• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Finally discovered what was wrong

Barba

Haven't been able to log on in a long long time but after seeing umpteen vets, we discovered that Charlie has allergies. He's allergic to pollen, grass, flowers, weeds etc. This is the reason for the legs shaking and the frantic scratching for so long. The only problem now is treating it. The vet recommended Benadryl but that doesn't work at all.

Has anyone else had problems with allergies?

My sister's dog had an allergy issue. Benedryl made him vomit. She gave him Atarax with good results.

They probably have a similar drug in the Ireland. I know names are sometimes slightly different for the same drug, but you might want to ask your vet about trying it.

Hi, Trapper is allergic to house dust mites, and scratched an awful lot. He is undergoing immunotherapy at the moment, which means he gets a monthly injection at the vets. I can't remember what is in the injection, but I can find out tomorrow and let you know. It has certainly helped, but it is an expensive way to treat it - luckily the insurance covers it.

My last cavalier was allergic to grass mites and chlorphyll. Fairly successfully treated with Urtica urens and Grass and seed remedies obtained through a homeopathic vet. If you need any help just pm me. She had terrible itching especially in grass cutting season and when it got hot. Hope all goes well. By the way only cure from conventional vet was steroids.

Our last golden retriever had severe allergies , things you mentioned plus she was allergic to soap.

We finally went to dermatologist and had her tested and she received allergy shots plus meds and soapless shampoos.

Heather R

Thanks for your replies.

Our usual vet told us that there's a vaccine that is made up in Holland that MIGHT work but he said he's never seen it work before. He said it costs 600euro for the initial blood tests and then when they make the vaccine it would cost thousands, which we don't have. Is that the treatment you're talking about Charlifarley?

We've gone through a few tubes of steroid cream KCB. It give him mild relief but he still chews his paws up. Could you PM me any details you have about the homeopathic vet. I've been looking but can't find any around here.

Barba, I thought the name of the drugs in the injection would be on my receipts, but its not - I'll be at the vets on Friday and I'll ask then. I know Trapper had blood tests initially to ascertain exactly what he was allergic to - I don't think they cost €600, but they were expensive, in the hundreds. He occasionally gets a steroid shot if he is exceptionally itchy, but generally speaking, the regular injections are helping - he isn't nearly as itchy as he was.

Homeopathic vets

http://www.bahvs.com/findavet.htm

It might also be worth trying Salmon Oil [www.fish4dogs.co.uk do a good one] - some people have had great results with that.

I know he's been diagnosed with allergies, but has Syringomyelia also been ruled out? Cavaliers are very prone to this, and any scratching in particular should be investigated for this. Sadly people have spent hundreds of pounds treating allergies, and that wasn't actually the cause of the scratching, more an incidental finding.

Same thing Happened to me

Isabelle was tested also before I had her MRI done, for years they told me it was allergies, I had them run that very expensive blood test and it came back showing she was allergic to every possible thing you could imagine. Then they made up the solution for a shot that I give her every 2 weeks, along with every 3 days Atopica. But the doctor told me some of the scratching was also due to the disease of cm or sm, so now she is taking gabapentin 50mg twice a day, So between all of these medications she seems to be doing wonderful. I hope you will find what will help you the best.

Blessings,
Pamela

Charlifarley would you mind PMing me the name of your vet? I feel like we're getting nowhere with our regular vet. When all this started he said he didn't know what it was and asked me if i had any idea what it could be.

Thanks Nicki, i will look into the salmon oil. Syringomyelia has definitely been ruled out. He's had all the tests for that.

Thanks Pamela. It seems more common than i thought. It's just been so upsetting because he seems so irritated. I don't know what else to do.

Thanks Nicki, i will look into the salmon oil. Syringomyelia has definitely been ruled out. He's had all the tests for that.

There is only one test for Syringomyelia, and that is an MRI. Are you saying he's already had an MRI done?

Thanks Nicki, i will look into the salmon oil.

It's just been so upsetting because he seems so irritated. I don't know what else to do.

We've been using a product called Bionic Biotic with Maddie - who has seasonal pollen allergies. The 3 years before this one she had steroids to get her through the grass and weed pollen seasons. This year, so far, she hasn't needed steroids at all. She's been having Bionic Biotic since January. It contains a natural anti-histamine, which seems to be helping. She has Yumega plus oil as well.

However, I know what you mean about them seeming irritated with it. It's terrible, isn't it? She's usually on Tavegil from the vet (an antihistamine, piriton didn't work), though again we haven't neede to give these as much. I'm not sure if we'll get through the rest of the weed pollen season though without a steroid shot. Our pollen count is really high at the moment, and boy can we tell. Poor little mite is quite itchy.

With Maddie it is definitely seasonal - or has been so far. I've always said, if the scratching doesn't stop when the pollen season stops then she'll be MRI'd.

Thanks Madpip. I must look out for the Bionic Biotic. The piriton didn't work for Charlie either, made him terrible sick. He has this all year round so must ask the vet for the Tavegil and try that too.

It's distressing for us so i can only imagine how it feels for them. :-(

Barba, who did the MRI and interpreted it? There's one place whose results I would not trust :l. The other issue is that it could be CM, which most cavaliers will have, even if syrinxes (SM) have not developed. And vets here have a very low awareness of this. But that said -- as he has tested positive to many allergans, that sounds like the place to start. Allergies can be extremely frustrating especially if there are a lot of them. Personally I'd probably be looking at injections if a dog is that uncomfortable. But I would think there are other better possibilities than just Benadryl too. Best of luck in dealing with what must be a very frustrating problem.

Karlin, It was done through Manus Cannon. He's our local vet. We've tried Benadryl, Piriton, Steroids, Steroid cream, all on our vets recommendation. The steroid cream takes the soreness away for a few days but he's still chewing on his paws.

Back