• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Named and shamed puppy farmers/brokers

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
If anyone is looking for a cavalier in the UK I recommend bookmarking this forum to keep an eye on who has been named and prosecuted as a puppy farmer.

Please do not forget a 'puppy farmer' anywhere -- US, Canada, Australia, Ireland, UK -- does not have to have a large operation. Some of these operations have just a few breeding dogs. They may make it look like the dogs are kept inside as 'loved family members' when you visit. Do not be deceived. Be concerned if they have more than one breed on the go, or several litters at the same time. Grill them on health issues if they are not breed club (eg cavalier club) members -- I can only think of less than half a dozen non-club breeders (but who still get national kennel club registration in their countries) who breed responsibly -- this is VERY VERY RARE. Responsible health-focused breeders also do NOT advertise in small ads in newspapers or online and often have very deceptive websites so again -- educate yourself on what to look for when puppy-buying!!

There is also good information there in the puppy farm section overall to educate on the scum who continue to breed and the brokers and shops that continue to sell poorly bred puppies of all breeds. Cavaliers are one of the most bred and exploited breeds and dog buyers and owners need to understand the truth behind the activities of these morons, who masquerade as 'breeders', generally sell lower cost puppies (to sucker you in!) and just slap any two dogs together, never follow the MVD or syringomyelia breeding protocols, and often have a vet happy to rubber stamp a meaningless 'health certificate' for these poor puppies.

If you are looking for a puppy please read our puppy buyer's guide carefully (more are listed on the homepage of the board, in the column on the right) so that you know what to ask and look out for and the absolute MINIMUM you should be seeing in terms of health certs.

Don't buy from these cretins and condemn adult cavaliers to a life of breeding hell and puppies to a high risk of serious health problem as as they mature. The breed needs YOU to be a responsible buyer just as much as it needs responsible breeders. (y)

Wish I had all this info earlier Karlin!! I am guilty off falling in the trap of buying through a broker, even though at the time, when i researched her, i found only good things. She said the cavies came from her family in Ireland and was a really nice lady. I tried to find a cavie elsewhere and they all had a year waiting list in the NY area. I know better now! Even though i am grateful every day for my angel, i realize that i am not helping the breed by being such an uninformed buyer.

Don't be hard on yourself :flwr: -- you bought when you didn't know; and these people excel at seeming to be wonderful, friendly and helpful to dupe people into buying their puppies.

Now you are helping the breed greatly by being able to tell others what not to do -- you have the experience to tell others what to watch out for! :D

Just adding what you have said really helps -- not least as I forgot to clearly state how many brokers there are out there who buy in puppies from these awful breeders and so typically claim they import them from a relative in Ireland/UK/wherever!

Thanks Karlin. :p By the way, There's a flat out warning on the particular woman i got Blondie from on this forum! her name is Marie Larkin (celtic irish puppies)
I'm sure you've heard of her!

Oh, Karlin - the stories on this website are absolutely heartbreaking (including Tania's account of Molly's provenance). :(

I had to steel myself to look, but am so glad that you alerted us all to it, as it is very well constructed and written. Doesn't leave any room for doubt as to what's going on though:cry*ing: Let's hope the Campaign will have lots of success in helping to stamp out this absolutely vile trade.

Have signed up for the for e-newlsetter on there, so no excuse for being ignorant now!

Wow!! Just looked on the puppy love forum to discover puppy farms in North Lincolnshire - Can't believe it happens so close to home!! :( :( :(

If anyone is looking for a cavalier in the UK I recommend bookmarking this forum to keep an eye on who has been named and prosecuted as a puppy farmer.

Please do not forget a 'puppy farmer' anywhere -- US, Canada, Australia, Ireland, UK -- does not have to have a large operation. Some of these operations have just a few breeding dogs. They may make it look like the dogs are kept inside as 'loved family members' when you visit. Do not be deceived. Be concerned if they have more than one breed on the go, or several litters at the same time. Grill them on health issues if they are not breed club (eg cavalier club) members -- I can only think of less than half a dozen non-club breeders (but who still get national kennel club registration in their countries) who breed responsibly -- this is VERY VERY RARE. Responsible health-focused breeders also do NOT advertise in small ads in newspapers or online and often have very deceptive websites so again -- educate yourself on what to look for when puppy-buying!!

There is also good information there in the puppy farm section overall to educate on the scum who continue to breed and the brokers and shops that continue to sell poorly bred puppies of all breeds. Cavaliers are one of the most bred and exploited breeds and dog buyers and owners need to understand the truth behind the activities of these morons, who masquerade as 'breeders', generally sell lower cost puppies (to sucker you in!) and just slap any two dogs together, never follow the MVD or syringomyelia breeding protocols, and often have a vet happy to rubber stamp a meaningless 'health certificate' for these poor puppies.

If you are looking for a puppy please read our puppy buyer's guide carefully (more are listed on the homepage of the board, in the column on the right) so that you know what to ask and look out for and the absolute MINIMUM you should be seeing in terms of health certs.

Don't buy from these cretins and condemn adult cavaliers to a life of breeding hell and puppies to a high risk of serious health problem as as they mature. The breed needs YOU to be a responsible buyer just as much as it needs responsible breeders. (y)

Karlin ,

Thanks for this.

Just Joined

Bet

Back