• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Fruits, Green veggies & supplements ?

Reptigirl

Hey everyone.... Just wondering what I can do to improve my dogs diet?

My dogs are eating a large variety of different kibbles by Natures Variety. They are currently getting a variety of there Lamb, Turkey & duck, Rabbit, Venison, Salmon & Chicken.

I also add in fresh carrots, a little plain yogurt, a fish oil supplement and I occasionally ground flax seed to there diet.

My Shepard gets CoQ10 & a daily vitamin supplement with lutein, glucosamine chondroitin supplement & a bilberry supplement. Does anyone give similar supplements to there Cavaliers? If so do they even need to be started in a 6 month old puppy? My Shepard is turning 7 and has been showing mild cateracts that is why I started her on some of them. I sometimes wonder if I had started her younger that she might not have started showing cateracts at the age of 5. I want to make sure my Cavalier gets the best diet possible to help with his future health.

I don't like the idea of raw meats because I have a toddler in the house and worry about Salmonella risk.

What other things I can mix in to give them a good varied diet? I know some people feed fresh fruits and veggies but I have no idea where to start.

Thanks in advance for any info!

my dog eats peas, brussel sprouts, bananas, pears, strawberry, brocolli (she doesnt like too much though), blueberries, nuts! (her favorite snack is hazelnuts and pistachios) except for macademia nuts. Sometimes she gets corn also.
I feed her cooked chicken, brown rice and 1 veggie from the list above, through the mix with Nupro joint supplement an wild salmon oil.

Mine get sardines that they love, raw and cooked veggies, a variety though I avoid peas and sweetcorn (don't agree with Barney) They don't like bananas or lettuce but are partial to satsumas!!(Also left over chicken)
Grapes must not be fed - not good for kidneys apparently

Not sure if that's a help for you!!
:p

Hi
My four have as a meat source chicken wings ,breast of lamb ,lamb chops ,beef mince ,lamb neck ,chicken neck and tripe all raw and all cut up with garden secateurs to manageable size bites to ensure no big bones and of course I am with them till they are finished ,as of now they have one of the above on a seven day rota and an amount of 40 grammes each twice a day and once a week boiled boneless white fish .With the above I add broccoli ,carrots ,cauliflower,white cabbage (all boiled or micro wave in the bag by Sainsbury )occasional corn and peas with a teaspoon of goats yogurt and sometimes some cottage cheese 2 /3 raw whitebait a teaspoon of plain bran flakes one sqr of shredded wheat ,one superdog ultimate nutrition vit tablet and lately one sprout and sometimes some apple ,melon ,strawberries and banana and yumega omega 3 fish oil and an occasional rice cake with no salt ,pooch and mutts joint supplement and a scoop of Keepers mix and two raw eggs ,no shell ,once a week between them and some pro fibre for their roughage ,plaque off for teeth and sometimes some coconut oil as its good for them and a healthy garlic and vit e tablet and for Rosie a seraquin tablet and as a rare treat a fish4dogs fish sqr plus a pillule each of Fragaria and Rhus tox
What does help them all eat such a wide variation of food source apart from meat is of course having four Cavaliers and a good rivalry as to who eats the quickest not that it means they get more as each meal is carefully weighed by me and Poppy ,Daisy and Rosie are all crated when fed and only out when Lily has finished.
Almost forgot my Nupro Gold and Silver which we add on alternate days ,though it looks like sand from New Brighton beach.
We do try and vary but every meal has one meat source and many veg and a range of supplements, and next time on another post I shall repeat my teeth cleaning routine which is fun for me and fun for them and all their teeth are pearly white and I don't think any of them will ever need a dental ,it takes time every night and its not cheap but if they don't have a dental its gotta be worth it .:)

Back