it may be worth ruling out.
Fingers crossed for you and Otto that they can give you some help soon.
:xfngr:

Hi and welcome. I passed along your query to vet neurologst in the UK, Dr Clare Rusbridge, as she's an expert on SM and other neurological conditions. She says she has seen degenerative myelopathy in a few older CKCS and suggest that you might wish to look at the degenerative myelopathy section of her website:

Hope that helps.

Thank you

Thank you very much for the helpful information. I am very sorry not to have replied sooner, but I was so overwhelmed and frankly depressed about the diagnoses, that I just tried to block it out in hopes that it would just go away.

Otto has seen a physical therapist and vet--both with different diagnoses--and is about the same. Still happy and alert, but the hind legs getting a bit more wobbly. :x

I think that it will only be with the support of people in this forum that Otto and I will be able to make it through this.

Hi and welcome. I passed along your query to vet neurologst in the UK, Dr Clare Rusbridge, as she's an expert on SM and other neurological conditions. She says she has seen degenerative myelopathy in a few older CKCS and suggest that you might wish to look at the degenerative myelopathy section of her website:

Hope that helps.

I'm sorry he is not improving. :( however, don't give up–if he is otherwise doing well, there are many things to make him more comfortable. One of my friends with a dog that has lost much of the use of his hind legs uses a “drag bag” that covers the hind legs and allows the dog to drag them along without abrasion. Then there are a couple of companies that make carts for dogs with this condition–see:

www.eddieswheels.com/DM.html

Back