• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is there a public list? And do SM symptoms chage?

Reptigirl

Hey everyone!
I was just wondering if there are any kind of public lists or searchable data bases of known dogs with SM? I'm sure there has to be some kind of list somewhere but I don't hold much hope that it would be public due to privacy issues. Just wondering... I have spent a lot of time trying to research my pups pedigree and have not been able to find any health info on his ancestors. If it's not public is there anyone I can send a copy of my pups pedigree to who might be able to let me know if there is any health info on record for his ancestors?

Also I'm sure my pup has some kind of SM/PSOM going on. I have been getting as much video footage as I can to take to the neurologist me with me. But something i have noticed .. the symptoms seem to change.. originally I just saw scratching.. then it progressed to yelping, paw licking, going in circles, leg twitching, then biting at his paws... then when it seemed at it's worst.... the symptoms changed....
Now he only scratches when on a harness.. BUT he has started excessively pawing at his head and rubbing his head on the carpet. He will occasionally "bunny hop" while doing this.. but for the most part he hardly ever scratches... he does still sometimes go in circles and when his legs twitch he will sometimes start a paw licking session...but I would say 90% of his "episodes" are pawing at his head while running and rubbing his head on the carpet.... Is this something that is typical with SM? I know not all dogs scratch but has anyone else seen such a large variety of symptoms that change?

Sorry if I'm asking questions that have been answered on here before... Not having any luck finding the answers.... I've been worried sick about poor Flash and his appointment still seems so far away! I keep second guessing myself about passing up the sooner appointment with an Intern of Internal Medicine that my vet wanted to send me too..... I KNOW the neurologist is who we NEED to see... I just hate waiting and watching poor Flash have these episodes several times a day... it is really bugging me!

Here are two U.S. websites where you can look for health testing information by looking up names in your dog's pedigree:

Orthopedic Foundation for Animals
http://www.offa.org/

CHIC - Canine Health Information Center
http://www.caninehealthinfo.org/

I believe it costs the breeders to have the information listed, so some breeders who do health testing may not have it listed here. I don't know if you can read the actual testing reports. There is no MRI/SM/CM information on the databases (last time I checked).

I don't think either list dogs for MRIs. There is a CKCSC health registry set up by Anne Eckersley that lists some dogs that are MRId and the UK Club also has a list of MRId dogs -- but in the latter case it is really important to realise these are simply dogs that have been MRId and results are not noted. It is NOT a list of dogs with good scan results.

Given the symptoms you are seeing -- and if no other cause has been found -- I would definitely get in to see a neurologist. It could be PSOM, CM, SM, or have some other cause but if you have eliminated what the vet can do in seeking conditions it makes sense to just go to a neurologist. The videos can be useful but a clinical exam will tell a lot on its own before they recommend anything further. Best of luck as you look into all this further.

Back