• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Need healing thoughts and prayers for Misha

MishathePooh

Misha has symptoms of a disc issue. He spent most of the week in horrible pain crying out every 1.5 hours and stumbling about. He has been to the vet three times and he is now on Rimadyl, Robaxin and Tramadol. The Robaxin was started yesterday and he has only whimpered once or twice today and has not been stumbling.

I am in a tough situation as crate rest may be the best thing but he does not do well in a crate at all so for now he is confined to a small room. The vet thought this would be fine.

I haven't slept at all this week and spent all of yesterday sobbing. Since the Robaxin has seemed to help in the last day, I'm praying that he makes a full recovery without need for surgery. He is 14 and has MVD so surgery would be quite hard on him. Any thoughts and prayers would be welcomed at this time. He is my best bud. Thanks All.

So sorry - poor wee fellow. I wonder how he did that?

I really hope they can treat it without surgery, as you say that would be very hard on him - I didn't realise he was that age, that's amazing.

Would he cope with a puppy pen? At least then he could be in the main room with you and see what is going on.

Sending positive healing thoughts for him - and comforting ones for you, I really do understand having been through many dramas with my own Cavaliers, especially the oldies. :(

Take care and keep us posted, I hope he will be a lot more comfortable today.

Sending lots of get well wishes to Misha. It is so hard seeing them in pain, but pleased to hear the latest addition to his drug regime is helping. :hug:

Things are not looking good. Hopefully he doesn't have any crisis in the next 15 hours. He is going to Ohio State tomorrow morning for MRI and surgery. They will put him on IV medication as soon as he gets there.

Unfortunately he has gone underneath puppy pens with lids and climbed out of them otherwise. My sister's English Cocker just had the same surgery 6 weeks ago and he was allowed to be out and about right after surgery as long as he was kept quiet. She said she couldn't even tell by behavior that he had even had surgery. I'm hoping Misha will fare well with the surgery, fingers crossed.

My 9 year old blenheim had cervical disc decompression surgery last year and was a new dog one day after surgery. I tried to keep him quiet, but by one week after surgery, he was back to jumping on the furniture (which the neurologist said was o.k.) without any signs of pain. Actually, he jumped on furniture by 3 days after surgery without any signs of pain, but I tried to stop him as much as possible by keeping him in a crate. Like your sister's cocker, you would never know he had just had surgery except for his incision. He had been on prednisone, metacam, tramadol, and rimadyl at various times for the pain before surgery without any of them having any effect. It has been almost a year since surgery and he has been pain free since that time.

Witnessing your dog in such pain is a horrible thing. I hope Misha pulls through alright. Although Oliver's incision was huge, the surgery was easy for him. He does not have MVD though. I hope Misha has an easy time of it. We'll be anxiously awaiting word of his surgery and recovery. Good luck.

I am so sorry to hear that. I hope the medication continues to help and he will not need surgery. Take care of yourself:hug:

So sorry to read this - do hope everything goes well, you are in our thoughts :flwr:

MRI of spine all clear. Brain looks great too except a few tiny areas which the vet said should be unrelated. They did a spinal tap, results tomorrow. Also starting steroids tomorrow.

Hopefully steroids due their job. Fingers and grinchies crossed for improvement. Very relieved that he did not need surgery.

Thanks for everyone's well wishes! I really think they help.

from us and ours to you and yours
sending lots of love ,good luck and best wishes
we have got everything crossed for you both

andy ,hils ,mischa ,candy ,gemma and lucy

Sorry to hear about Misha. I am thinking of you both and sending lots of healing and positive thoughts your way. Keep us posted.
:lotsaluv:

Steroids working really well. Misha is out of control with energy. Tomorrow is his last day on them, so I really hope he does well off them.

He is unfortunately weeing and pooping in the house a lot now when we are gone because of the prednisone. Someone can let him out every 3-4 hours, but it is not enough. So we have another day or so of carpet cleanings. (If it were long term, I would work out something different).

On the down side, his feet and ears have all been clipped short since we thought it was a slipped disk and didn't want him slipping or stepping on his ears! On the up side, we had two lovely walks in the park this week and because of his short fur, we were asked how old our "puppy" was :)

Back