PDA

View Full Version : My dog Scooby and Living with MVD

smarsden99
23rd October 2010, 04:32 PM
Hi,

Iam new to this website but I have found much information and comfort from reading other peoples postings regarding their dogs and MVD.

My cavalier scooby is 8 (and three quaters) years old , we got him as a puppy when he was 6 months old, we rescued him from a pet shop as he was desperately skinny and found he had a tummy issue. We took him to the vets and they referred us to Liverpool university small animal hospital and they found a food intolerance which we cured. Then at 1.5 years he started to show signs of fatigue when on his walk so we got him checked out again and found he had a PDA of his heart and needed a major op to correct it. We paid over 5000 to have this operation and it fixed his heart and gave him a new lease of life ........

He was great until October last year when he developed a cough , we went to the vet and he diagnosed him with a grade 4-5 heart mumur and mid stage Mitral Valve. He was put on Fortekor and Water tablets for a few months but earlier this year they didnt seem to be working, so are vet gave him Vetmedin and that gave him a second lease of life....... However over the last few months he has had some awful collapsing spells and we have had to restrict his exercise . Last sunday morning we were awoken by his yelping and we ran down stairs to find him collapsed again , we rushed him to the emergency vet and he gave him an injection and after being shaky for a couple of days he seems to have come back from this experience....

We have reviewed his medications with the vet and increased his water tablets but the vet has told us hes a 'ticking timebomb' and could go at any moment...:( I have had scooby longer than my children and hes like my first child to me , Iam not giving up hope that he will be with us at christmas and see his nineth birthday out in January all we can hope is that when it does happen he goes peacefully and as I tell my son he can run free in the fields in 'Doggy heaven'........XXX

Sharon.

Kate H
23rd October 2010, 09:45 PM
Dear Sharon

Many of us on this forum have been where you are with Scooby. It is heartbreaking, two of my Cavaliers have died of heart failure due to MVD. Others will probably be able to give you more advice than I can, though it sounds as if your vet is doing all the right things. Just three things from my experience. Remember that Scooby doesn't know he is reaching the end of his life, or even that he is ill - just that his body isn't working so well; all he needs from you is practical care and LOTS of cuddles. Knowing that you are going to lose your little dog quite soon can actually be a blessing, because it gives you time to prepare yourself and to begin the grieving process, and to be thankful for the time you have had and still have with Scooby. And finally, it has been very clear with both mine when the time has come to help them on their way - there is a particular look which says very clearly 'Mum, I can't manage any more, please help'. In the meantime, Cavaliers are great lovers of life and even in heart failure will continue to enjoy what they can - the love of their owners, perhaps a few steps in the garden, some special food (my Meg loved pieces of freshly cooked chicken fed by hand) - they are amazing little dogs, so I hope that Scooby will manage Christmas and his birthday. They are especially precious when, like Scooby, you have helped them through illness and difficulty earlier in their lives.

I hope this helps:hug:

Kate, and Cavaliers Oliver and Aled

HollyDolly
24th October 2010, 12:52 AM
Your could ask the vet if he would consider giving Scooby Vetmedin and Fortekor together. This combination certainly helped my dog Cassie and feel sure it gave her some more comfortable months. It is so sad when you see them struggle but it sounds as if you are providing all the love and care he needs.

Nanette

smarsden99
24th October 2010, 07:46 AM
Thanks to the people who have replied to my post. We are combining Vetmedin and fortekor and he seems to be a little more stable. He is getting so spoiled as always he had spag bol for tea for a treat yesterday and today we are all off to grandmas and she spoils him more than me :)

I will keep you posted on his progress.

Thanks again , its made me cry but given me hope....... XX

Bet
24th October 2010, 09:02 AM
Dear Sharon

Many of us on this forum have been where you are with Scooby. It is heartbreaking, two of my Cavaliers have died of heart failure due to MVD. Others will probably be able to give you more advice than I can, though it sounds as if your vet is doing all the right things. Just three things from my experience. Remember that Scooby doesn't know he is reaching the end of his life, or even that he is ill - just that his body isn't working so well; all he needs from you is practical care and LOTS of cuddles. Knowing that you are going to lose your little dog quite soon can actually be a blessing, because it gives you time to prepare yourself and to begin the grieving process, and to be thankful for the time you have had and still have with Scooby. And finally, it has been very clear with both mine when the time has come to help them on their way - there is a particular look which says very clearly 'Mum, I can't manage any more, please help'. In the meantime, Cavaliers are great lovers of life and even in heart failure will continue to enjoy what they can - the love of their owners, perhaps a few steps in the garden, some special food (my Meg loved pieces of freshly cooked chicken fed by hand) - they are amazing little dogs, so I hope that Scooby will manage Christmas and his birthday. They are especially precious when, like Scooby, you have helped them through illness and difficulty earlier in their lives.

