• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Does your dog hate having his nails clipped?

Alfie, my rescue Cav is very good about having his nails clipped, ears cleaned, teeth brushed or anything else you do to him. He loves the attention, and just lays there happy as a clam. Lily on the other had, my SM dog, hates all of the grooming routine, and especially her nails. She screams the entire time her nails are being clipped, and it breaks my heart, but we have to keep them short, because she scratches her ears so much her nails get caught in her ears, and she will just sit there whimpering waiting for us to help her get them untangled. I am always afraid she will get stuck like that while we aren't home to help her. I know all of the grooming routines are uncomfortable for her because of her SM, but we try to be very gentle, and it has to be done.

That's a great video!

When Colin was ill/injured for much of 2009, I had to trim all 3 dogs' nails myself. They were used to him holding them on his lap while I trimmed, so they had to adjust to me trimming with nobody holding them still.

I found that trimming their nails during their nap time on the sofa helped make it easier. I started by doing just 1-2 nails on each dog, and taking a break, then doing a second, third, and fourth rotation with breaks in between. If they tried to sit up while I was trimming, I'd give them a tummy rub and let them lick my chin, which seemed to calm them and they also realized I wasn't going to let them get away.

Back