• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bad night. Chloe just had a crying episode

ChloeTheCavalier

Since her MRI last week (which confirmed a moderate-severe case of SM with a significant syrinx in the neck area), Chloe had been doing noticeably better. She was put on Prednisone, so that may account for the improvement, but she's been wanting to run around and go up stairs, her tail's back to wagging -- everything seemed to be getting normal again.

But then I noticed today that her tail was sometimes pointing a bit downward again, and her personality seemed off and more subdued. And just a few minutes ago while she was laying down in my mom's room, I heard her screaming for the first time since her first pain episode two weeks ago. It was high pitched, crying scream that lasted a few minutes. Previously, her only other verbalization of pain were yelps when being picked up.

I was only able to film the end of it but it went on much like what you hear in the video, but a little worse, more frantic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwLHaIjDUIY

I don't know what has caused this. She was just laying down. This past week since the MRI, we have been limiting her activity as per the doctor's instructions.

Right now she's just laying on the bathroom rug by herself, with her eyes open. I don't know what to do because the neuro's office is closed right now. I thought she was going to be able to be okay on medication. :(

I'm so sorry to hear this :( ((((hugs)))) to you - I think that screaming is the worst noise I have ever heard.

Is Chloe only on Prednisone? I think she perhaps needs something like Gabapentin too - have a look at Dr Clare Rusbridge's treatment diagram

http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk/part4.htm#35

scroll down to

Click here for a treatment Algorithm for veterinary surgeons

and click on the "click here" section - I'm not clever enough to do a direct link, sorry.

It is trial and error getting them onto the right medication that suits them and works effectively.

I think you need to speak to the neurologist urgently - it's good that you have the video. You can see she is trying to hide herself, but it also shows the lip licking which is generally connected to obsessive-compulsive disorders where the dog does a repetitive behaviour. Air licking like this has also been connected to syringomyelia.

At least one of my affected dogs has shown this symptom.

Take care and keep us posted - I hope you manage to contact them this morning.

I am sorry to hear about Chloe, my cavalier has moderate sm, thank God , hasn't had a crying episode. He was put on prednisolone and relatively high dose of gabapentin and rimadyl when first diagnosed a year ago. His condition is quite good a year on. He is currently on pregabalin ,tagemet (cimetidine)and an anti-inflammatory.
It's my constant fear that his sm will eventually progress and that I know the crying or yelping will distress me very much I have decided to go for the surgery option early next year to give him the best chance to have an near normal life that dogs should have. It's a very personal decision but reading from the forum, a lot of sm dogs survive quite well just om medication and I am also aware the surgery will not stop the scratching episode sometime my dog has.
I hope your neurogolist will find the best solution for Choe.
Good luck

Chloe just had a Crying Episode

I am sorry to hear about Chloe, my cavalier has moderate sm, thank God , hasn't had a crying episode. He was put on prednisolone and relatively high dose of gabapentin and rimadyl when first diagnosed a year ago. His condition is quite good a year on. He is currently on pregabalin ,tagemet (cimetidine)and an anti-inflammatory.
It's my constant fear that his sm will eventually progress and that I know the crying or yelping will distress me very much I have decided to go for the surgery option early next year to give him the best chance to have an near normal life that dogs should have. It's a very personal decision but reading from the forum, a lot of sm dogs survive quite well just om medication and I am also aware the surgery will not stop the scratching episode sometime my dog has.
I hope your neurogolist will find the best solution for Choe.
Good luck

Chloe just had a Crying Episode

I am so sorry to hear about Chloe ,I have never forgotten the Screaming in Pain from the wee Tri in the PDE TV Program ,and never will.

I do hope you will get a bit of Relief for Chloe

Bet

I'm sorry to hear that Chloe had a bad episode. Hope you manage to speak to your Neuro and get some more pain relief for her.
All of us with SM dogs dread that sort of thing happening.:(
Hope you are holding up OK :hug:

Oh poor Chloe, how upsetting this is. If you can't get hold of your Neuro Vet
can you see if your regular vet will prescribe her some Gabapentin as she is this bad.
Please let us know how you are both doing. Hugs to you both :hug:

I'm so sorry. It's so upsetting when you feel you can't help them when they get like that, some others have had good advice for you. I hope that Chloe is better today.:hug:

Thank you for all your support and kind words.

I should have noted that Chloe is already on Gabapentin (100mg, 3x a day) and Prilosec (10mg, 1x a day). She has been on the Prilosec since 2 weeks ago, which when we first saw her exhibit a pain/vertigo episode from the SM. The Gabapentin she started a few days after the Prilosec..

What has been the second most distressing thing is that it all happened so quickly. Literally, 2 weeks ago she was completely fine, being a crazy, active and playful puppy-like dog. Yes, she did scratch and face rub for the past year, but it never seemed to bother her and she never acted uncomfortable/in pain.

The first most distressing thing is seeing her in pain, though. The crying/shrieking only lasted for a couple minutes but still, your heart truly aches.

This morning, she seemed as though last night never happened. I have emailed both Dr. West and the resident we had dealt with, as well as called them. I'll update you all with any news.

Hi everyone.

I sent an email to Chloe's doctors at Animal Medical Center in NYC that morning. The doctor (not Dr. West) said that we should up Chloe's daily Gabapentin to 200mg, 3x a day (previously was 100mg, 3x a day). So we've been doing that for the past 2 days. She seemed to be doing fine, however I just spoke with my dad (who is home with her currently) and he said around 1 this afternoon, she was laying down and suddenly started crying again. She kept walking getting up and walking to different places while crying. Now she's fine again, but still, it wasn't a good sign.

I know that Gabapentin takes a few days to really kick in, so I'm praying that she'll be doing better on her upped dosage. We have a followup appointment with Dr. West in a week. Will keep you updated.

Best of luck with the increased dose -- if no result after a week or two, I'd talk to them about Lyrica perhaps?

I'm so sorry you and Chloe are going through this. Best of luck with the increased dosage of medication. I'll be thinking of you two!

Back