I hope this helps:hug:

Kate, and Cavaliers Oliver and Aled

MY DOG SCOOBY and LIVING WITH MVD

Sharon, as Kate says , you will get that look from Scooby , when he is telling he has to go.

It's so hard but for Scooby's sake bite the bullet, and let him go.

Just take every-day as it comes just now, some will be good ,some bad.

Thinking of you,

Bet

smarsden99
7th November 2010, 03:33 PM
HI all,

The latest is that my little lad scooby is still with us , I have got some kind of optimisium so I have puchased him a advent calendar like I have done for the last 8 years so he has to stay :)

The vet has played around with his medication and hes on 1 whole fortekor , 2 half frusimide and 2 vetmedin daily and touch wood he hasnot collapsed since and his coughing is minimal. We had him for a checkup at the vets last wed and his chest is clear and he seems to be stable for now.......

Fingers crossed cl*p

goodie2su
7th November 2010, 05:06 PM
I'm so delighted to see that Scooby is well and stable,
thinking of you all,
huge hugs
Su

Teresa
7th November 2010, 08:05 PM
I have read this post for the first time and am sat here having a little tear!! (Silly moo) Kate what you wrote is so lovely!!

My Barney is the same age as your poorly dog and I thank god every day he has been blessed with a healthy heart - he has a few other niggles (SM mild symptoms grrrr) but otherwise fine. I am so sad for your little lad.......

I am at the time of taking each day as it comes with my cat (17 1/2 with kidney failure) We have the philosophy of she's ok today so that's fine, we will face tomorrow tomorrow.

I hate the thought that at some point I will have to face the frear of making the right choices to help my animals on the way, I am well know at the vets for leaking loads when taking the childrens small animals in at the end of their lives.

Please take comfort that you have done and continue to do the very best for your little Scooby dog, and that he's had the very best you could offer to him....

Take Care, Teresa Barney and Cassie...xx

smarsden99
9th November 2010, 01:38 PM
Hi,

Thanks guys for your latest posts :-)

Scooby is my special little man and he means such alot to me , I have been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and its been a tough year for me with my health , he has been my constant companion and our walks although short when Iam having a bad day mean the world to me and him and its our 'special time'. He went to the groomers last week and got his hair cut he is all fluffy and cute again.......

I have stopped thinking too far into the future and enjoy every day when I come down in the morning and his little face and wagging tail are there to greet me ........

Thanks again for all your kind words and support ..... It means so much to me and scooby XXX

smarsden99
19th November 2010, 09:48 AM
Hi,

Its been a mixed update this time , scooby seemed to be doing veyr well on his adjusted medication routine until the last couple of days.

He is now suffering with Syndcope episodes like this morning he was desperate for a wee but came upstairs to find me I followed him back downstairs and he fainted in my hallway and wee-ed everywhere. My husband rushed over and scooby was completely un-conscious it took a couple of minutes for him to come back around.

We rushed him to the vets but he said there is nothing we can do for these episodes apart from increase his frusimide again and rest him completely.

Everytime this happens I think 'this is it' then he seems to come back , Iam accepting that the end is not far off but it doesnt make it any less painful .........:(

Sharon

ElleBelle7
24th November 2010, 12:04 PM
I just wanted to offer you some hope, I guess.

I have an 11 year old Cavalier, called Jasper. He has MVD. He had the collapsing episode you have described, and spent the night at the vets. When we picked him up, they said he had less then seven days to live.

That was three months ago, and he is still going strong. My advice would be to listen to the complete rest bit, though. No walks, and no stairs. If Jaz is allowed upstairs, he gets worse for a while. We have a stairgate up now, and he is carried up and down. I thought it would be so cruel taking upstairs away, as he loves wondering the house, and loves being outside, but he's so much healthier he can play and enjoy his garden now. We are now hoping he'll make his birthday in April.

Good luck with this all...I have fibro so I know how CFS affects you, and how important pets are. I hope you've got a long time with him yet.

E x

smarsden99
28th November 2010, 01:20 PM
Hi Elle,

Thanks so much for your reply . Its reassuring that other can offer hope for my lad , I have done what you said and restricted his exercise and NO STAIRS!! Also I spoke to the vet and he has put him on a Pottasium based Dieretic which is supposed to be good for dogs with Syncope. Hes been on it for a week and fingers crossed no further incidents. I have got him a Doggy Advent Calendar and his 9th birthday is Jan 10th so fingers crossed.

I hope your dog Jasper is doing ok and you are ok with your fibro. It seems likes these situations come together I got struck down with CFS and scooby took a turn for the worse......

Fingers crossed we have a good xmas and so do your family.

