View Full Version : Rosie's Patelle Problem ?

Brian M
12th November 2010, 01:43 PM

I am aware that Rosie has a luxating patella which was discovered by my own vets about 15 months ago and then confirmed by Martin Deutschland at Chestegates but it is a problem that Rosie appears to be managing so successfully that I thought it was now fine . So I have to decide whether we should operate or leave well alone .This morning I had to take Lily to the vets for her annual booster so while there I raised Rosie's problem again and once more my vets advice was inconclusive but we have now agreed for a referral to North West Surgeons to seek specialist consultation to enable a conclusive decision to be made.


Anybody any experience of here and Bet I notice Simon Swift is there ,I presume this is the same one you have mentioned.

Kate H
12th November 2010, 02:08 PM
Hi Brian

Don't know this veterinary group (though they look a formidable lot for orthopaedic cases!), but yes, that's 'our' Simon Swift who does most of the heart checks for the Cavalier clubs. He teaches and researches at Liverpool University Vet School, so I suppose this practice is his other job!

Hope they can advise you about op or no op.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Brian M
12th November 2010, 08:20 PM
Hi Kate

And thanks for reply .The phone went just after I got home at 5.30 and an appointment was made for 2.45 pm on Friday 19 th Nov so a week today with a Ben Keeley also told no food after 10.00 pm the previous night.


Whats the best place for me to read up on patellas, are they graded regarding severity as of course I hope the outcome will be that little Rosie's patella is manageable and no op is required.

Has anybody on the forum been there .

Brian M
19th November 2010, 10:34 AM

Rosie goes to see them this afternoon just hope they say its a Grade 1 and manageable so therefore nothing needed to be done .

19th November 2010, 05:34 PM
Praying for you and rosie

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Brian M
19th November 2010, 08:17 PM

Thanks Annie .We were with Mr Ben Keely for almost two hours and like at Chestergates I ended up running around the car park :o with Rosie trotting after me .She was diagnosed as Grade 2 with her left patella and a slightly lesser problem with her right, so we have now to consider surgery therefore I have made a provisional appointment for 21 st December, but the surgery will only ever do one patella at a time then a minimum wait of eight weeks and then if required the other one .He also suggested that her problem of six weeks ago was possibly related to her patella acting up rather than her disc's and after further examination does not expect them to be a cause of any future trouble , he confirmed that she showed no visible indication of SM .
I am 80% sure we will proceed with one then probably leave her other till after our summer holidays but still to my untrained eye there is no visible sign of any patella problem.
I enquired about Mr Simon Swift and he told me poor Mr Swift had quite a serious motorbike accident three months ago and is only just now getting back to work .
He was polite pleasant confident and gave me no reason to doubt his ability nor that of the premises .My thanks go to Tupup and Tania for the mobile phone verbal support both going there and coming back, though on the way back while talking to Tupup (via bluetooth ) while in the outside lane on a foggy night I missed my turning and came back via a quick visit to North Wales .:o

19th November 2010, 08:35 PM
Poor Mr Swift - that sounds awful. I hope he has a good recovery.

Sorry to hear about Rosie's grade 2 :( I think you are very sensible going ahead with the surgery - and then once she is fully recovered, see how she goes and maybe get the other knee done.

It's great that you have confidence in Mr Keely - that makes such a difference.

Sorry you had a detour coming home, but glad you are back safely now. :)