• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Worry Wort????

Sullysmom

So, Sully is 7 months old. He has had no signs of anything wrong with his heart. I had ladies over last night for BUNCO. At one point when we were all sitting there socializing and eating, Sully started to cough and kinda gag. It lasted about 15 seconds. Does this mean he has early MVD or am I just being over protective? If my Labrador had done it, I wouldn't have thought twice. Just super paranoid with my little baby. Thoughts????

15 seconds of coughing could be worrying if the puppy appeared to be choking or had something caught in his throat. No, I wouldn't be thinking about MVD; I'd be more worried about choking until the coughing stopped!

Coughing with MVD is one of the later signs, not one of the first signs - it means the heart is beginning to wear out and is not able to push fluid round the body sufficiently smoothly to prevent it accumulating in the lungs. IF Sully develops MVD (and we hope she won't!), the first sign would be a heart murmur, and even if the vet picked up a murmur in such a young dog, there is an excellent chance that she would grow out of it and it would not actually be MVD.

If you were sitting around eating cake, I wouldn't be surprised if Sully picked a crumb off the floor and it went down the wrong way! Cavalier puppies can be like babies - anything new and interesting gets explored by mouth!

Kate, Oliver, and Aled (who at 3 has a Grade 3 murmur but no ill effects from it at all)

This makes me feel better. Thanks everyone. The vet has told me at every appointment that his heart sounds great! I will sleep better tonight.

I'm a worry wort too and I kinda hold my breath at the vets when they listen to the heart but, my dogs are older. It's good to know about these conditions but don't wait for them to happen or you'll lose your joy. Enjoy your puppy :flwr:

Back