Thanks again
Sharon
X

wallyhansen
17th December 2010, 12:44 AM
Hi Sharon,

My boy Wally was diagnosed at age 7 with MVD, never needing medication, and never showing any signs of MVD.. until 5 days ago, he is now age 13 and 2 months, and his breathing seemed laboured, and he was struggling to eat, this comming from a Cavalier that use to win food eating competitions. !! To watch him breathing was so hard, as it reminded me of how my own mother struggled for breath before she died.. I rushed him to the vet, thinking it was his last ever trip,, I sat in the vets tears streaming down my face, this dog has been my sole mate, my best friend, my everything..He spent the day in hospital, having tests done etc.. I was so pleased when I was told I could pick him up, he is now a grade 5 MVD and is on Duretics and Vetmedin, his breathing is a lot better, but still laboured, and the vet has said he is not in pain.. I have noticed small improvements, even today he rolled himself around on the carpet on his back, rubbing his mouth on the floor.
I know his days are now numbered, and I am on borrowed time, so I am enjoying every moment with him. Taking lots of photos, and spoiling him even more than before. I just hope he goes on a while longer, and Rainbow Bridge can wait for him,
as I need him more than the Bridge.
I hope your little dog goes on to live longer for you.
Pam & Wally dog.:luv:

smarsden99
17th December 2010, 03:25 PM
Thanks Pam.

Scooby is nearly 9 and has a grade 5/6 murmur , I would love him to get to the same age as your cavalier but I fear its not his fate. He has been on medication for a year and is still ok so fingers crossed for another year..... Its his 9th birthday on january 10th ..........

Merry christmas

XX

smarsden99
21st December 2010, 06:10 PM
Hi all,

The latest news on scooby is he is still with us :D . About 3 weeks ago after he had a severe syncope episode I asked the vet to contact the cardiologist to ask about any help we could give him to help with these fainting spells. The cardiologist came back with a suggestion to put him on prilactone. He is now on 1 fruisimide per day and 1 prilactone per day as well as vetmedin and fortekor !!!

Up to now we have not had any repeat syncope episodes but the prilactone seems to make him poo very runny :( Still the main thing is he has got a stable good quality of life and is being spoiled and loved every day and we dont look too far in the future just take a day at a time...

Here hoping he gets to 9 years old on Jan 10th 2011 (keeping everything crossed).

Merry christmas to you all.

Sharon and Scooby
XX

ByFloSin
21st December 2010, 06:55 PM
I';ve no idea how I missed this thread before Sharon and I am not sure what I should say to console you. Perhaps it's to take each day as it comes and be happy that Scooby is still with you.

Most of the dogs I have had over the years have had some kind of mvd at some time in their lives, but none of the symptoms you have described with Scooby.

Two of my dogs have disabilities, particularly Holly with a serious auto immune disease. I do sometimes look at her and wonder how long she will be with us. It's been two mostly joyful years so far. She has been an inspiration to all that know her in the way she copes with a life far removed from normal and I treasure the time I have been lucky enough to have her, which is how I think you should view Scooby's last days, except that for all you know those days might spread into months or even years. Sometimes these dogs surprise us and miracles do happen.:luv:

jasperpaw
21st December 2010, 07:14 PM
I am so pleased to read that Scooby is still with you, and hopefully will be with you for sometime. I know when my nearly 11 yr old went on medication nearly 2 years ago I feared the worse, he was our first family dog and cavalier, but we still have him and his medication has kept him stable and improved his quality of life , I am learning about MVD all the time, as someone else said they really do surprise you.

smarsden99
21st December 2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks Flo and Pam for your kind words about my situation with scooby , he is happy and stable at the moment so we will see what happens.

Merry christmas to your and your furry families.. XX

Sandrac
22nd December 2010, 10:30 AM
So pleased that Scooby is doing well. It is amazing how they manage to rally round. One minute they are really poorly the next looking as fit as a fiddle.:)

Cinders has MVD and has been on medication for nearly 2 years. Today she amazed me by chasing birds in the park, and playing with her furry toys. I think the snow has given her a new lease of life. :D

smarsden99
10th January 2011, 11:50 AM
:D

Hello All,

Well my little lad has made it !!! Today we celebrate scooby's 9th Birthday!!

He seems to be reasonable stable at the moment , his coughing has come back a bit so Iam playing around with his water tablets to help him but fingers crossed he has not had another Syncope episode for over a month!!

We are just grateful to have my lad still with us and we cherish everyday , he has made xmas and his birthday so who knows !!!

Off to give him a treat and a hug..

Sharon

susandavis1
10th January 2011, 11:52 AM
:hppybdy::hppybdy: dear scooby, enjoy your special day.

Nicki
10th January 2011, 12:01 PM
Just fantastic news, I've copied the last posts across to general chat so that more people see it and can share your joy :biggrin:

Cathy Moon
11th January 2011, 12:48 AM
:jump::hppybdy::jump:
:lotsaluv::lotsaluv: Happy 9th Birthday Scooby :lotsaluv::lotsaluv:

mommytoClaire
11th January 2011, 03:42 AM
I just saw your thread this evening, and wanted to add my happy wishes for Scooby and you that he made it to his 9th birthday and you were able to enjoy your Christmas with him too b*n*n*.

