• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Surgical management for SM

AgilityLola

Hi,

As my family and i have decided that surgery is probably the best option for Lola, we were wondering what everyones experiences were with surgical management. How long did it take for your dog to recover? what was the effectiveness of the surgery? has it made a big difference to your cavie's wellbeing and quality of life? were there any problems during surgery? Also did your insurance company cover the surgery without any problems? This is opne of my parents' worries, as the surgery is very expensive.

Thanks,

Naomi

Hi Naomi,

I just wanted to say I feel for you and your parents being in this position. My Jack has not yet had surgery, but I have heard that recovery depends a lot on what type of duraplasty is used (mesh, swine, etc) . As for insurance, I would call the company and ask them. Did they cover the MRI? If so you may have a good chance of them covering the surgery.
I am sure others on here can provide first hand experience as to the recovery and quality of life post surgery. There is also lots of past topics on it on the forum, as I remember searching through it when I first discovered this wonderful site!

Hi Naomi,
My dogs had the surgery in 2009 at Long Island. Ginger my female cavi didn't have syrinxes but the base of her skull was opening.......... my male however, had a devastating syrinx. I just took them for their second annual follow up and they are doing great. Charley's syrinx has shrunk and they continue to do well. Ginger my female however, has had PSOM and just had another myringotomy.

Both my dogs are part of the study in Long Island and have been under the care of Dr. Marino and Dr. Loughin. The recovery was long and scary. My dogs had to stay there for about 12 days and once home had restricted activity for about 3 months. When they were discharged they were on prednisone, tramadol and gabapentin. It was difficult for me, a lot of tears seeing them like that. Its a personal decision and at the time I felt that it needed to be done, specifically for Charley. You can email me if you have specific questions.

Last edited:
Hi Naomi,

I just wanted to say I feel for you and your parents being in this position. My Jack has not yet had surgery, but I have heard that recovery depends a lot on what type of duraplasty is used (mesh, swine, etc) . As for insurance, I would call the company and ask them. Did they cover the MRI? If so you may have a good chance of them covering the surgery.
I am sure others on here can provide first hand experience as to the recovery and quality of life post surgery. There is also lots of past topics on it on the forum, as I remember searching through it when I first discovered this wonderful site!

My Dad rang up Sainsbury's yesterday and thankfully they have no problems with doing the surgery, phew! we're just discussing dates now, as Clare is on holiday we're not sure when the surgery will be now.

Back