• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

ella having trouble walking

anniemac

Can a dog with SM go from no problem walking to having trouble in one day? Its so hard to know with her, since she is going through her eye problems. Last night she would barely walk. I thought there was trouble seeing at night, but this morning same thing. I will call her and she will walk a few steps then stop. She did not sleep last night which is abnomal. I gave her gabapentin and tramadol but it did not help. I don't know what is wrong.

She is going to the optomologist today which is where her neurologist is. I have not been able to reach the neuro dept this morning. I am so sorry I have not responded to e-mails I have just been really sad lately

Oh goodness so sorry to hear this :( Yes it could be just her eyes - its hard to tell.

I think I would want to at least speak to the neurologist though. Things can happen and change very quickly with Syringomyelia - sometimes we miss the tiny changes and only see things once there is quite a big difference - I think this has happened to all of us over the years.

Good luck with this afternoon - keep trying to get the neuro dept, surely someone can take a message and ask them to call you urgently?

Yes, unfortunately this can happen. The areas of the brain that are compressed with CM, and the areas of the spine affected by syrinxes, can affect motor abilities and many of these things can come on suddenly (as one show owner, Jaime Redniss, has explained in the past, her show boy went from winning in the ring with no previous signs of SM, to screaming in pain, within two weeks). Maybe it would be worth trying Lyrica rather than gabapentin? A lot of dogs respond much better to Lyrica, and I plan to move Leo to it when his current prescription expires. I would think of talking to your vet/neuro about steroids to get her through this difficult patch perhaps or as an ongoing therapy?

Sorry you have been feeling down -- you've had a lot to worry about. All of us who love our dogs and hate the thought of them unwell, understand, regardless of whether we have dealt with SM or not. :hug:

Added: and as Nicki says, could also be her eyes.

Your Rainbow is coming

Dearest Anne,

So sorry to hear of your sadness, and about sweet Ella, I will be praying for the best, you are never alone, when you are ready everyone here will be the support you need, just let us be there for you. I know sometimes we need are space and time to go through things by ourselves, but know I and so many other people love and care deeply. I wanted to quote some words from a song I sometimes listen to by Fireflight its called Name the words are simple "He sees you, He's near you, He knows your pain, He sees you, He's with you, He knows your name. Simple but true let God comfort you, with friends and family your never alone.

Blessings,
Pamela

Hi Anne
I am thinking of you and Ella. I hope the appointments for Ella went well today. I can only imagine the toll all of the stress has had on you and Ella lately. Please know that we all care about both of you. When you are up to it, please post an update.
Hugs to you both,
Irene and Jack

Back