PDA

View Full Version : Acupuncture making things worse?

MishathePooh
26th October 2010, 10:16 AM
Misha had his first acupuncture treatment about 19 hours ago and just yelped in the night. I brought out some treats and called him over to me. He is walking with a head tilt. He had a needle in the left side of his neck and that is where he is tilting. I am really worried that this could be serious? Here I thought acupuncture was a can't hurt might help. Any advice would be appreciated.

The vet is certified by the Chi Institute in Reddick, Fl and apparently gets referrals from Ohio State University Vet Hospital so I assume that he does good practice.

Nicki
26th October 2010, 11:18 AM
As long as the acupunsturist is experienced and knowledagable about the condition, and obviously trained and licensed, then there should not be issues about visiting them [ - they need to be a vet to carry out acupuncture, as your practitioner obviously is]

However it is not unknown with treatments such as acupuncture for a healing crisis to occur, where the dog [or person!] apparently gets worse for a while - in fact, this is often a good sign as it means they are having a very strong reaction to the treatment.

I used to find acupuncture very painful and would be worse for a while, but then it would really help with pain relief.

I think however I would telephone and tell them what has happened, so they can advise you further.

MishathePooh
26th October 2010, 12:58 PM
Yes, I will phone them as soon as they open in a half hour.

Thank you for your encouraging words; they are making me feel less panicked.

MishathePooh
27th October 2010, 01:10 AM
The vet said that his symptoms were definitely not normal. We opted for Traumeel today and a return visit tomorrow if he's not better. The Traumeel seems to be doing the trick though so fingers crossed.

Nicki
27th October 2010, 10:06 AM
So glad the Traumeel is helping - and I think it might be sensible to go back and see them. I would have thought that they would have wanted to see him straight away if they thought something was wrong though?

MishathePooh
28th October 2010, 12:57 AM
Misha got a lot worse last night, crying through a lot of it. He apparently has a neck issue (not by where the acupuncture point was though). The vet thinks he fell and probably wrenched it. We're hoping rimadyl will help him a lot. Fingers crossed. He seems ok now, I just really hope he's OK through the night.

Nicki
28th October 2010, 10:08 AM
Ahh that would make sense - we always assume things are connected but of course, it can be something else causing it.

I hope you had a better night - are you going back today?

MishathePooh
28th October 2010, 02:54 PM
He did seem a bit better last night, only cried 2x but still seems very uncomfortable. He is sleeping better but when he wakes up he is in a state. He can barely hobble for a minute and then seems to be able to slowly walk it off into a normal gait. I called to ask about adding tramadol and/or methocarbamol to decrease his pain level.