Keeping you both in thought and prayer.

smarsden99
11th January 2011, 11:37 AM
Hi ,

Yes scooby had a great day , he spent it with me , we had a small walk in the morning , kisses and cuddles all day , treats and then he was treated to chicken dinner for his tea.

He went to bed with a smile on his face and a full tummy :D

We live in the now and not the future with him and he has proved the vets wrong who wrote him off last year , hes my little fighter.

Sharon and Scooby XX

Gina G
11th January 2011, 04:57 PM
Congrats to Scooby and you:rah: Happy 9th Birthday Scooby:lotsaluv:

smarsden99
13th January 2011, 05:43 PM
Hi,

Thanks everyone for scooby's birthday wishes.......

We were awoken at 6am this morning with scooby yelping in the kitchen , me and my husband bolted down stairs to find scooby in his bed looking very stressed and he had wet his bed.......

His breathing was laboured so I quickly calmed him down and administered his heart medication to help him. Previously when this has happened he has quickly had a syncope episode but fortunately he didnt this time and I hope its thanks to his new medication hes been on for about 6 weeks.

Within another 40 minutes he had managed to be persuaded from his bed and my husband went outside with him while he had a wee. Then he came back in and wanted a biscuit and rodeo bar so I knew he was ok....

I called the vet and he thinks it was triggered by a muscle spasm which is common in older cavaliers around their hips/legs and this would have caused him pain and stress. I have been watching him like a hawk all day and probably wont sleep tonight,,,,

Fingers crossed hes ok.......

Sharon and Scooby....

Ddavis
14th January 2011, 10:14 AM
Wow, this has been an emotional thread to read.

I have lost 2 dogs to MVD with the second one, although on medication deteriorated very rapidly. I just wish I or the vet that was trying to help him at the time knew about Vetmedin ..... seems like the miracle drug for dogs with MVD.

With my first Cav who went on to the ripe age of 15 ... it was a roller coaster ride. Waking each morning and holding your breath until you are sure she is breathing, waking her up from naps when you don't see her breathing (the getting that 'why did you wake me up look'), when coming home heaving a huge sigh of relief when you see her waiting with tail wagging when you open the door ......

Seems you really have the right attitude in living each day as it comes and showering Scooby with love .....

I sincerely hope you have lots more time with your boy .....

smarsden99
18th January 2011, 12:37 PM
Thanks Darlene for your kind words......

My little lad is still stable at the moment and not had anymore 'incidents' at the moment , we are going away this weekend and he is off to stay with his grandma and she will spoil him rotten.......

Sharon and Scooby

:o

smarsden99
4th February 2011, 05:14 PM
Hi everyone,

The latest on my lad scooby is he is still stable at the moment , his cough has gone quite nasty and is a little more frequent.

The one thing I have noticed is that he doesn't bark anymore????? I dont think he can because his cough and breathing wont support it........

Iam so glad he is still here and hes still happy and eating well , its just every little bit of him I lose like his bark is MVD taking one more part of his personality....

He still gives great kisses and cuddles so its not taken that from him

Sharon and Scooby XXX

Nicki
4th February 2011, 05:45 PM
So pleased he is still with you, albeit struggling a bit :(

It's sad as it must feel like you are losing little bits of him :( but how wonderful that he still loves his cuddles, and is obviously still creating precious memories :l*v:

He's obviously still enjoying life and his dinner!!

Thank you so much for the update, we often think of you.

Margaret C
4th February 2011, 06:08 PM
Thank you for the update.

We are all here still cheering your wonderful Scooby on.

smarsden99
11th February 2011, 10:58 AM
Hi All,

Thanks for all your kind words about scooby it means alot to us.

Just thought I would tell you me and him were outside today and when I was getting up to come back into the house scooby got all excited and started to bark and he didnt cough once ....... I cried my eyes out as I thought that part of him had gone its been so long since I heard him bark I thought he couldnt.....

Thats my little fighter :D

Love Sharon and Scooby XX

gyoselyn
11th February 2011, 08:40 PM
Yay, what a great news!! I've been reading your posts and so happy to hear that Scooby is doing well get his bark back cl*p Keep us updated and thinking of you both often, miracles do happen :o

jasperpaw
12th February 2011, 06:03 PM
Great to read that Scooby is doing so well - he seems a real little fighter.

smarsden99
13th February 2011, 10:33 AM
:(

Hi All,

Right out the blue last night scooby had another syncope fainting episode , I noticed his breathing was a little bit laboured and when I went into the kitchen he followed and went to the door. I let him out and he went for a wee , I followed him and then he yelped and went over on his side . I shouted for a husband who came out and we got him back conscious after about a minute and my husband carried him into the house where he came round properly but was a little subdued.

