• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Really scary incident

tara

Tonight I was lounging on the bed watching TV. Holly was sleeping by my side. All of a sudden, Holly jumped up and began running frantically in a small circle on the bed. She was not crying out in pain, but just frantic. I was able to talk to her calmly and get her out of the state. She seemed scared, but eventually settled down and went back to sleep.

I checked her hind end and can't find any signs of anal issues, bites, etc. It seemed more like a "psychotic" sort of event rather than physical -- but this is to my very untrained eye.

Does this behavior sound familiar to anyone? I'll definately watch Holly and take her to the vet if I see anything else unusual. Thanks in advance for your help!

Oh poor girl, maybe she had a bad dream? I wouldn't worry unless it continues to happen, then like you said, get her checked by the vet. A friend of mine told me her sheltie did something similar once and never did it again. Hopefully that is Holly's case.

Thank you, Irene. I'm hoping it was something like a bad dream and not anything physical or neurological. She seemed quite scared by the incident, as were myself and the cat (also on the bed with us). After she "came out of it," she GLUED herself to the cat -- they both settled in for a big snuggle. I guess I now know where I rank as far as security blankets!

I wonder what you were watching on television?! Perhaps a noise which mightn't hit you but penetrated a dog's sleep made her wake up suddenly, which can be quite scary - like us, they can feel very disorientated when suddenly woken up. Oliver and Aled went to a charity event with me on Saturday (I had a stall selling my mustard and shortbread); they spent a busy morning greeting visitors and by lunchtime were tired. Aled's head was drooping and he was dozing off when suddenly some loud drumming started in the display area and Aled literally leapt into the air and was really upset (Oliver is deaf enough and so laid back he didn't wake up!). I put them both in their crate, where they feel very secure, and Aled went to sleep. Perhaps something like that happened with Holly?

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Yeah sounds like a bad dream to me, it would have been scary to witness and experience but is she seems fine now no need to worry.

Chelsea has done this severial times, sometimes when I wake her up on accident. Looks terrified. She has done this a few times since the anxiety attack earlier this year where she tries to hide behind me after she woke up. Much better lately.

Back