• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Possible shortage of gabapentin

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
I am told by both neurologists and dog owners that there seems to be a shortage of 100 mg gabapentin in the UK–not sure about Ireland or elsewhere. It is suggested that if people have a prescription that will need to be refilled in the coming weeks for their cavaliers with syringomyelia, it might be a good idea to try to get it filled now to allow for any extra time. I have been told that some have been waiting several weeks with the pharmacy being unable to fill the prescription.

I don't know if this applies only to generics, or to Neurontin as well.

The supply issue only concerns the 100 mg capsules. People are having no problems getting the 300 mg capsules.

I have been having trouble with getting Tommy's pills.

Hyperdrug have not been able to dispense a private prescription I sent them about 4 weeks ago.

Fortunately my vet had some in stock, but their price is £34 as compared to Hyperdrug's £8.30

Perhaps the shortage is because the drug companies/pharmacists haven't yet registered how many dogs are now on gabapentin, as well as humans!! They'll have to increase their production to supply our Cavaliers!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I had the same problem with Hyperdrug a couple of weeks ago. They told me that it was a manufacturing problem and they did not know when they would get the cheap ones. They supplied half my prescription (100) but had to pay £25.- for them.

Have now got my second 100 of Gabapentin from Hyperdrug, they delivered it within a few days of ordering but once again said could only get the more expensive at £25.-. However, I am a bit confused as it is exactly the same as I was always getting from them at about £9.-. Same container, same barcode, everything the same. Wonder if they have now cottoned on that we all need it and it is not really in short supply but they have just put the price up?

I checked with our local pharmacist and he had never heard of a shortage - and said they always ordered 3 months' supply at a time for their chemist shop, so it was unlikely they would run short. Incidentally, they charge me £5 for 60 x 100mg tablets, which seems very reasonable (the prescription costs £7 a month!). They are next door to our vet's, so are used to supplying dogs!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Think I will have to ask round at a few chemists then, where is yours Kate?:p I do get my scrips free at the PDSA.

Hyperdrug phoned last week to say they could now supply the gabapentin I had on order, but it would cost £12.30 instead of the £8.30 charged previously.
It is manufactured by a different firm.

Tommy's private prescription costs about £6 so this is still much cheaper than my vet's price of £34 per 100.

When Tommy was first prescribed gabapentin Boots & the other local chemists were not able to supply it. I think I will try phoning around to see if things have changed.

Glad I read your post Margaret as have a new scrip and was wondering what to do with it. Have ordered at the £12.30 as you said and as its for 300 of them decided to get them all at once because you never know it might go up again.:(

Back