PDA

View Full Version : Dogs poisoned from something in woods



James
24th September 2010, 01:52 PM
I have just read a report of a "King Charles spaniel" dying and another being ill after a walk in Clumber Park, Lincoln, Nottinghamshire, England. Seeminly they had gastic symptoms and it seems to be a natural cause as it was investigated last year after eight dogs died and poison was ruled out.

Very worrying

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-11404124

Nicki
24th September 2010, 08:53 PM
That's so scary :(

As it's the same time of year, I would strongly suspect some kind of fungus - some of are highly poisonous. Dogs can eat something so quickly, it's easy to miss.

The weather conditions seem to have been perfect for fungi - we have many around here this year.

Kate H
24th September 2010, 09:44 PM
Nicki's right - although there were media rumours of poison last year, it was found that the cause of the deaths was fungi, and there is a general warning out for Nottinghamshire. We all need to be careful - especially where newly cut grass in public parks and playing fields contains small chunks of fungus - a dog died from that last year, too, in another part of the country. It's difficult to stop dogs picking up small objects from grass, you can't keep an eye on them all the time; but we can be alert to anything unusual in our dogs' behaviour, and if in doubt get them to the vet asap.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Cathy Moon
24th September 2010, 11:35 PM
Wow, that is scary.

My experience with fungus (what we call 'toadstools/poisonous mushrooms' in the US): You can usually smell it on their breath. When India was a puppy, she ate a toadstool, and I thought I saw it, but wasn't certain. I smelled it on her breath, so I called the emergency vet, and India vomited it up while I was on the phone. The vet told me I was lucky she vomited it up so quickly, and told me to keep track of how many times she vomited afterwards - evidently if they do vomit the fungus (which is good) you then have to make sure they don't get dehydrated from being ill over a period of several hours.

Desrae
25th September 2010, 11:32 AM
How scary. I try to keep a vigilant eye even on the back garden, as many mushrooms have been growing there this year!