These syncope episode are a real reality check , we are slowly losing the fight against scoobys illness as my husband said one day he will collapse and wont come back.......

Speak Soon

Sharon and Scooby

XX

susandavis1
13th February 2011, 03:43 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Scooby's episode, sending you hugs :hug::flwr:

Margaret C
13th February 2011, 06:10 PM
I'm thinking of you and Scooby.

gyoselyn
14th February 2011, 07:10 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about scooby's episode. :( Thinking of you both and sending a lot of :hug:

Tania
14th February 2011, 10:04 PM
I am sorry you are all going through this. My thoughts are with you and Scooby. :hug:

smarsden99
15th February 2011, 09:54 AM
Hi,

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts , we are still battling on and scooby hasnot had another syncope episode so we are taking each day as it comes and hoping for the best....

While hes still here there are lots of cuddles and kisses and treats going about and we are keeping everthing crossed he stays with us a bit longer ..... :xfngr:

Will let you know how my little fighter is getting along.

Sharon and Scooby XXX

Kate H
15th February 2011, 10:41 AM
Dear Sharon and Scooby

Thinking of you at this special and precious (if heart-aching) time. Hospice care for Cavaliers...

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Pepe
15th February 2011, 10:58 PM
Thinking of you Sharon and Scooby, we are going through it aswell, my dog Buster is 6 years old, and has been on meds for a year now, we are making the most of him as he has breathing troubles for the last fortnight.

smarsden99
21st March 2011, 09:13 PM
Hi All,

Well its been a while so thought I would update you on my special boy scooby. He is still with us , no more syncope episodes since the last one a month ago . His cough is slightly worse so Iam adjusting his fruisimide to compensate. He is still happy , eating well on a short exercise program and getting all the love and care he could ever need.....

We dont wonder what the future holds we live for the moment and ever moment with scooby is special , hes my little fighter and has always been since he was a puppy..

Love
Sharon and Scooby
XXX

Margaret C
22nd March 2011, 12:45 AM
Thank you for the update.

Scooby is a very special little dog and there are many people here cheering him on.

SASS
23rd March 2011, 06:39 PM
I am new to this site as of today and noticed that your situation with your Scooby is similar to mine with my cavi Rocky. Rocky is 8 and half and in advanced stages of MVD. He is on a lot of medication: frusimide, vetmedin, fortekor and prilactone. Recently he had 1litre of fluid drained from his abdomen as he couldn't lie down due to having to keep his head elevated to breathe. I read somewhere on the internet about the drug Moduret which is another diuretic and so far this seems to have worked very well in keeping his abdomen from re-filling. I just wanted to know if you had any experience of this medication at all?

Thanks
Sass:http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/images/smilies/loopy.gif

Hi All,

Well its been a while so thought I would update you on my special boy scooby. He is still with us , no more syncope episodes since the last one a month ago . His cough is slightly worse so Iam adjusting his fruisimide to compensate. He is still happy , eating well on a short exercise program and getting all the love and care he could ever need.....

We dont wonder what the future holds we live for the moment and ever moment with scooby is special , hes my little fighter and has always been since he was a puppy..

Love
Sharon and Scooby
XXX

smarsden99
25th March 2011, 11:20 AM
Hi Sass,

Sorry to hear about your cavalier rocky , scooby is on the same medication apart from Modurat , I have never heard of that before ?????? How much is he on and is this aswel as his other medication??/

At the moment we have not had an issue with scooby and fliud building up but we have had numerous 'Syncope' episodes where he passes out and its very frightening....

I hope we can keep our boys going for a while longer.....

Take care

Sharon and Scooby
X

smarsden99
30th March 2011, 10:30 AM
hi All,

Until the last couple of days I was believing that scooby would tick on for a while yet , but 2 days his breathing went worse. He seems to be making a real effort to breath , hes not panting but his breathing sems 'laboured'. We took him to the vets this morning and they said there is no fluid build up on his chest , its just 'Part of his condition' and its obviously getting worse. They suggested I up his fruisimide tablets and see how he goes but he very restless and its tearing at my heart to see him struggle and it seems to have come on so quickly.

Does anyone have any experience with this happening and has anyone got any ideas of what I can do to help him.........

Thanks
Sharon and Scooby XXX:(

Margaret C
30th March 2011, 11:15 AM
hi All,

Until the last couple of days I was believing that scooby would tick on for a while yet , but 2 days his breathing went worse. He seems to be making a real effort to breath , hes not panting but his breathing sems 'laboured'. We took him to the vets this morning and they said there is no fluid build up on his chest , its just 'Part of his condition' and its obviously getting worse. They suggested I up his fruisimide tablets and see how he goes but he very restless and its tearing at my heart to see him struggle and it seems to have come on so quickly.

Does anyone have any experience with this happening and has anyone got any ideas of what I can do to help him.........

Thanks
Sharon and Scooby XXX:(

You and Scooby have fought so hard and so long. I do hope that increasing his frusemide helps him.

