• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Mocha started to sleep too much and he seems low in energy

mocha

Hello everyone,

I tried to find some information regarding my situation on the forums, but couldn't bump into anything relevant to my situation.

Mocha is a 3 year old Cavalier King Charles and had no health problems in his past.

Now, the problem is that he is very low on energy and sleeping all day long. Eating and everything is just very normal. Nothing weird about him except the sleeping pattern.

Nothing has changed like his food or house or anything. Everything is just the way it used to be. Only thing is that my fiancee got a new puppy (Border Collie) and he is VERY(!) energetic and seems like Mocha is bothered with him. They see each other for like 2 days in a week.

I would be more than happy if you could provide me any ideas that will make Mocha happy and energic again.

:(

The first thing I would do is get him checked out by your vet to rule out any health issues that may be causing him to be so sleepy.

Nanette

How much sleep is normal :confused:.mines 5 and seems like she sleeps all day,id say 15 -17 hours solid sleep were shes compleatly out of it.then maybe another 3-5 just relaxinig be very surprised if she was up and about for more than 3 hours.

It could be just that he is getting a bit older and sleeping more, but as Nanette says, the first thing to do with any major change in behaviour is to visit the vet to make sure there is no physical reason for it.

Maybe he is getting so worn out the days he is seeing the other puppy, that it is making him tired?

Are you ensuring he can get away from the puppy when he wants to? Containing the puppy in some way so that he has his own space? It is essential that the puppy is not allowed to continually bounce all over him, especially with a Border Collie, who are renowned for being high energy [which needs channelling with lots of stimulating exercises and training, not just physical activity. I would strongly recommend your boyfriend obtain Carol Price's book Understanding the Border Collie: The Essential Guide to Owning Border Collies and Collie Crosses as Pets]

Mocha could possibly also be depressed by the arrival of the new puppy - I appreciate he is only seeing him two days per week, however Cavaliers are very sensitive and may not appreciate the new arrival. Hopefully in time they will be friends, but it is not really one of the best combinations for playmates.

Mocha could be finding an energetic puppy stressful - not to mention (from his point of view) sharing his space and his owner with another dog. I have a 3-year-old rescue whose way of dealing with stressful situations is to curl up, close his eyes and switch off. As Nicki says, Cavaliers and BCs are a bit like chalk and cheese - we see a lot of collies at obedience shows and when running loose they tend to bowl my two over because they move and turn so quickly, and Aled (my rescue) got really scared when a big border collie 'eyed' him. So Mocha may be telling you he's not happy and would rather not see too much of the puppy,thank you.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Back