• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Margaret's blog post on Clare Rusbridge's SM research figures and BVA scheme

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
I know there's much in Margaret's latest blog post about the recent presentations on CM/SM in cavaliers, and the incoming grading scheme, that is of interest to breeders because they are the ones scanning and breeding. But I think there's much there for all cavalier owners, as buyers will be seeing new certificates with their puppies that may be indicating the new grades very soon. Also there are some very interesting research and breeding figures for CM/SM.

One thing worth flagging is that certificate results will now give two separate grades: one for CM and one for SM:

It appears that the scan would be graded for CM by alphabet grades and numbers would be used for SM grades.

This is also quite sobering (though also compelling evidence that breeding using scanned, graded dogs *makes a difference*):

Clare Rusbridge's update on SM research had some good news and some bad.......

There has been a well regulated study that shows that the breeding guidelines do work, and we can breed away from early onset SM........

• A x A matings produce 75.9% of offspring that have no SM.
  • A x D,E or F ( affected Cavaliers ) only 41.9% of the offspring have no SM
  • A x unscanned dogs 50.0%
  • D x D, E or F...There were no offspring that are free of SM.

The bad news......55% of asymptomatic breeding cavaliers being scanned through the low cost centres have SM.

The number of scanned SM free males over five years of age can be counted on one hand.

Once again there was an appeal for owners to come forward and volunteer their over five year old stud dogs.

(My emphasis.)

If you are unfamiliar with the existing grading scheme behind these figures, it is explained here: http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/breeding/breeding/advice.html

Dr Rusbridge and Penny Knowler have decided that for the foreseeable future, Rupert's Fund money should only go towards scanning males as these are more influential genetically and having stud results would most benefit the breed and breeders generally. Going on these figures, and from what I hear from breeders themselves, too many scanned females are being bred to unscanned males because breeders cannot even find scanned males. This isn't good for the breed's future so it is hoped the availability of full funding for scans via Rupert's Fund will help bring forward some males -- there is money there right now to scan a dozen or more dogs. :)

Margaret's blog post is here: http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/...Chiari-like-Malformation-Syringomyelia-Scheme

She has some other really interesting posts so her blog here is worth following. (y)

Thank you for pointing this out Karlin - and especially for explaining the grading - someone tried to explain it to me but didn't say that there were seperate grades for CM and SM - now that makes it much clearer!

Off to read Margaret's blog - THANKS MARGARET :flwr:

Yes lots of supposition and misinformation is out there on this scheme and actual research efforts (as well as those deliberately trying to shoot down health efforts through good old FUD -- spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt) so it is great to get a long blog post with detailed notes. (y)

Margaret's Blog Post on Clare Rusbridge's SM Research Figures and BVA SCHEME.

Yes lots of supposition and misinformation is out there on this scheme and actual research efforts (as well as those deliberately trying to shoot down health efforts through good old FUD -- spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt) so it is great to get a long blog post with detailed notes. (y)

Karlin , I do like the FUD description,,there sure has been such a lot coming from the usual Vociferous Cavalier Breeders this week .

If I could just add a Personal Comment , I was accused of changing sides in the Cavaliers' SM Problem, that really sickened me.

I did not think there were sides in the SM Problem for our Cavaliers, in my ignorance , I really believed that every-body wanted the Suffering of Cavaliers to be being helped, how wrong can you get!!!

Bet

Back