You are such a loving and caring owner, Scooby has been so lucky to be owned by you.

Do you think that in telling you that 'this is part of his condition' the vet is trying to warn you that the symptoms will get worse?

I have had cavaliers for many years and fought the same battle. Sometimes the hardest thing is to realise they are not going to bounce back one more time.

I'm thinking of you both.

Kate H
30th March 2011, 02:19 PM
The later stages of Congestive Heart Failure put enormous strain on the heart, and eventually it just wears out, and there's not much medicines can do to help. So Scooby may be nearing that moment, though Cavaliers have a great capacity for keeping going, as you have already discovered. In the meantime, don't let him make any unnecessary effort - carry him out into the garden to let him potter about and do his business if he feels up to it, feed him by hand if eating is an effort (the meat from a fresh-cooked chicken thigh goes down a treat!), make sure he drinks by holding the bowl for him if necessary, and let him spend lots of time resting on your lap!

All Scooby really needs at the moment is your company on his journey - one of the greatest privileges of dog owning. When the heart can't do any more, Scooby will tell you, and then it's up to you to be beside him for the next step.

Thinking of you both :hug:

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Sydneys Mom
30th March 2011, 04:24 PM
I really don't have any advise for you other than to just enjoy whatever moments you have with Scooby. I'm so sorry you both have to go through this.

Pat
30th March 2011, 04:38 PM
There may be one other factor influencing his difficulty breathing (called dyspnea) - and that is PAH or pulmonary arterial hypertension. This is something that can happen with advanced degenerative valvular disease, and it also happens with right sided heart failure such as heart failure caused by heartworms. It can also be caused by a pulmonary embolism. This dyspnea can get so bad that a dog cannot comfortably lie down (this is called orthopnea).

PAH is when the blood pressure is high only in the vasculature of the lungs - rather than systemic hypertension when the overall body blood pressure is high. Most GP vets know little or nothing about PAH, but cardiologists are quite familiar with this problem and with treatment. It is diagnosed from measurements taken during an echocardiogram - or ultrasound of the heart.

Sildenafil (brand name Viagra) and similar drugs in that class can be pretty successful at treating PAH. The drug made a huge difference when my Capers was in end stage heart failure, and he actually went on for two more years with very good control of symptoms from the cocktail of heart meds that he took. I also used the drug for one of my shih tzu that had acute severe PAH as a result of a blood clot to the lungs, but her case was so severe that she only lived a few weeks after she threw the clot to the lungs despite aggressive treatment.

Pimobendan (Vetmedin) addresses PAH somewhat, but adding sildenafil can be very effective. Also, adding furosemide when the problem is really PAH rather than CHF actually makes the PAH worse rather than better. (My shih was first diagnosed with CHF by a GP vet, and he started her on furosemide. When my cardiologist saw her, he diagnosed PAH and stopped the furosemide because she was not in CHF and started Vetmedin and sildenafil. Cardiologist told me that overdiuresis made the PAH worse.)

Pat (and I also agree with Kate and Margaret)

smarsden99
30th March 2011, 07:36 PM
Hi all,

Thank you all so much for your kind words and advice. Thanks to Pat for medication advice , its very helpful.

I have spent some of the day in tears , touched by all your support and also watching my special little boy as he coughs and makes such an effort to breath. His little tail is still wagging and we spent some time in the garden this afternoon, however much of the journey we have left together I have always treasured every moment I have shared with him , hes a special little boy.....

Will let you know how he gets on.....

Sharon and Scooby XX

Nicki
30th March 2011, 08:45 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this news Shannon - you and Scooby are in our thoughts

smarsden99
1st April 2011, 02:32 PM
Hi all,

The latest with my little fighter is his breathing is still laboured but he has perked up a bit. I came down this morning to give him his pills and got a nice greeting which I havenot had for a few days ....... He is still coughing but not as frequently..........

We live day by day but hes my special little fighter and I love him with all my heart....

Sharon and Scooby
XX

smarsden99
10th April 2011, 10:12 AM
Hi All....

The latest with scooby is his breathing seems to have improved a little better with the additional fruisimide tablet Iam giving him a day. He is starting the show signs of exercise intolerance as we have been going for very short walks but he gets very tired and slow , he is so excited to go out but considering this time last year we were going on 30 minute walks a day and he was runnning around , we can only manage 10 mins max now and we walk slowly.

On the plus side we had a bbq yesterday and he enjoyed a burger and some turkey so he still loves his treats....:)

Love
Sharon and Scooby
XX

Nicki
10th April 2011, 12:04 PM
treasure those moments and memories - thank you for the update we often think of you x

It's good that he still wants to go and 10 minutes isn't too bad considering what's going on. I'm sure you know to avoid the heat - I think it's been quite warm in some areas?

That might make him a bit worse they tend to find the heat hard to manage.

