• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

almost hit by a car

laram

Hi all,

I've posted here about Sammy from time to time over the past few years; just thought I'd come and confess something/warn something.

I moved recently to a new apartment building that has a gate leading off to a park/small field that's completely enclosed except for a path (which eventually leads to a very quiet cul-de-sac). I thought it was wonderful that I would now have somewhere to let Sammy be free. He's previously been very good off the leash, always following me, and even sitting beside me if I don't walk.

Over the past weeks though, he's become braver and braver, venturing further away from me and taking longer to come back to me when I call - so I should have seen it coming. This morning when I called him, he just stood there staring at me and then suddenly got this michievous expression. He looked at me, at the path, and back to me, and then off he went towards the path. Stupidly I actually turned and ran the other direction making silly noises - that usually gets him chasing me excitedly. I was amazed when I turned round and he was gone. Then I heard a car screech from the street and my heart almost jumped out my ears.

When I got to the cul-de-sac, I was so relieved when Sammy came bounding happily to me. A man came running after him. When he saw I was the owner, he started yelling his head off that Sammy was literally 2cm away from the wheel when he managed to stop. I was so shocked and ashamed, I couldn't say anything. I knelt down to put the leash on and Sammy just wagged his tail and jumped in my lap. The man kept yelling for a few minutes while I blinked at him, and then went back to his car.

I feel like a terrible owner. Terribly lucky, but terribly guilty that I didn't look after him better. It's also a wake-up call that no matter how well you think you know your dog's behaviour, it's WAY better to be safe than sorry.

Sammy's still just wagging his tail, looking very pleased about all this excitment, with no idea that he narrowly escaped disaster (I don't think he has any concept that bad things can happen).

Don't feel too bad, you won't make that mistake twice. Here's a :hug: because I bet you still feel shaken up. I never let my dogs off the lead and use a very long training lead, maybe 20 foot long, they get a good run and I'm not a complete nervous reck!

Thats really scarey. I feel bad sometimes as I dont let Leo off the lead either. I have a VERY long lead like Pauline, so he does get a good run. Your story makes me realise Im doing the right thing for me.

Thanks for sharing and like Pauline said try not to feel too bad about it.......at least Sammy is still safe and sound

But of course it's not just the safety of the dog - if the car had swerved to avoid Sammy and skidded, or had to do an emergency stop with a car close behind it, humans could have been hurt. That's why the man was yelling at you - HE'd had a nasty scare as well! My two go for long walks across fields off-lead, but anywhere near roads, they stay on their extending lead (which is why it's so useful).

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Dont be hard on your self this week my Harry got out and someone took him to the vets and we went and ferch him big hugs to you
--Aileen

Oh how scary!!! Sounds like you were both very very lucky. Good thing all you got was a warning. Sammy...don't scare your momma like that!! So glad he's okay. :hug:

thats scary! i never let mine off the lead either - they'd be gone like bats out of hell if i did!!

we live near a school that has a football field in it, we sometimes bring them there and let them off for running around, might be an idea if you live near somewhere like that (usually not used in evenings & weekends)

So scary. Lucky had a close call like that when he was a puppy and my sister dropped his flexi lead and it scared him so he bolted on a busy street.

You should not feel guilty - as Pauline said, you will not make that mistake twice. ;-)

Glad all turned out okay and he is fine. That is the important thing.

Im sure you nearly died!.thanks for posting this as ive never had a dog before so thankyou for making me aware of the danger when I start to walk my pup.

You must have been very shaken up by what could have been a disaster w/ Sammy, and by the man yelling at you like that.

However, stop beating yourself up over it and view it as a learning experience. Henceforth, Sammy will always be on a leash... a safe cavalier. It was a warning, and you should be grateful for that.

:))

Back