• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question about heart/cardiac testing...

Erin2854

We brought Polly to a health clinic in March when she turned 1 that was set up for low cost heart/eye checks with a cardiologist and optometrist. Her heart checked out great-no signs of anything. We had a recent health scare with her when she ate something she shouldn't have (see previous post) and when they were doing all the testing, they checked out her heart as well. I mentioned to them that she saw a cardiologist in march when she turned a year old and the vet asked if they actually looked at her heart. I said no...he just listened to it. The vet was kind of like "oh..." like this wasn't what they should have done. Are the health clinics worth it then? Or should they be doing more to really check out their heart? Thanks!

The health clinics are very because they allow a lot of dogs to be screened at low cost by a certified cardiologist. They are not anywhere near as involved as a one on one appointment with a cardiologist would be, it would be impractical financially and timewise to set up a full cardiac analysis clinic at so many venues.

The health clinics are very because they allow a lot of dogs to be screened at low cost by a certified cardiologist. They are not anywhere near as involved as a one on one appointment with a cardiologist would be, it would be impractical financially and timewise to set up a full cardiac analysis clinic at so many venues.

It's different in the UK, I think all the regional breed clubs run these days for their members, where the relevant tests are carried out and heart and valid eye scheme certificates are given by certified cardiologists and opthalmologists. Simon Swift is examining the dogs' hearts free of charge at the Midland show in November and they don't come much better than him. John Goodyear will be carrying out the eye examinations for £28 per dog.

I have entered Winston Alexander and will be having his testing done at the show.

Back