Hoping for many more happy times yet for you.

LoneStar Hoopy
15th April 2011, 03:43 AM
I'm so sorry to read about Scooby. Our little guy Bobo is the same with this disease. A few weeks ago he started to really slow down & was panting constantly. He looked really depressed & his eyes were glazed over. I work in a vet clinic & took him in, we done bloodwork & rads & his white blood count was 31, way too high. Dr thought it was either a tumor or infection. I honestly thought we were going to lose him that day. It was the longest days ever waiting for the radiology report to come through on the fax machine.
Thankfully there was no tumor so e started him on Baytril antibiotic & within 2 days he was his usual bright self.
It was so hard trying to think of ways I was going to tell my husband. We adopted this little guy & he is definitely his puppy, (its too cute).
Its so sad to see his tail wag & him get so excited when we go to take the other 2 out for their walk, we did let him come but he gets to the end of the driveway & gives up! Thats when me & him get to send some special alone time with an extra treat that the other 2 don't get!

Hope your little guy is doing good?
Take care, xxx

eg93
27th April 2011, 05:39 PM
You and Scooby are in my thoughts. I truly hope that he gets better. However, when you say you rescued Scooby from a pet store, does this mean that you bought him from a pet store? Although it may seem like a nice thing to do and that little face in the window is hard to walk away from, people who do this are supporting the puppy mill industry. I hope other people also realize this when considering buying a puppy from a pet shop to rescue him.

smarsden99
28th April 2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks for your well wishes eg93.

I did buy scooby from the pet shop the reason I did this was that he was in an awful state , he was just 4.6kg in weight , with his ribs showing and I refused to let him stay in that awful place any longer. He was over 6 months old and not housetrained ..... We took him out of that place and gave him the treatment and care he needed and have loved him deeply for the last 8.5 years .

I do not support buying dogs from pet shops , but I will be honest with you if I saw another dog in the awful state scooby was in a pet shop window I would do it again in a heartbeat....

Sharon and Scooby

Kate H
28th April 2011, 04:45 PM
Several people have mentioned how much their dogs with heart problems miss their walks. I can highly recommend buying a pet stroller/buggy. This enables them to go on walks along with the others and get a change of scene (and different things to sniff!), and if they get tired you can pop them in the buggy. Fastened in, but with the front cover down, they can watch the world go by and be fussed by the people they meet. When Oliver had to have several weeks of rest after his spondylosis was diagnosed, I bought a buggy and it meant he could go everywhere with us but only do little bits of walking - trotting free in the park for a few minutes instead of on lead on pavements. They fold up just like a baby buggy, so are easy to pop into cars - our only problem was trains, negotiating the buggy up steep steps and across wide gaps between train and platform, and then finding space for it in the train was a nightmare; I don't know how mums with small babies manage, though there was usually a kind soul to come to our rescue.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

PS If anyone in the West Midlands area ever needs a buggy for a few weeks, you'd be welcome to borrow ours, as Oliver never uses it now.

mommytoClaire
29th April 2011, 04:13 AM
Kate that is a GREAT idea. They just love being outside.

I always tease hubby that Claire would rather us get one of those snuggly packs that folks use for their babies where the baby is in the sling on the front of your body.....and his response is, 'go ahead, I'm sure that most of our friends already knows you are a bit over the top already'. Spoil sport!

smarsden99
30th April 2011, 01:39 PM
Hi,

Scooby has spent the morning in the vets , he has got fluid build up on his lungs and was having trouble breathing..... They have given him a fruismide injection and he is weeing for britain so hopefully it will clear the fluid and give him some relief.....

Iam very stressed and worried about him......:(

Sharon and Scooby

Sydneys Mom
30th April 2011, 03:38 PM
Sorry about Scooby. Being in the emergency vets is always so stressful. Hoping Scooby gets relief soon.

mommytoClaire
30th April 2011, 11:42 PM
Keeping you both in thought and prayer. Let us know how it goes....

jasperpaw
1st May 2011, 11:12 AM
So sorry to read that Scooby is at the emergency vets and hoping he will soon be feeling better soon.

smarsden99
5th May 2011, 12:00 PM
Hi,

Thanks for all your kind words.........

I thought I would give you an update , scooby was very poorly on saturday with fluid build up on his chest , he went to the emergency vet they admitted him and gave him a water injection and monitored him. I got him back later on saturday he was very poorly and had two syncope episodes.

It was touch and go over the following couple of days but I stayed up with him 24/7 and we increased his tablets to help him on the vets advice , then on monday night he looked at me and said 'I think I feel a little better' and his tail wagged , then he started to walk around and wandered around the garden .

He went for a checkup yesterday and his chest is clearer and he seems ok , he is still on the edge but whenever I think we are going to lose him he seems to fight back..... So for now he is still here and still getting all the love and hugs you could ever want ....... I love him deeply.

