PDA

View Full Version : grooming and SM

anniemac
19th September 2010, 07:46 PM
I know grooming can be hard with ella, especially now she really doesn't like to be touched. I will give her extra tramadol but I really need to give her a good groom. Any tips to help

sins
19th September 2010, 07:54 PM
It's not easy.What I do for Daisy is to try and keep her coat as soft and matt free as possible. I use a boar bristle brush and a stainless steel pin brush. The best thing I've found is Chris Christensens Ice on Ice which is a leave in spray conditioner. If you use plenty of this on a daily basis,especially behind the ears, she should stay matt and tangle free and a few quick brushstrokes should do the job. It makes for a lot less tugging and pulling.
Sins

Cathy Moon
22nd September 2010, 01:14 AM
If she has any mats, carefully use thinning shears to remove them. Using thinning shears to trim hair tends to keep it from re-matting, and also you won't risk pulling on her coat/skin like might happen if you try to brush it out.

Like Sins, I've found a boar bristle brush is easier on the coat/skin.

Margaret C
22nd September 2010, 08:01 PM
I agree with Sin that a light daily brush is probably better than having to deal with a coat that has developed significant tangles.

I use a brush with plastic bristles and an untangler comb for my two boys. I find they look good enough & it is not too painful for them.

I find it helps to thin or completely cut out the hair that tends to get matted. It is possible to remove the hair behind the ears without it showing too much, and if necessary you can thin out the feathering on the hindquarters and stomach.

If the cavalier is sensitive about having their ears touched the ear feathering can be cut short.

In fact many owners have their SM cavalier completely trimmed, and enjoy the fact they look like puppies again.
If it is carefully done by a kind and knowledgeable groomer it is possibly the most comfortable solution for the dog?

Nicki
22nd September 2010, 09:30 PM
The Aussie Formula Miracle hair insurance spray in conditioner for people also works well and you don't need very much of it.

I would agree, daily or every other day is much better to have a quick groom and then you only need to do a few minutes to keep the coat in good order. Scissors for trimming out knots - don't even attempt to work on them.

Try to time it when their meds are at the most effective.

It depends how bad they are - when Teddy got really bad, he was actually sedated at the vets and clipped, as he couldn't tolerate very much.

With bathing, you can half fill a baby bath with warm water and a few squirts of Infacare baby bath. Stand them in it, soak them carefully with a jug. You don't need to rinse that out, just go straight to shampooing then rinse. Saves doing two shampooing and rinses.

Nails are best done straight after a bath when they are soft.

harleyfarley
23rd September 2010, 10:00 AM
cathy, you inbox is full and i couldnt pm you, was just going to ask where i can get a pair of thinning shears online, di

Nicki
23rd September 2010, 11:07 AM
Jumping in here, but you can get these

Mikki 7" Single Thinning Scissors 6275-273 (Ref. 2896)
7" Single Thinning Scissors

Price: 6.34 7.45 Including VAT at 17.5%

from Hub International

http://www.hubintsecured.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000099.cgi?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww.hubintsecure d.co.uk%2facatalog%2fCoat_Kings.html&WD=thinning%20scissors&SHOP=%20&PN=Thinning_Scissors.html%23a2896#a2896

or Ebay

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=thinning+scissors+dog&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Many pet shops have them, pretty sure mine came from Pets at Home - you just want single thinning [some are double sided]

Pamela Warrington
23rd September 2010, 05:10 PM
Hello Anne,

I also find that dry shampoo works well, and also the dog bathing wipes work well. If you want a quick cover up some baby powder helps with the smell. I did buy a device that holds the shampoo in it so I just put it on a light spray so I do not use my hands and this seems to make Isabelle feel comfortable. You just hook it up to the nozzle in your bath and it has different buttons for plain water and then switch over to shampoo mode then rinse again the warm water relaxes them. Hope all is well, thank you for adding Isabelle to your pray list for dogs It meant the world.

Blessings,
Pamela:luv:

Nicki
23rd September 2010, 09:35 PM
Oh I also found that if you hold the spray close against them rather than a distance away that was more comfortable.