Sharon and Scooby

Nicki
5th May 2011, 12:41 PM
Hi Sharon thank you so much for the update. YOu are doing a fantastic job of caring for Scooby - he is lucky to have such a wonderful guardian.

It's hard to go through these episodes, but amazingly the heart seems to compensate and they can pick up again as you are finding.

I think it is important to be around for him, not least for him to be able to go out for a pee when necessary also you have some special time together.

I would write down the things that you think are important to Scooby to give him a good quality of life

These would be on my list:

managing a short walk - even if it's only 5 minutes for the stimulation

Being able to eat and wanting to eat [2 different things]

Able to move about happily

Do you have water bowls near him at all times? [sure you do but just checking]

Managing a cuddle or whatever affection he wants

Being able to breathe when lying down

Not in any distress

As you have discovered you are going to get times where things aren't totally under control and you need to speak to your vet then to see whether it is a temporary crisis or a permanent state.

Most importantly obviously - is Scooby still enjoying life?

Mine have always let me know in some way or other that things are coming to an end - and once you've made that decision, there is an air of peace about them even if they are in pain. I think there is also a calmness within you that the decision is made, even though it's not the one you would like.

Yes in some ways we'd like them to go naturally - but actually going naturally can be extremely unpleasant for them, and a huge shock to us to find them suddenly gone. Sometimes it is nice - one of very few I heard of was the lady sitting in her garden with the Cavalier at her feet, and he just passed away peacefully - she bent down to fuss him and he'd gone - but that is SO rare. [It was Rupert's Grandfather]

So I've always felt it is better to go too soon, they don't suffer at all that way. Too many are left too long and that is just cruel and you feel guilty forever.

I always have the vet out to the house, put the other dogs away - have something very special for a treat - such as prawns or sausages - and have them lie across my lap on a towel and feed them the treat whilst the vet lets them go. This way it has always been peaceful. You can have time to say goodbye - and I always let the others say goodbye too so they don't look for them [will still grieve but not search which can be distressing]. I'm not sure if you ahve any other animals in the house.

Kate H
5th May 2011, 01:33 PM
Cavaliers really are amazing! My Meg would wake me up in the early hours of the morning three or four times a week for about six months, gasping for breath and looking as if she was about to die at any moment. I would give her a pill and sit up cuddling her until her breathing eased, then she would sleep for a few hours and go for a walk in the garden, eat a good breakfast and enjoy the rest of her (physically limited) day! When she was finally ready to go, there was hardly any heartbeat left, so her passing was very quick, held in my arms at the vet's.

Nicki gave some sensible advice. If I ever have to do the same for Oliver, I will definitely have Aled with me - he is very dependent on Oliver and is really going to miss him.

Glad Scooby is still enjoying life - in between keeping you on your toes!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

smarsden99
18th May 2011, 05:48 PM
Hi all,

The latest on scooby is we have stablised him for now. I have kept him on the higher dose of fruisimide as it seems to be keeping his chest nice and clear..... I have noticed his breathing is not laboured and he is alot happier.

He is eating , drinking , wandering round the garden 5 times a day , having lots of treats and cuddles and he has had his hair cut today by a nice lady who does it at home.

Does anyone know how to add a photo to a post as I would love to add an up to date picture of my special boy.....

Love and hugs
Sharon and Scooby
XXX

mommytoClaire
19th May 2011, 01:18 AM
What WONDERFUL news!

Can't help you on the photo thing. It was amazing I was able to get an avatar with mine LOL!

denali
19th May 2011, 09:09 AM
Thats wonderful news :)

If you upload the picture to something like photobucket or flickr you can just use the code to put it up, or if you would prefer you can email me the picture and i can put it up for you :) Just send me a private message if you want me to do it and i can send you my email address :)

smarsden99
9th June 2011, 06:55 PM
:)

The latest with Scooby is that fingers crossed :xfngr: he seems to be stable at the moment , no more syncope episodes and the slight increase in fruisimide is keeping his chest nice and clear so he can breath well. Was surprised becuase when it was hot the other week last time scooby was struggling but this time he was happy and walking round the garden with me in the afternoons and his cough wasnt any worse.....

Iam realistic and know we are borrowing time with him but for now he is doing well and getting spoilt rotten as usual

Will keep you updated :*nana:

Sharon and Scooby

Sydneys Mom
9th June 2011, 07:05 PM
So glad that Scooby is still fighting and his struggles are stable. :jmp:

The time with our furry ones is so short to begin with so we take whatever precious time we have. Sydney is now struggling with fluids in his abdomen. I've updated his dr. visit on my previous thread.

Keep on spoiling Scooby. Sending belly rubs his way!

(Sharon....looks like we were writing to each other at the same time)

Nicki
13th June 2011, 09:19 PM
Sharon sent me this photo of Scooby to share with you
http://www.pbase.com/trevorhughes/image/135556563/large.jpg